Intel Heatsink mod

thefordmccord

[H]ard|Gawd
I didn't know if I should put this in cooling, or case mods, but here it goes...

I decided that the Intel heat sink was ugly, but it works pretty well, so I decided to mod it so that any 80mm fan could fit on it. My temps seem to be 2-3 degrees cooler. So, now it is cool in both uses of the word.

Here are the pics...

P5130001.JPG

P5130002.JPG

P5130003.JPG

P5130004.JPG

P5130005.JPG

P5130006.JPG

P5130007.JPG

P5130008.JPG

P5130009.JPG

P5130010.JPG

P5130011.JPG

P5130012.JPG

P5130013.JPG

P5130014.JPG

P5130015.JPG

P5130016.JPG

P5130017.JPG

P5130018.JPG

P5130019.JPG

P5130020.JPG

P5130021.JPG

P5130022.JPG

P5130023.JPG

Now that's a cool mod. It's usefull and it looks good

I like how you added a little height to eliminate the deadspot, it'll probably help with that copper slug right in the middle, too.

Nice, i wonder if you could do this with a socket 478 intel heatsink.

Looks great. I love quick, very functional mods. I think that I am going to copy you shortly, but I'll leave mine black.

diredesire said:
I like how you added a little height to eliminate the deadspot, it'll probably help with that copper slug right in the middle, too.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I thought about putting a tornado on it just to see what it would do!!

Nice mod. It really makes that intel hsf look hot. I considered getting a socket T intel for a few seconds :p.

I also just LOVE your case, and window. What paint is that?

Keep up the cool mods!

thats pretty cool, but i think i read that intel heatsinks arent that great in terms if thermal conductivity, or whatever its called

i may be wrong tho

Nice job there, the extra spacing acts as a pretty nice shroud. I also may have to steal that idea, except also make an adapter to use an 80mm on my stock A64 hs :)

Doesn't work for Socket 478, I know this cause I just tried to do it for the last 30 minutes or so. The heatsink for the Prescotts are circular and round, not only that, but they connect to the mobo differently. The fan is held on on the heatsink, not through some gay ass clips like on the 478's, lol.

Holy smokes those fat 80mm and 120mm fans at the front and back of your case must push lotsa air...
What 80mms are those? or are you just using 'em as a fan shroud?

jtobrien said:
thats pretty cool, but i think i read that intel heatsinks arent that great in terms if thermal conductivity, or whatever its called

i may be wrong tho

You are wrong, the current stock Intel heatsinks are better than most of the Socket T clones out there, at least for now.

damn thats a "stock" Intel cooler?

Thats a NICE cooler. (with out the mod)

I thought they only used the copper core ones like that on the higher end P4's. (didn't think it would come with a 520, or anything under 3.4Ghz)

It looks (and probably performs) about equivalent to my Aerocool HSF.

Moses said:
Holy smokes those fat 80mm and 120mm fans at the front and back of your case must push lotsa air...
What 80mms are those? or are you just using 'em as a fan shroud?

The intake fans are 80mm tornadoes. I have two old 80mm fans that I gutted to make a spacer between the fan and the filters. The rear fan is just a 120x38mm 160cfm delta fan.

I like it.
Sometimes... stock heatsinks just seem nicer on a motherboard. Like when I got a stock heatsink for my Intel it was just really nice how it just looked like it belongs there.
On the other hand my coolermaster on this mobo has a blower on it and well >_< thats just ugly.

So the 80mm fan that was chopped apart to produce a shroud was just glued to the heatsink?

incomudro said:
Nice job but still Intel heatsinks are elsuckador

Have you even looked at the new heat sinks? They are nice, and there is not to much out there that will cool better other than water and phase change...

awdark said:
So the 80mm fan that was chopped apart to produce a shroud was just glued to the heatsink?

The stock fan clips to the heat sink. That clip was cut off of the stock fan and was J.B. welded to the "shroud" that I made out of an old 80mm fan. It still clips on just like the stock fan did.

Back