Intel i9 cooler suggestions

Cmon man, the performance of a D14 or better for fifty bucks. That was my argument. Not this is the best air cooler ever made hands down, though it is for the price. If you can see my signature, then yes, you can clearly see I have a lack of experience with sky lake x. But then again, they say each new gen runs hot. The newest cpu I have is a 3770k.. which does run hotter than my x5690, but doesn’t put out the same heat load.

Go ahead buy one what do you have to lose? It’s fifty bucks. Worst case you sell it on a forum and get your money back. Make sure to get the ty-143, 130cfm of goodness. I also have an Ultra 120 Extreme, not the same as TS140P. 6x 8mm pipes on the TS140P, vs 6mm pipes on just about everything else. Although I did see Noctua had a D15 type cooler with 7 pipes in the making, looks interesting. I’m not against Noctua at all, I know they make good coolers, I had one. But 50 bucks vs 90 bucks, same performance is a big deal. And you can get to your ram with no problems. I’m sorry if I was a bit of a dick, but I was up against the wall here, people telling me I’m wrong though my experience with these parts told me otherwise. I am also on my phone the last few days as I just moved and don’t have my computers set up. So I was not quoting and picking apart posts like I wanted to. My intention was not to come here and battle it out, just wanted to connect with like minded individuals.

Ah i see. Your one of those i know everything about everything, pc snobs lol.
Sigh, had you spent 5 mins attempting to understand what was suggested and why. Rather than prove that there was no way under the sun that a $50 hs could be the equal to my almighty $100-150 suggestion. You would have found that Its a 360w tdp heatsink right out of the box and performs nearly as well as the very best dual fan heatsinks and aios available. Oh right lets not forget your precious skylake proc that i couldnt possibly know anything about(yeah, thats sarcasm). Im sure your concerned with the stock configuration not being enough capacity for your ultra rare cpu that we peasants cant possibly know anything about! Dont worry ill spoon feed you that tidbit as well. Swap the ty147 fan with a ty143(or your choice of 120 or 140mm fan. itll accept either) and knock 10c off your load temps.

Why get all butt hurt over a heatsink suggestion? Is it really that fucking important?

Hahaha freeagentt beat me to it!

Last edited:
Ah i see. Your one of those i know everything about everything, pc snobs lol.
Sigh, had you spent 5 mins attempting to understand what was suggested and why. Rather than prove that there was no way under the sun that a $50 hs could be the equal to my almighty $100-150 suggestion. You would have found that Its a 360w tdp heatsink right out of the box and performs nearly as well as the very best dual fan heatsinks and aios available. Oh right lets not forget your precious skylake proc that i couldnt possibly know anything about(yeah, thats sarcasm). Im sure your concerned with the stock configuration not being enough capacity for your ultra rare cpu that we peasants cant possibly know anything about! Dont worry ill spoon feed you that tidbit as well. Swap the ty147 fan with a ty143(or your choice of 120 or 140mm fan. itll accept either) and knock 10c off your load temps.

Why get all butt hurt over a heatsink suggestion? Is it really that fucking important?

Hahaha freeagentt beat me to it!
your perception of what is going on is not at all what is really going on. The only one whos truly butthurt here is you and it shows in your replies.

The fact that i said i was thinking about buying one of these coolers just to see is a pretty clear indication that im not a know it all and really just want to see if this cooler is what its claimed to be. If this cooler is a better cooler then i have no problem admitting i was wrong. But in all honesty. I can only go on the data that is available.

I just want real numbers to back it up. I guess fuck me for that?

Last edited:
For whatever reasons, there isn’t really much out there for reviews, and it was because of that I bought le grand macho rt instead. But the higher tdp rating was bugging me. I tried it anyways, and ordered ty143 at the same time. I don’t regret it at all.

Unless I get banned, I’m not going anywhere. I will continue to irritate you for years. I got pummeled for even mentioning Thermalright. I gave my personal reason why I thought aios were shit and everyone disagreed with me. I knew I was going against a blindly popular opinion as soon as the comments started rolling in. Yes yes might have been out of line mentioning Kyle. But I was thinking he might have been sick of the legions of fan boys here in that moment. He is obviously taking care of his family, the big house and fast cars weren’t enough of a hint that he was doing well? Anyways if Kyle does happen to see this, it wasn’t a dig at you, my apologies.

