Intel Pentium D 930 + ECS P4M8900PRO-M mobo $159 @ Fry's NO rebates

found it on newspaper, gonna go check it out now
(this board on ecs website doesn't say it support 930, maybe I can buy the combo and just return the board for some money :cool: )

annaconda said:
Nice price, too bad i don't have fry in my area.
Same here, I'm almost happy there isn't one near me, as I'd more than likely be broke and having to whore myself out. :eek:

alexlyc said:
(this board on ecs website doesn't say it support 930, maybe I can buy the combo and just return the board for some money :cool: )
Nope. At Frys you can't return the mobo unless you returned the CPU also. Been there, tried that.

I've been out of the loop a while, how much better would this setup be over an Athlon 3200? Whould it require new memory? I'm wanting to go to whatever AMD has later in year (Christmas), but am sorely tempted on this if it's big upgrade.. And I can keep using my 6800 GT... :)

If you're talking about an Athlon XP 3200..... It would be leaps and bounds better.

i've spoken to the sales ppl at fry's and they said that they are willing to substitute the ecs mobos for different brands, but i think it's pretty much a YMMV in terms of what they will swap it out for. still worth a try tho as fry's does carry some nice boards as well...now i'm just waiting for them to get the MSI K8NGM2-FID, then it's HTPC here i come.

poopypants said:
i've spoken to the sales ppl at fry's and they said that they are willing to substitute the ecs mobos for different brands, but i think it's pretty much a YMMV in terms of what they will swap it out for. still worth a try tho as fry's does carry some nice boards as well...now i'm just waiting for them to get the MSI K8NGM2-FID, then it's HTPC here i come.

Which Fry's was that at?

Socrilles17 said:
Which Fry's was that at?
seattle (renton) fry's. i called and spoke to them regarding their amd64 3700 combo w an ecs board and they said that they would subsititute an asus board

They will substitute boards... but you still end up paying quite a bit for the board. But with the CPU being this cheap, you'll still come out pretty well.

DriveEuro said:
Nope. At Frys you can't return the mobo unless you returned the CPU also. Been there, tried that.

Are you sure on that one? I just bought this combo in fremont, ca. The cpu price on my receipt is 124.43 + tax and the mobo is 35.55 + tax, total 173.98 after tax. I even asked the clerk about returning only the mobo for refund, and she said yes. But I haven't try it yet, cuz I may give the board to my cousin :D . $173.98 this is heck of a deal for 930, the lowest I have seen is $184 included tax + shipping, and this include a mobo!!!!
If they really allow me to return the mobo for refund, then I will end up paying only $135.32 for the cpu :rolleyes:. Man, i should buy more of these and resell the cpu on ebay or something lol!

PS. I forgot to ask them if I can just buy the cpu w/o the mobo.... damn it! stupid me lol

alexlyc said:
Are you sure on that one? I just bought this combo in fremont, ca. The cpu price on my receipt is 124.43 + tax and the mobo is 35.55 + tax, total 173.98 after tax. I even asked the clerk about returning only the mobo for refund, and she said yes. But I haven't try it yet, cuz I may give the board to my cousin :D .
I've done it once, but Fry's has been strictly enforcing it the last couple of years.

If you look at the back of the receipt, the return period for CPUs is 15 days. Motherboards have the regular 30 day return period. You might be able to complain and get a refund on the motherboard on day 16. :D

I have a very good reason to return it lol, ECS's official website didn't say this board support 930, it only support Pentium D 820/805, even if it's running, its not stable for sure, so i bet fry's will refund it :D

ppl are selling this combo on ebay as we speak.... sigh... even the $179.89 combo awhile back ago is on ebay as well...

pretty decent deal but why does Fry's always have to give away ECS mobos? They should just stop ordering them and start packing some decent ones.

I was looking at this last night and I have to say that the MB is terrible, you can't flash the BIOS (it gives errors constantly if you do). It is a great price on the chip though.

I have heard that the reason that Fry's always has deals with ECS mortherboards is because they are both owned by the same company. I have heard that they try to upgrade the mobo if you go in and try to buy the combo.

