Intel HD driver BSOD

HammerSandwich

[H]ard|Gawd
I've seen this on 2 PCs lately, both Acer Veriton X480G, running Win7 Pro x64.

The PCs boot normally & run for a few minutes before BSODing in the Intel storage driver. Both PCs run fine in safe mode. Also, both PCs worked for at least a few weeks before the problems started.

First PC's BIOS was set to RAID, even though it has a single HD. I switched to the default Win7 driver & had the exact same behavior. I tried the latest Intel driver & had the exact same behavior. Next, I used devmgmt to uninstall the HD & controller in safe mode, switched to AHCI in the BIOS, booted & installed with the MS driver. This caused the PC to fail while booting Windows. A full Windows reinstall worked perfectly, running the default driver.

Second PC's BIOS showed AHCI. Crap! I didn't even try further debugging, just reinstalled Windows.

Questions:
  1. Has a recent update caused HD-driver problems?
  2. How do I switch a Win7 boot drive's storage mode without reinstalling?
  3. Something funny about these Acers?
  4. What am I missing here?

Many thanks.

boot the machine to safe mode and then delete the intell storage driver and then reboot machine. you can also delete the hw local machine key as a last restor and that will force windows to redetect all hardaware.

I've tried the 1st but not the 2nd. Need a 3rd PC to act up now, so I can test that angle.

Thanks.

Back