Anyways, I agree with hititnquitit.

This is the template you seem to follow:

1) Make exaggerate claims.
2) Generalize everyone and the entire community when called out.
3) Start throwing a tantrum.
4) Play the annoying and immature passive aggressive card (i.e. I got you guys to read into stuff! Another me too person! Only this forum is the only one that follows AIO).
5) Have conflicting statements with earlier made statements

No one is ganging up on you rather you did it to yourself by acting like a defensive middle-school punk. I don't care if you don't like AIOs but the fact that you bring up exaggerate claims is why people are pointing you out. I have more air-coolers than AIOs and I prefer air-coolers overall. What I won't agree with is bias opinions from a user who can't recognize that he has a complex with his maturity level in which he generalizes anyone and anything against him which in the end... enables his complexes.

If you don't plan on leaving then that's fine. It is you who kept making these silly exit statements for what? Attention or something?

Your statement "I will continue to irritate you for years" just conflicts with "I agree with hittinquitit". Seriously come on? You agree that the thread de-railed and you admit to trying to irritate people and will continue on?

You want to believe it is "you vs everyone" however in reality it is just you against your own issues. Ask yourself this "Am I right or I just don't want to be wrong?"

Last edited:
What were my exaggerated claims?

Everyone is entitled to take things the wrong way like I did.

And so what if I may have issues? This is a crazy fucking world man what would you consider sane lol?

F this noise. Put a custom loop in with large dual radiators in push/pull and drop some waterblocks onto the sucker and be done with it. I went overkill on a cooling system solution several years ago and haven’t had to worry about cooling ever since...and that’s over 3 different generations of CPUs and 5 different GPUs... nor will I worry about cooling when I upgrade again... or the time after that.

Don't mind me, I'm just dropping in to keep an eye on the good conversation of this thread (y)

That being said, I'm on both sides of the fence. My server has a heatsink (6 heatpipes I believe) with a lower power i3 for basic media/storage duties. This keeps is quiet and reliable. My main PC has a shiny new Corsair H150i Platinum RGB for several reasons: looks both lighting and clean wiring wise, performance (keeps my 6 core OC'd CPU nice and cool) and I generally prefer to see more of my motherboard than a huge HSF covering everything up. That being said, unless you are looking at margin of error, I see high end HSF setups and high end AIO's being pretty neck and neck, certainly not such a huge difference to make the choice between the two overwhelmingly obvious.

Cmon man, the performance of a D14 or better for fifty bucks. That was my argument. Not this is the best air cooler ever made hands down, though it is for the price. If you can see my signature, then yes, you can clearly see I have a lack of experience with sky lake x. But then again, they say each new gen runs hot. The newest cpu I have is a 3770k.. which does run hotter than my x5690, but doesn’t put out the same heat load.

Go ahead buy one what do you have to lose? It’s fifty bucks. Worst case you sell it on a forum and get your money back. Make sure to get the ty-143, 130cfm of goodness. I also have an Ultra 120 Extreme, not the same as TS140P. 6x 8mm pipes on the TS140P, vs 6mm pipes on just about everything else. Although I did see Noctua had a D15 type cooler with 7 pipes in the making, looks interesting. I’m not against Noctua at all, I know they make good coolers, I had one. But 50 bucks vs 90 bucks, same performance is a big deal. And you can get to your ram with no problems. I’m sorry if I was a bit of a dick, but I was up against the wall here, people telling me I’m wrong though my experience with these parts told me otherwise. I am also on my phone the last few days as I just moved and don’t have my computers set up. So I was not quoting and picking apart posts like I wanted to. My intention was not to come here and battle it out, just wanted to connect with like minded individuals.

TS140P is an old cooler, hard to find reviews, but it does NOT look impressive. It beats single 120mm fan Noctuas, but that is about it. Single 140mm fan on the U14s is almost 10 degrees cooler here. In Canada it's only $5 less than a Noctua D15.
thermalright_true_spirit_140_power_125w_7v.png
thermalright_true_spirit_140_power_125w_12v.png

Last edited:
Last edited:
Yeah I’m not sure what’s going on there.

