Intel question from an AMD guy

narsbars

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
3,331
I have an old PC with an E7500 cpu. Glad to change the pwr. supply, what is the fastest CPU I can expect to find to put in it?
Compaq DX2400.
Yeah, piece of *&^% but not for gaming, and I just can't "not tweak".
 
"Fastest" for socket 775 is technically the QX9770. But considering it is a Core 2 Extreme, it may still command a hefty price and would be considered an unrealistic or bad upgrade, since you could just get onto a newer platform for much cheaper.

What is the motherboard in that build? Since it is a pre-built, it might not recognize newer CPUs such as the Yorkfield line without a BIOS update, if you can find one. See if you can find any documentation stating which CPUs are supported.

If you can support it, I'd suggest looking around for a Q9650 (quad core) for cheapish. Otherwise an E8400, E500 or E8600 would be decent, but not that big of a difference, since those 3 CPUs are also dual-cores, just a bit faster.
 
Thanks. It is some kind of ASUS so if I can find a Q9650, or and E8400 on the H I will give it a try.
 
I just picked up a xeon X3330 on ebay for $80+shipping/tax ($86 OTD). Well worth it for my vm server....775 has life yet :)
 
What is the motherboard in that build? Since it is a pre-built, it might not recognize newer CPUs such as the Yorkfield line without a BIOS update, if you can find one. See if you can find any documentation stating which CPUs are supported.

This is very important.

Thanks. It is some kind of ASUS so if I can find a Q9650, or and E8400 on the H I will give it a try.

I would consider a Q9550
 
Back
Top