Maybe you could ebay the mobo and keep the chip.

yog said:
i have heard that the reason that Fry's always has deals with ECS mortherboards is because they are both owned by the same company.
No. Fry's Electronics is privately held by the Fry family. Fry's does seem to be the main US distributor/importer for ECS though. ECS/PCChips is a bigger company than Fry's, so if either company owned the other it would be ECS owning Fry's, but they don't.

ECS's main USA corporate office is in Fremont (the other is in Miami), Fry's corporate office is in San Jose.

But anyways, strange that the BIOS flash doesn't work. Did you change the BIOS protect jumper to enable (remove it)? :p I bought the P4 506 combo with that motherboard on Wednesday and haven't had time to play around with it yet.

pxc said:
No. Fry's Electronics is privately held by the Fry family. Fry's does seem to be the main US distributor/importer for ECS though. ECS/PCChips is a bigger company than Fry's, so if either company owned the other it would be ECS owning Fry's, but they don't.

ECS's main USA corporate office is in Fremont (the other is in Miami), Fry's corporate office is in San Jose.
QUOTE]

Sorry, but you are not correct. Randy Fry do own a portion of ECS/Meritline/Emprex and another excutive of Fry's owns a large stake of ECS as well. I will be able to get teh name of the another person tomm.

yog said:
I have heard that they try to upgrade the mobo if you go in and try to buy the combo.
Wait, you mean if I try to go buy this combo right now, the salesman at Fry's will attempt to sell me a better board? At the same discount, or at full price?

InorganicMatter said:
Wait, you mean if I try to go buy this combo right now, the salesman at Fry's will attempt to sell me a better board? At the same discount, or at full price?

Its a fishing sale... Yes they will/ should try to upgrade you "At full price" for the board, If the upgraded board is normal priced, its still a great deal on the CPU..

The guys at Fry's know me now, They dont try to upsale/ add sell etc... they say hi, They ask what I want, Get the manager for Price match verify..Print ticket.

Yes Frys will price match ANYTHING from retail stores, Even small PC shops, They only need to verify, Mainly by calling the other shop. I love buying WIN XP from them for $76 bucks....

alexlyc said:
ppl are selling this combo on ebay as we speak.... sigh... even the $179.89 combo awhile back ago is on ebay as well...

Like this auction number

He didn't even take off the fry's price tag

Got to love the zoom function on IE7 because other wise it's hard to notice the price tag

When Fry's had the Black friday3800 X2 with ECS MoBo for 279$ I sold the MoBO for 50$. Still can't beat that deal today.

TDub said:
Sorry, but you are not correct. Randy Fry do own a portion of ECS/Meritline/Emprex and another excutive of Fry's owns a large stake of ECS as well. I will be able to get teh name of the another person tomm.
So Randy Fry owns ECS? So ECS owns Fry's? No and no. Sorry, but you didn't bother to read the thread. Look a few posts up and ask yourself if your answer contradicts the original claim yog made: "I have heard that the reason that Fry's always has deals with ECS mortherboards is because they are both owned by the same company." Fry's and ECS are not owned by the same company.

Anyways, do you have a link to back up your claim of a "large stake"? I can find no relationship between ECS and Fry's other than Fry's is a large distributor of ECS boards and computers, including on ECS financial reports which make no mention of "Fry". Meritline is a separate company and Emprex is a house brand of Fry's, but neither of those was brought up so I don't get your point other than you trying to spread rumor as fact.

Shoot, the price of this combo is less than the price of the processor alone on PriceWatch. I picked up two yesterday. The woman selling them to me basically said "You should get the extended warranty since it's an ECS" .. was pretty funny.

Now my media box will scream.

pxc said:
So Randy Fry owns ECS? So ECS owns Fry's? No and no. Sorry, but you didn't bother to read the thread. Look a few posts up and ask yourself if your answer contradicts the original claim yog made: "I have heard that the reason that Fry's always has deals with ECS mortherboards is because they are both owned by the same company." Fry's and ECS are not owned by the same company.

Anyways, do you have a link to back up your claim of a "large stake"? I can find no relationship between ECS and Fry's other than Fry's is a large distributor of ECS boards and computers, including on ECS financial reports which make no mention of "Fry". Meritline is a separate company and Emprex is a house brand of Fry's, but neither of those was brought up so I don't get your point other than you trying to spread rumor as fact.