I do have a Le Grand Macho RT which is as good as a D15, and TS140P is slightly better. Here is LGMRT:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermalright-le-grand-macho/6.html

And the review I originally linked to:

https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.p...ower-new-air-cooling-king-mini-review.269339/

Edit:

I bought both of my coolers from the states, much cheaper than what they were charging on amazon.ca

Picking the review most favorable to your opinion is cherry picking. Here is another show weak TS140P performance:
temps.jpg

It's beaten by almost everything from Noctua, even some of the 120mm models.

The Grand Macho OTOH actually does hang in there is the reviews I read, which makes sense, since it's a more massive heatsink.

TS140P reviews are so out of date that most of the pages have vanished or the images are gone. If this HSF was really as good as you proclaim, I think it would still be used in comparisons today.

From the reviews that remain, it looks like inconsistent performance at best.

I would take the safe bet and go Noctua, which has consistent performance in dozens of reviews I have read at this point.

Ahh ok, so old reviews from unknown testers are ok, but a good review from an awesome forum member is not ok and is cherry picking. Ok gotcha

Well, it’s your money spend it any way you want.

Ahh ok, so old reviews from unknown testers are ok, but a good review from an awesome forum member is not ok and is cherry picking. Ok gotcha

Well, it’s your money spend it any way you want.

Unless you can supply us with a review less than 3 years old using more modern hardware (which does matter), then I'm just going to say the cooler is at best a bit above average. I'm with the majority here: if it was the cooler you claim it to be, it'd be more widely used, talked about, reviewed, compared against, etc than it is. As it stands, I'd take a Noctua, BeQuiet!, solid AIO (Corsair, Fractal, Coolermaster, etc) over your legendary 360 watt TDP TS140P.

If you're just trying to stir the pot, then by all means; carry on.

A couple of reviews from actual review sites that have reviewed 20+ coolers to compare with, vs one guy I don't know, on a forum I don't use... Yeah, I'll give more weight to review sites.

Plus,you know, logic. The TS140p probably half the fin area of some of the competing coolers in discussion, so it makes sense that it gets left in the dust.

Even the old reviews I found where the images were gone only gave it something like 4/5 stars. If it was that good it would easily get 5/5.

Ok well I mentioned it because it was cheap. No one cares about cheap. Le Grand Macho RT has what it takes to take on the king and there are plenty of reviews lol. And, you still have access to your ram. And of course, add a TY-143 to further seal the deal.

Tbh i could care less if you all like or dislike the 140p but this need to somehow steer the masses away from and or demean a product that crushes the price to performance cooling sector without ever having touched one, seems inceredibly small minded.

As someone who has actually used a 140p and seen excellent temps from it on a 6850k @4.5 1.425v(4.7 1.4750v max stable for benching). Probably the hottest running/hardest to oc 6core intel has ever made. It still kept my load temps below 85c when benching, aida prime etc etc. It was thanks to the overclock.net thread that i decided to buy one along with the ty143 btw.

The only other current solution i have to compare it to is my custom wcing loop. Of course my loop cooled it better both at idle and load. Nevertheless the 140p was more than respectable and i will not hesitate to buy another $50 140p.
Dont knock it till ya try it is my advice to those considering a high end cooling solution.

Last edited:
Ok well I mentioned it because it was cheap. No one cares about cheap. Le Grand Macho RT has what it takes to take on the king and there are plenty of reviews lol. And, you still have access to your ram. And of course, add a TY-143 to further seal the deal.

So the Le Grand Macho RT has what it takes to be the king? Then ummm...why isn't it? Why do no modern review sites reference it, use it, test it, mention it, or, really, anything? I'm not saying it's a bad cooler but stop trying to make it out to be some undiscovered gem that deserves to be king.

As I said some posts back:

"The Grand Macho OTOH actually does hang in there is the reviews I read, which makes sense, since it's a more massive heatsink."

