Intel extreme setting sometimes drops to default?

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
the adventures of my 10210u I5 continue. I get 50 fps using Intel XTU. core offset at -.085,Graphics at .050, Turbo Boost short power max at 30 W, Turbo Boost power max factory is 15 have it set at 30, Using Afterburner with Valley I see max temp of 72. using ADIA 64 no throttling.. power draw of as much as 26W. For no reason it sometimes just drops to the OEM setting of 15 TDP.. PSU is a 90 w universal PSU. However the settings do not change back to defaults in XTU, This is an intermittent issue... I don't know when it will happen. driving me slowly insane.... Machine has massive cooling, heat sinks added to the cpu and heat pipe O polar heat vacuum, Notebook fan control at 100 percent and a cooling pad which has 2 12 Volt fans at full rpm powered by external 12 v power, machine at idles at 29C maxes at 72 .... no computer power is used to run external cooling... I tried to use Throttlestop but it will NOT keep or save settings. I don't know why tried everything....have a registry hack that gives me several power boost options in processor boost settings nothing changes in the problem.... Opinions?

XTU always has issues with restoring settings, especially after resuming from sleep or hibernate mode.

Try using ThrottleStop again. Did you unzip ThrottleStop into its own folder? It cannot create a configuration file if you run the program from a zipped folder.

Did you move the ThrottleStop folder after you first started using the program? Windows has been known to change file permissions when you do this. Create a folder in C:\Program Files (x86)\ThrottleStop and put ThrottleStop.exe in that folder.

If ThrottleStop is running, exit the program and delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file from your ThrottleStop folder. Restart ThrottleStop so it can create a new one.

At the lower right corner of the FIVR window there is a safety feature. How do you have this setup?

1602135866716.png

Post some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup. The main window, the TPL window and the FIVR window. The other million people that have downloaded ThrottleStop this year are not having this problem so try to think of something that you might be doing different compared to everyone else.

Hope you get ThrottleStop figured out. The similar 10510U is a beast when the power limits are left unlocked.

10510U.png

I have tried everything even set file properties for everyone to full control. Ran as administrator even though I have admin privileges. Deleted the ini file. save immediately does not work, save when close does not work.... Have restored all settings to stock and totally uninstalled XTU. Only have Throttle stop 9.2 tried beta 9.22 same thing. Ran malware bytes, and full Defender scan nada zip no virus no malware.. Have the latest BIOs , Now saying all That this Cpu does have the Intel adaptix dynamic tuning technology software installed. However I even disabled that in services. Also ran sfc/ scannow no integrity errors.... Tried Quickcpu to no avail....the only thig that works at all is XTU and that's even flaky....tried all power setting and all boost modes. not enabled, enabled, efficient enabled, aggressive, aggressive enabled, efficient enabled, aggressive at guaranteed, efficient aggressive at guaranteed.... no difference.... Full specs are I5 10210u, UHD 620, 32gb (2 16gb)dual channel, WD black NV me 500gb, 4TB Sandisk sata, with 90 watt power brick..... I have used throttle stop in the past but it was an older version maybe 860 can't remember exactly... Looks like I might be stuck at 15 w TDP and that sucks I was getting 25 percent better performance at 25 TDP Intel peak power for this cpu. This has been an experiment in frustration just don't know why throttlestop won't save......

Post some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup. Have you checked the FIVR - Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits box? Upload the ThrottleStop.INI config file so I can have a look. Just because your CPU is not running the way you want it to run does not mean that ThrottleStop is not saving its settings.

Looks like I might be stuck at 15 w TDP
The 10210U has a 15W TDP rating. Many laptops use the EC to enforce the 15W limit so long term, they will power limit throttle right at 15W. If this is the problem, Intel XTU, ThrottleStop or QuickCPU is not going to allow you to go beyond 15W indefinitely. None of them have access to the EC.

The screenshot I posted shows that ThrottleStop works fine on the 10510U. That laptop does not have the EC enforcing the power limit so it is running at 53W instead of 15W.

