Intel pulls quad cores Cloverton, Kentsfield into 2006

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=33151

THE CEO of Intel told financial analysts at a web cst last night that it will release its Kentsfield and Cloverton quad core chips before the end of this year.
The produces had originally been slated for early 2007.

Intel obviously has AMD's so-called 4X4 in its sights. The Kentsfield and Clovertons consist of two dual core processors put together into one package.

Meanwhile, sources tell the INQ that senior Tukwila architect Mike Pachos is leaving Intel to take an MBA at The Wharton School. Pachos worked on the influential but ultimately doomed Alpha EV7. Pachos was a protege of another senior Alpha designer, Scott Breach. µ

Will there be 965/975 (LGA775) compatible versions of these or is Intel going to intro a new socket for these?

my ASUS P5W DH (775) says "-LGA775 socket for Intel Core2 Duo, Core2 Extreme and next generation Mulit-Core CPU"

I sure hope "Multi-Core CPU" might also refer to the quad core but its very vague.

Read the thread I linked to. Those questions are answered there, in the original (non-repost) :).

I'll admit that I'm totally ignorant about quad processors but would having 4 processors really be much of a benefit to the average user? I mean, unless you have software that can take advantage of all 4 processors it will only be useful if you are running 4 separate applications at the same time. How many of us do that?

I do :) i'm like the ultima multi tasker, playing 2 games, reading forums crap loads of browsers open and other various programs :)

Whipsmack said:
I do :) i'm like the ultima multi tasker, playing 2 games, reading forums crap loads of browsers open and other various programs :)
You're going to need 8gb of ram and 2 video cards for that LOL! :p

rubic said:
I'll admit that I'm totally ignorant about quad processors but would having 4 processors really be much of a benefit to the average user? I mean, unless you have software that can take advantage of all 4 processors it will only be useful if you are running 4 separate applications at the same time. How many of us do that?
yes, you can have 4 folding at home instances running per socket!

rubic said:
How about encoding 2 videos, 1 game, 1 download, 1 internet surfing! OOps, I need 5 cores. Cloverton has 8 cores (Dual Quad Cores).

drizzt81 said:
yes, you can have 4 folding at home instances running per socket!

Right. So that means three instances of folding going at full speed while you're playing your game. Or four while you're browsing the Internet.

And it will get even better when they get the GPU client working. In a quad-core, quad-SLI system you could have eight client going at once! :eek:

Two physical sockets with 4 logical CPU's, XP64 I think supports double that.

Back