Unlike the TS140 Power, the Grand Macho actually has the thermal mass, and fin area you expect on top end air coolers. It has the reviews to back it up. All things the TS140 Power lacks (thermal mass, fin area, reviews).

Sorry, that was for jimmybob. TS140P has some good mass, it looks thin but is very tall. Also has something the others don’t.. 6x 8mm heatpipes, that’s nothing to disregard. Most other coolers have 6x 6mm pipes and a big fin stack, though LGMRT has 7x 6mm pipes. Those big pipes make a difference. I have both LGMRT and TS140P. They are both really good. I wouldn’t just come on here and start talking about coolers I don’t own or haven’t used. And I wouldn’t try to misinform anyone, at least not on purpose.

Sorry, that was for jimmybob. TS140P has some good mass, it looks thin but is very tall. Also has something the others don’t.. 6x 8mm heatpipes, that’s nothing to disregard. Most other coolers have 6x 6mm pipes and a big fin stack, though LGMRT has 7x 6mm pipes. Those big pipes make a difference. I have both LGMRT and TS140P. They are both really good. I wouldn’t just come on here and start talking about coolers I don’t own or haven’t used. And I wouldn’t try to misinform anyone, at least not on purpose.

You also don't want to get overly focused on heat pipe size/count. They might be theoretically able to carry more heat, assuming that they are actually effectively receiving heat from the socket (Over sized might mean not getting much heat to one or more pipes), and assuming the fin stack can actually disperse the heat fast enough. Those are a both questionable assumptions here.

From all the info I have seen, the Grand Macho has theoretically less heatpipe capacity, but appears to be the more effective heatsink of the two.

They are both decent heatsinks for the money in the USA, but in Canada even if I order them from the USA, they are comparable to the Noctua D15 lineup. No matter how, or where I order it the Grand Macho will cost me more than a Noctua D15 Dual Fan. The TS140P is within $5 of the D15S Single fan, which I doubt it beats given reviews. Just not worth it for me.

Indeed, its all good man. I could have bought Noctua, honestly I didn't do the math lol. Its ok to like a brand, A lot of people swear by Noctua, for good reason. They are pretty awesome, I would rather have a Noctua cooler than an AIO for sure lol. I had a bitch of a time trying to buy Thermalright stuff in Canada, way to expensive, I saw like $200 on amazon.ca.. forget that. I like Thermalright stuff and still have my xp90, and ultra120 extreme. I looked at reviews, and decided to get LGMRT because its big, did well in reviews, was quiet and I was coming from an AIO at the time. I was completely satisfied with my purchase, and thought it would be the last air cooler I would buy for years. But that dam TS140P always bugged me with its higher rating, and fatter pipes. Considering I was using a 212 Evo on my x5690, I figured I owed the cpu more than that lol. I think I paid 100 bucks for LGMRT, and probably the same for TS140P because I paid for 24 hour shipping, and got it in 22. I also bought when our dollar was strong, now that its gone to shit again..

Unless you can supply us with a review less than 3 years old using more modern hardware (which does matter), then I'm just going to say the cooler is at best a bit above average. I'm with the majority here: if it was the cooler you claim it to be, it'd be more widely used, talked about, reviewed, compared against, etc than it is. As it stands, I'd take a Noctua, BeQuiet!, solid AIO (Corsair, Fractal, Coolermaster, etc) over your legendary 360 watt TDP TS140P.

If you're just trying to stir the pot, then by all means; carry on.

Again, I asked for a review that is less than 3 years old...

You've got the same google I do right? Its not like its a new cooler..

Edit:

Why do you need a review newer than 3 years when your cpu is 6 years old?

Last edited:
You've got the same google I do right? Its not like its a new cooler..

Edit:

Why do you need a review newer than 3 years when your cpu is 6 years old?

omg...MY specific CPU is irrelevant. You are the one trying to promote this cooler but can't come up with anything but a few 3 year old reviews where it shows to be a bit above average at best in some tests. My, and I believe others, point is that this cooler may not do so well against modern CPU's. Throw that cooler on the massive CPU that is Threadripper and see how it does. But we can't because there's no data out there on it. I haven't looked but now that I think about it, is there even mounting hardware to mount it to that CPU? How about an Intel 10+ core OC'd CPU? Since it's rated for 360 watt TDP, why not throw it on some insane high core high power Xeon? If it does so well, why is it not more widely known, used, and compared against?