Here is ini file

[ThrottleStop]
StartFailed=0
FileName=C:\ThrottleStop_9.2\ThrottleStop.ini
GUID0={0CDEBB13-FF60-4A6F-8EC2-F4BDA1D670A4}
GUID1={85C4C0A3-1200-42AB-B24E-6590BA0ED0AE}
GUID2={50F4E652-4D4A-4D36-A10D-E1E0F6005A8D}
GUID3={7D7FBA69-E6FD-4135-8C92-2BFEB6A221E6}
GUID4={15AE5D23-FFF9-452A-B68B-B87989B3FD7B}
DTSAlarm=1
GPUAlarm=105
LowBattPercent=0
Profile=0
ProfileName1=Performance
ProfileName2=Game
ProfileName3=Internet
ProfileName4=Battery
ResumeProgram1=
ResumeProgram2=
ResumeProgram3=
ResumeProgram4=
LogFileDirectory=C:\ThrottleStop_9.2\Logs
Options1=0x00302000
Options2=0x00302120
Options3=0x00302120
Options4=0x00302120
DutyCycle1=16
DutyCycle2=16
DutyCycle3=16
DutyCycle4=16
EIST=14
DTSButton=0
ColorIndex=0
CPUColor=0xFFFFFF
GPUColor=0xFFFFFF
CPUMHzColor=0xFFFFFF
PowerColor=0xFFFFFF
MainIcon=1
CPUIcon=0
GPUIcon=0
CPUMHzIcon=0
PowerIcon=0
GridLines=1
BlackIcon=0
LogoMin=1
TaskBar=0
NoTitleBar=0
ZeroChipset=0
TimePeriodAC=16
WinProfile=0x0008
PROCHOT_Offset=0x5
NewCStateLimit=0x8888
HaswellOverclock=0
PROCHOT_Lock=0
BatteryMonitoring=0
DCExitTime=0
BeforeRunProgram=15
BatteryButton=0
PSMinimum=35
Payload1=0x1000
Payload2=0x1000
Payload3=0x1000
Payload4=0x1000
EnPerfPref0=128
EnPerfPref1=128
EnPerfPref2=128
EnPerfPref3=128
SSTEPP=1
Color00=0x202020
Color01=0xFFFFFF
Color02=0x293DA3
Color03=0x1F199F
Color04=0x0000E8
Color05=0x303030
Color06=0xFFFFFF
Color07=0x293DA3
Color08=0x202020
Color09=0xFFFFFF
Color10=0x202020
Color11=0xFFFFFF
Color12=0xDD5496
Color13=0xDD3E8B
Color14=0xE85CA2
Color15=0x404040
Color16=0xFFFFFF
Color17=0xDD3E8B
Color18=0x202020
Color19=0xFFFFFF
Color20=0xF0F0F0
Color21=0x000000
Color22=0xDCDCDC
Color23=0xDCDCDC
Color24=0x000000
Color25=0xE1E1E1
Color26=0x000000
Color27=0xD77800
Color28=0xFFFFFF
Color29=0x000000
Color30=0x202020
Color31=0xFFFFFF
Color32=0x293DA3
Color33=0x1F199F
Color34=0x0000E8
Color35=0x303030
Color36=0xFFFFFF
Color37=0x293DA3
Color38=0x202020
Color39=0xFFFFFF
HotKey0=0x0
HotKey1=0x0
HotKey2=0x0
HotKey3=0x0
HotKey4=0x0
FIVRRowHeight=24
MiniMode=0
SuperMiniMode=0
StopMonitoring=0
RowHeight=20

throttle 02 show an attempt at under volt had save immediately selected and the next pic shows where it did not save the setting could not see going past since it isn't saving the settings

Attachments

• throttle01.PNG
    throttle01.PNG
    34.9 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle02.PNG
    throttle02.PNG
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle01.PNG
    throttle01.PNG
  • throttle02.PNG
    throttle02.PNG
    39.2 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle02 would not save setting.PNG
    throttle02 would not save setting.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle01.PNG
    throttle01.PNG
  • throttle02 would not save setting.PNG
    throttle02 would not save setting.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle02.PNG
    throttle02.PNG
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
sorry for the pic screw up stupid snipping tool the only one is the menu the attempt to undervolt with save immediately set and the one that shows it did not take

When you exit the FIVR window are you pressing the OK button or are you clicking on the X close gadget in the top right corner? The close gadget in Windows means do not save any changes.

