• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel P965 chipset - CPU upgrade

MacLeod

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jul 28, 2009
Messages
8,430
Hey guys, need ya to double check me. My dad has an old HP n7680m desktop running a Core 2 Duo E6400 on a P5BW-LA (Basswood) motherboard with P965 chipset. That wont accept the newer Core 2 Quad 9XXX series procs will it? He's only quad option would be the Q6XXX right?

Maybe I just fail at Googling but I cant seem to find a clear answer anywhere.
 
I'd guess (not looking really) that you are going to be limited to the Core 2 E/Q6xxx as long as it's not 65xx. They have higher FSB and the board may not support it. I had similar issues with my old XPS410 on the same chipset. I got a Q6700 for mine and an E6700 for my wife's and called it a day. Keep in mind there might be other limiting factors, such as the heatsink being unable to cool a faster processor/use a proprietary mounting (my XPS had the proprietary mounting but luckily the heatsink is massive and the same regardless of processor ordered) and limitations of the power supply output.
 
I actually have an HP pc here with the P5BW-LA. According to HP the only quad you can use in it is the q6600 but that is false. You can use the q6700 also. I should know. I have been running a q6700 in that pc for something like three years now. According to HP tech support back when I called them about this years ago, the guy kept saying "the q6700 isn't officially supported for that motherboard" but when I pressed him as to why, the guy ended up saying something like "ok, it will probably work but I have to tell you that officially it isn't supported". That motherboard does NOT support the q9xxx quads though because the FSB on that board is only 1066.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...tegory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3385406#N94
 
P965 chipset is limited to 65nm Core 2 processors and 1066mhz FSB (and older stuff of course). The Q9xxx line definitely won't work.
 
P965 chipset is limited to 65nm Core 2 processors and 1066mhz FSB (and older stuff of course). The Q9xxx line definitely won't work.

I run a 45nm E7500 in a 965P board even though it says it isn't supported. You just need to overclock it to default speeds, but I can get it up to 4ghz :)

However this approach probably won't work for an HP desktop
 
P965 chipset is limited to 65nm Core 2 processors and 1066mhz FSB (and older stuff of course). The Q9xxx line definitely won't work.

I better go pull the QX9650 out of my P5B Deluxe board. For the last year I thought it was running great at 3.8 GHz but I guess I was wrong. ;)

Maybe I can go put my E8400 back in that board. That 45nm CPU seemed to work OK.

 
Same here but with cheapo e3200

I better go pull the QX9650 out of my P5B Deluxe board. For the last year I thought it was running great at 3.8 GHz but I guess I was wrong. ;)

Maybe I can go put my E8400 back in that board. That 45nm CPU seemed to work OK.

 
Back
Top