And yes I have the same google you do and apparently it's giving the same results to you that it is to me. If you wanted to shut everyone here up, you could post more modern, relevant benchmarks on the cooler (if you can find 'em).

Found a 2 year old review from Anandtech and this is the summary of the TS140P when compared against NH-U14S, PH-TC14S and the Be-Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim.

"Thermalright’s True Spirit 140 Direct was the surprise performance of this roundup review. Nothing foretold that the otherwise simple-looking cooler could give the competition such a push. The direct contact design of the True Spirit 140 Direct grants the cooler excellent energy absorption efficiency, giving the cooler a significant performance advantage that is especially apparent when the thermal load is low. This design makes the True Spirit 140 Direct particularly efficient when dealing with low thermal loads, i.e. modern efficient CPUs that will not be significantly overclocked. It is not as efficient when it has to deal with a very high thermal load, as it cannot dissipate the amassing thermal energy as quickly as Noctua’s behemoth can, but even then the performance figures remain very good. Its sound pressure levels are relatively low as well, making it a sensible choice for users who want a relatively simple, efficient, low noise product."

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11407/140-mm-slim-tower-cpu-cooler-roundup/9

So, from this review, it's a bit above average of CPU cooler (which is what I've said from the beginning). Which confirms what many have said: it's not bad, but it's not the best. Decent bang for the buck but there are always other options for a CPU cooler.

I don't get paid to promote anything, I had good results, so I share. Much like people who use other coolers with good results, they want to tell others. You don't think they would do well with modern processors? I think you are being a bit delusional there. Since other coolers are just as old, and working just fine. If its a hot running cpu, its gonna run hot, because that's how it was designed. You will have a problem using either LGMRT and TS140P on Threadripper, they wont fit, you have to use TR4 specific coolers. But of course, you knew that. And of course you knew the biggest Noctua cooler for TR4 was the U14S TR4, for now.

Edit:

That is the True Spirit 140 Direct, its not even remotely in the same league lol. 5x 6mm pipes, that were flattened. I wouldn't even buy that cooler.

Edit again:

Okay, so I just switched coolers.. Today ambients are a little warmer than yesterday, but I am seeing 3-4c difference already using Le Grand Macho RT and TY-143 vs my True Spirit 140 Power and TY-143. I haven't run this cooler on my main rig for at least a year.. and I have to say I am surprised, and impressed. I don't recall there being that kind of a gap. I can probably add 100mhz. Wow. Well, I still stand by what I said before, for the price you probably cant beat TS140P, but right now I prefer LGMRT, but it is $30 more, plus the cost of TY-143, so call It $50 more.

Last edited:
I don't get paid to promote anything, I had good results, so I share. Much like people who use other coolers with good results, they want to tell others. You don't think they would do well with modern processors? I think you are being a bit delusional there. Since other coolers are just as old, and working just fine. If its a hot running cpu, its gonna run hot, because that's how it was designed. You will have a problem using either LGMRT and TS140P on Threadripper, they wont fit, you have to use TR4 specific coolers. But of course, you knew that. And of course you knew the biggest Noctua cooler for TR4 was the U14S TR4, for now.

Edit:

That is the True Spirit 140 Direct, its not even remotely in the same league lol. 5x 6mm pipes, that were flattened. I wouldn't even buy that cooler.

I'll eat crow on that one, I didn't notice that it was the direct and not the one in discussion here. My bad.

And I didn't say that it wouldn't work with modern processors, what I was trying to say is use it on a higher core count CPU like Threadripper (which come to find out it won't work with) or similar that really pumps out the heat and has a larger die/heatspreader size. The point of that is idk what the base-plate size/contact area of that cooler is (if it would effectively cover all the area that needs cooling). And the point of that is show that there's not a ton of newer data out there about it (people not using it/not very popular?). I did some forum reading and plan to do more when time allows and found that yeah, there are some people that love it and swear by it but I also came across some people that didn't get the performance they expected out of it.