Dont want to argue with you. Did you see an each and every individual names of stock holder of ECS on any financial reports? Probably not. And I stated that they own a portion of ECS..not the whole company. But I will leave it at this...OK. I dont like Inet fights. So, I done with that point. Sorry Kyle and the rest of [H]. But getting back to the thread it is a great deal. I got the combo to replace my 631.

Timm3h said:
Shoot, the price of this combo is less than the price of the processor alone on PriceWatch. I picked up two yesterday. The woman selling them to me basically said "You should get the extended warranty since it's an ECS" .. was pretty funny.

Now my media box will scream.

Yea it sucks for me as Fry's is nowhere near me. I would have loved to get in on this deal.

TDub said:
Dont want to argue with you.
I wouldn't want to argue with someone either if he was going to call me on fake information. :p

Hello All,

First time poster here. Been lurking forums nearly 6 months, and let me thank you all for your insight and experience on this forum.

I purchased this combo deal from the Fry's store in Chicago this morning. I'm trying to decide if its a scam because they made me sign a printout sheet that says I can only return the product for an exact replacement within 15 days. When I got home I realized the Pentium D930 Processor is the "05A" model, which I'm assuming is "A stepping" model rather than the "B stepping" model.

The motherboards aren't attracting anybody on Ebay. Figured I could get $30 for it when I bought it.

Oh well, live and learn.

Cheers,

CJ

Big Country said:
When I got home I realized the Pentium D930 Processor is the "05A" model, which I'm assuming is "A stepping" model rather than the "B stepping" model.
05A and 05B are platform ratings, like it says on the line beneath it. :p

05A are 95W TDP chips and 05B are 130W chips. I believe all 920/930 chips are 05A.

Your 930 chip will be either a B1 or C1 stepping. If you wouldn't mind, could you post the sSpec code (5 characters starting with SL at the end of the PROD CODE on the box and on the chip) and which Fry's you bought it at?

Big Country said:
Hello All,

First time poster here. Been lurking forums nearly 6 months, and let me thank you all for your insight and experience on this forum.

I purchased this combo deal from the Fry's store in Chicago this morning. I'm trying to decide if its a scam because they made me sign a printout sheet that says I can only return the product for an exact replacement within 15 days. When I got home I realized the Pentium D930 Processor is the "05A" model, which I'm assuming is "A stepping" model rather than the "B stepping" model.

The motherboards aren't attracting anybody on Ebay. Figured I could get $30 for it when I bought it.

Oh well, live and learn.

Cheers,

CJ
Frys makes you sign that sheet whenever you buy a CPU. They only offer a 15 day replacement. This is typical. No scams.

pxc said:
05A and 05B are platform ratings, like it says on the line beneath it. :p

05A are 95W TDP chips and 05B are 130W chips. I believe all 920/930 chips are 05A.

Your 930 chip will be either a B1 or C1 stepping. If you wouldn't mind, could you post the sSpec code (5 characters starting with SL at the end of the PROD CODE on the box and on the chip) and which Fry's you bought it at?

Spec= SL94R

I bought it at the Fry's in Illinois.

CJ

pxc said:
Thanks. http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL94R

B1 stepping. I guess i'll wait for the D 945 next month if Conroe availability isn't widespread. Fry's must have a lot of B1 chips to clear out.

I figured as such, and the mobo is no prize either.

Oh well, I'm waiting for the ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, which should be out shortly, to put this chip in until Conroe pricing comes down.

Cheers,

CJ

Tazzman said:
Yes Frys will price match ANYTHING from retail stores, Even small PC shops, They only need to verify, Mainly by calling the other shop. I love buying WIN XP from them for $76 bucks....

Fry's do price match? how does it work, I mean how do u show them other stores's price? do they check online or just calling the store??

anyone get this combo yet?

I'm considering getting it since I can use my regular DDR ram and AGP video card without needing to buy new stuff.

this looks like a winner deal to get now and upgrade the mobo later?

I'm no a gamer, just do a/v encoding, photoshop, and home theatre stuff with it.

what are your guys' thoughts?

Back