Intel P965 chipset - CPU upgrade

MacLeod

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, need ya to double check me. My dad has an old HP n7680m desktop running a Core 2 Duo E6400 on a P5BW-LA (Basswood) motherboard with P965 chipset. That wont accept the newer Core 2 Quad 9XXX series procs will it? He's only quad option would be the Q6XXX right?

Maybe I just fail at Googling but I cant seem to find a clear answer anywhere.

I'd guess (not looking really) that you are going to be limited to the Core 2 E/Q6xxx as long as it's not 65xx. They have higher FSB and the board may not support it. I had similar issues with my old XPS410 on the same chipset. I got a Q6700 for mine and an E6700 for my wife's and called it a day. Keep in mind there might be other limiting factors, such as the heatsink being unable to cool a faster processor/use a proprietary mounting (my XPS had the proprietary mounting but luckily the heatsink is massive and the same regardless of processor ordered) and limitations of the power supply output.

I actually have an HP pc here with the P5BW-LA. According to HP the only quad you can use in it is the q6600 but that is false. You can use the q6700 also. I should know. I have been running a q6700 in that pc for something like three years now. According to HP tech support back when I called them about this years ago, the guy kept saying "the q6700 isn't officially supported for that motherboard" but when I pressed him as to why, the guy ended up saying something like "ok, it will probably work but I have to tell you that officially it isn't supported". That motherboard does NOT support the q9xxx quads though because the FSB on that board is only 1066.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...tegory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3385406#N94

P965 chipset is limited to 65nm Core 2 processors and 1066mhz FSB (and older stuff of course). The Q9xxx line definitely won't work.

P965 chipset is limited to 65nm Core 2 processors and 1066mhz FSB (and older stuff of course). The Q9xxx line definitely won't work.

I run a 45nm E7500 in a 965P board even though it says it isn't supported. You just need to overclock it to default speeds, but I can get it up to 4ghz :)

However this approach probably won't work for an HP desktop

I better go pull the QX9650 out of my P5B Deluxe board. For the last year I thought it was running great at 3.8 GHz but I guess I was wrong. ;)

Maybe I can go put my E8400 back in that board. That 45nm CPU seemed to work OK.

Same here but with cheapo e3200

I better go pull the QX9650 out of my P5B Deluxe board. For the last year I thought it was running great at 3.8 GHz but I guess I was wrong. ;)

Maybe I can go put my E8400 back in that board. That 45nm CPU seemed to work OK.

Back