And no, I didn't know that Noctua had the largest TR4 cooler and even if I had, I wouldn't have mentioned it because I would have seemed like a Noctua Fanboy. I'm not trying to say Noctua is king, I like their case fans (I have three in my main PC and one in my server but I also have 2 Corsair fans in my main rig and 2 Thermaltake fans in my server) but I don't have any of their coolers. I have considered it but I didn't want to spend $70-80+ on a HSF and I wouldn't have considered the Thermalright cooler (or similar) because it's a plain looking HSF and doesn't fit the aesthetic of any of my builds (both color/looks wise and I prefer not to have a big HSF cover half my motherboard and case window). But now we're getting into personal preferences so I'll digress...

Its all good man. This is the internet, where things can be takin the wrong way at any time. I am glad we all had this chat, or else I would have just kept using my other cooler thinking it was better. I really didn't come here to fight with anyone, and it wasn't my intention at all to come off as a total dick, I'm really not that guy.. well sometimes maybe. I like Noctua products too, and was probably a bit of a fan boy about it at the time. Like I was when I had my H100 with beast fans, and I know I sounded like one trying to defend Thermalright lol. In the end, as long as what you are using does its job that you need it to, who really cares? I just happens that I have been using Thermalright stuff on and off since 2004. There was a time when I thought Thermaltake was good too lol.. thinking of the Big Typhoon there..

Anyways, sorry everyone.

Its all good man. This is the internet, where things can be takin the wrong way at any time. I am glad we all had this chat, or else I would have just kept using my other cooler thinking it was better. I really didn't come here to fight with anyone, and it wasn't my intention at all to come off as a total dick, I'm really not that guy.. well sometimes maybe. I like Noctua products too, and was probably a bit of a fan boy about it at the time. Like I was when I had my H100 with beast fans, and I know I sounded like one trying to defend Thermalright lol. In the end, as long as what you are using does its job that you need it to, who really cares? I just happens that I have been using Thermalright stuff on and off since 2004. There was a time when I thought Thermaltake was good too lol.. thinking of the Big Typhoon there..

Anyways, sorry everyone.

I tend to stay away from the vast majority of Thermaltake stuff...although my server is in a 2nd hand full tower Thermaltake case with 2x240mm (maybe 220mm) fans at the front simply because it's quiet and can visually pleasingly house all the HD's I have in my server while remaining quiet since it's in a room I frequently reside. That's just a personal preference as there isn't anything wrong with their products. Anywho, cheers and no need to apologize here. Sometimes I just enjoy a good banter.

I had a TrueSpirit 140 Power on my 8700k for a month or so. 8700k at 4.8 no AVX offset 1.35v and it didn’t let prime take it over 87C. I purchased a D15 and saw an improvement of 6-7C during the same testing. Of course neither cooler allowed it to hit those temps during gaming or regular use.

I’ve got the TS140P on top of a 7700k in my wife’s PC and it performs fantastic. For the money I’d gladly grab another TS140P for the $50 I paid for it.

I’m not trying to stir the pot, but I definitely recommend the TS140P to those looking not to spend around $100. Performance is close enough for most people. Anyone who asks me if they should get a hyper 212 model I immediately redirect them to the TrueSpirit if their case will allow it. I definitely appreciate the extra room it doesn’t take up compared to the Noctua.

I had a TrueSpirit 140 Power on my 8700k for a month or so. 8700k at 4.8 no AVX offset 1.35v and it didn’t let prime take it over 87C. I purchased a D15 and saw an improvement of 6-7C during the same testing. Of course neither cooler allowed it to hit those temps during gaming or regular use.

I’ve got the TS140P on top of a 7700k in my wife’s PC and it performs fantastic. For the money I’d gladly grab another TS140P for the $50 I paid for it.

I’m not trying to stir the pot, but I definitely recommend the TS140P to those looking not to spend around $100. Performance is close enough for most people. Anyone who asks me if they should get a hyper 212 model I immediately redirect them to the TrueSpirit if their case will allow it. I definitely appreciate the extra room it doesn’t take up compared to the Noctua.

