Intel Handily Beats Analyst Expectations as Chips Continue to Shine

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by DooKey, Oct 27, 2017.

1. DooKey

DooKey [H]ard DCOTM x4

The juggernaut named Intel continues to reap the benefits of a diverse product portfolio and beat analyst expectations for the third quarter. Intel reported net income of $4.52B and that's up 34 percent from last year. It just goes to show that Intel dances to the beat of their own drum and competition isn't harming their business at all. You can check out the earnings release here.

"We executed well in the third quarter with strong results across the business, and we’re on track to a record year," said Brian Krzanich, Intel chief executive, in a statement. "I’m excited about our progress and our future. Intel’s product line-up is the strongest it has ever been with more innovation on the way for artificial intelligence, autonomous driving and more."

2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

Well, it helps that Intel took the shotgun approach to it's product stack this year.

3. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

You mean like AMD gets in the driver's seat and Intel yells X299 'shotgun!' ??

defaultluser likes this.
  4. rflcptr

rflcptr [H]ardness Supreme

INTC doing well.

5. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I'm talking about the fact that Intel decided to just throw a fuck ton of products out early and see what sticks in the market. There is a ton of margin on some of these products, so Intel could afford to throw things out and not have all of them succeed. We had Z270, X299, Z370, Skylake-X, Kaby Lake-X, Coffee Lake, and a slew of processor SKU's. That's not counting chipset variants, mobile parts or anything in the server market.

Intel had a knee jerk reaction to Ryzen 7 and Threadripper. Kaby Lake-X is a useless CPU, but they threw it out there to see if anyone wanted a quad core that could overclock into the stratosphere. If Intel were doing things as they have for the last 6 years or so, we'd be months or more away from a Kaby Lake-E release. Instead, Intel adapted it's latest architecture simply by changing the package instead of reworking it into a real, viable HEDT product. We got Coffee Lake 6 cores for the mainstream now. Intel had allot of these products in the pipeline, but threw many of them out ahead of schedule because of Ryzen 7 and Threadripper's release.

grtitan and vegeta535 like this.
  6. serpretetsky

serpretetsky [H]ard|Gawd

yup, AMD, despite good quarterly report, not so much.

7. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

Sorry, Dan. I thought you'd get a chuckle out of that one.

That's the annoying thing - AMD has biggest technical success in a decade, reports decent earnings, yet the stock tanks. INTC up 10% yesterday after serving up more flavors of the same shit in a reflexive, back-pedalling, o-shit-I-guess-we-should-get-off-our-laurels fashion.

Fuck. I think I just convinced myself to get some skin in this game.

8. Emission

Emission [H]ardness Supreme

Better than sleeping, I guess.

9. DPI

DPI Nitpick Police

Yep. Thank you AMD. We don't even have to buy Ryzen to benefit from it.

10. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ard as it Gets

I did. :)

Exactly.

I get it. I've thought about buying Threadripper just to flip Intel the bird for being so damn lazy the last few years. I don't know that I will, but I've thought about it.

11. MV75

MV75 [H]ard|Gawd

What? If anything it's amd being lazy for the last 11 years with a little hurrah 7 years ago. So in the end, what competition?

12. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

I'm thinking of Ryzen also, but in this case I'm also thinking if buying AMD at under $12.

13. Hakaba

Hakaba Gawd

It closed under 12 today, buy now it will go to the moon!!!!!! /s

14. Tyns

Tyns Limp Gawd

Intel needs more knee jerk reactions!

AMD earnings were not good and they did not forecast EPS (warning signal imo). Annualizing last earnings of $0.1 to $0.4 and using a PE multiple of 20 puts the target share price at $8 (but revenue are expected to be down almost 20% this quarter, so that annualized EPS may be generous). Business is about more than having a good or even superior product.

15. -Strelok-

-Strelok- [H]ardForum Junkie

AMD also said their margins are going to be flat/worse next quarter, that's why everyone sold.

16. Kdawg

Kdawg Gawd

4.5 billion vs 100 million

AMD is so miniscule.

17. grtitan

grtitan Telemetry is Spying on ME!

Im not sure who to blame, but using myself as an example, im still using my I5-3570k, because i cant find a good matx amd mobo.

Thats the thing with intel, you can buy whatever chipsets in whatever size for their cpus.

18. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

And today, AMD is $17.26.

Fuck me for never taking the plunge. Maybe it's not too late?

19. doublejack

doublejack Limp Gawd

Nvidia market cap - $151 billion
    Intel market cap - $243 billion
    AMD market cap - $15.7 billion

AMD could, very easily from a mathematical standpoint, pull off a 10x stock value increase. The catch is, how much market share they will capture? The more they gain, the higher the stock price is sure to go.