It does look like a good $50 cooler if you can get from that. I think the argument all stems from claims it would keep up with 140mm Noctuas.

It's too bad someone didn't do a comprehensive cooler test of some of these older and less expensive coolers. I notice if I look on Amazon there are lot of interesting looking ~$50 coolers:

Scythe Mugen 5 ($49) .Scythe Ninja 5 ($59), Macho Rev B ($50), Cryorig H5 ultimate ($53)

Macho Rev B, in particular looks really good here for a $50 cooler, hanging very close the Noctua D15, possibly better than TS140P:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermalright-macho-revb/6.html

I think TS140P is good for “big” CPU’s.. I went back to my LGMRT to try it out, and am getting better results with it on my quad. Like 5-7c so far. I have yet to put my hex through the paces with it on. Probably tonight if I have some time. Though it was good on my 3770K only the center four pipes were making contact according to the print.

New Video review of budget coolers including the TS140P. some unexpected results:

It does look like a good $50 cooler if you can get from that. I think the argument all stems from claims it would keep up with 140mm Noctuas.

It's too bad someone didn't do a comprehensive cooler test of some of these older and less expensive coolers. I notice if I look on Amazon there are lot of interesting looking ~$50 coolers:

Scythe Mugen 5 ($49) .Scythe Ninja 5 ($59), Macho Rev B ($50), Cryorig H5 ultimate ($53)

Macho Rev B, in particular looks really good here for a $50 cooler, hanging very close the Noctua D15, possibly better than TS140P:
https://www.techpowerup.com/review/thermalright-macho-revb/6.html
In my most recent heatsink saga I'd originally gotten the Phanteks 14PE since it had great reviews but it was a bit underwhelming for my chip compared to review tests. I looked around for a cooler for my 7740X and due to good experience with noctua I got the U14 as it was pretty cheap and it works fine but is not as good as the 14PE. After this I still wanted a nicer cooler for the 9900X but I didn't want to spend a lot more and saw some great reviews over at overclock and gave the 140 power a try and it performed better for my 9900X than the other two did.

Currently have U14 on 6950X, 14PE on 9700K and 140 Power on 9900X though I am currently building water setups for the 9900X and 9700K.

Issue I have with all of these is they all come with very low RPM fans so they get overloaded very fast with the stock ones. 140 Power is also very tall and these all give you 0 space for pcie slots lol. I have the original macho hr-02 which I've not really bothered using much with my new systems, it works okay on 1366 though.

Bottom line is, if it fits in your case the 140 power is a great cooler for the price. There are probably newer better coolers but then it comes to whether you want to spend more money or not. Unfortunately I wasted money buying the 14PE but hopefully you guys do not have to. Mine also came with stripped threading on the mounting plates but I imagine that is not common and Phanteks replaced it for free.

I do want to try one of those Scythe coolers though because they seem neat and I've got a huge excess of stuff I can stick them on lol. I recently got some Zalman 9900max coolers for some 1366 boards and they have the worst mounting hardware I've ever used in my life, I would advise against them simply from that. From installing one with the included wrench it kept getting looser and looser as I turned the screws. I tried another wrench and it is the screws that have had the head stripped. Do not buy even if they are 20 dollars which is what I paid for mine lol.

"Thermalright’s True Spirit 140 Direct

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11407/140-mm-slim-tower-cpu-cooler-roundup/9

So, from this review, it's a bit above average of CPU cooler (which is what I've said from the beginning). Which confirms what many have said: it's not bad, but it's not the best. Decent bang for the buck but there are always other options for a CPU cooler.
This is a different cooler fyi. Thermalright shouldn't make 5 variants of the "same" cooler with a similar name. That and their garbage distribution are probably 2 of their biggest problems.

Again, I asked for a review that is less than 3 years old...
This really has nothing to do with the thread but no review site is going to go out of their way to review an old part, it doesn't make sense from a business perspective. There is not going to be any hype around the product so no one is going to be interested in it. As much as sites try to appear as being in it just for doing reviews they are a business first. Nobody is going to go review a 7700k even though intel still makes and sells them.

Last edited:
Back