1602183932056.png

The INI file should show entries like this.

Code:
FIVRVoltage00=0xFAE00024
UnlockVoltage00=1

When you are in the FIVR window, change the offset voltage and press the Apply button. The voltage change should show immediately in the FIVR monitoring table if the voltage is being applied.

Last edited:
my bad the screen res was at 1280 by 720 and the bottom row of the screen wasn't showing now fixed

I may have solved the problem but not with throttlestop. I reinstalled XTU and just did one thing put the TDP at 25. with NO undervolting or anything else. I hope I don't jinx myself but not dropping back in watts anymore, bench peaking at 25 watts but not dropping to 15 watts any more. I think that the undervolt was confusing the system..or the VRM or something. I can't think of any other factor...at least I hope so.. By the way thanks for your help....have a good night......

Nope but it was an hour or so before the problem reappeared then it went away after I let the laptop sit for a little while I'm beginning to think the VRMs are cutting current when they get warm. I'm not sure what VRMs look like but I still have a few thermal mini heat sinks left Here are a few pics of what I think might be VRMs I got no results googling any part numbers on them kind of blocky square things you can see the cpu cooler at top of the pics with its own fins.. I think these might be the VRMs I just don't know how to tell....

Attachments

• 20201009_002618.jpg
    20201009_002618.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201009_002622.jpg
    20201009_002622.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 0
I put heat sinks on temp did drop still testing though..

Attachments

• 20201009_154432.jpg
    20201009_154432.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201009_154453.jpg
    20201009_154453.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 0
F**k I don't know what is going on here... Last night it worked beautiful. I ran benchmarks and prime 95 today for two hours.. I then turned it on a few minute ago and the problem returned again after I ran it for a awhile I rebooted and now perfomance is back.... WTF I'm running out of ideas....

Some laptops lock the turbo power limits. They might lock them before you first boot up. After you do a sleep resume cycle, then they become unlocked. The opposite can also happen where the turbo power limits are initially left unlocked but doing a sleep resume cycle locks them.

Intel XTU also has a problem where it does not apply the power limits consistently. This usually happens after you resume from sleep. You cannot look at XTU and know for sure if the power limits are set correctly or not within the CPU.

Do some cold boot and sleep resume cycles to try to figure out when your power limits are being correctly set.

Finally figured out how to keep my 10210u I5 10th gen at full tdp.. Could not get XTU to stay at full tdp factory was 15, I set it at 25 but it would sooner or later drop back to 15.. THrottlestop so far has worked by disabling and locking power limits, A big but though is I cannot undervolt at all, any attempt will cause tdp to drop back to 15.. And the power plan automatically switches to high performance, any changes will cause tdp to again to drop back to 15. I am able to set performance boost mode to efficient aggressive okay...... games temps run in the mid 60's, machine idles at 29-33, most games run 35-40 fps at 1280 by 720... Hey it's only a UHD 620....This machine has the Intel adaptix dynamic tuning technology, could that be interfering with XTU and Throttlestop? By the way thanks for all your help.....

I give the F**K up last night I played Bioshock 2 remastered for a couple of hours ran tons of heaven and Valley benchmarks...worked flawlessly. Tonight it went flaky again TDP dropped back again to 15 and I did not change a thing.. WTF is going on here.....there has to be a reason....something must overriding the settings somewhere.... I had made a back up folder of throttle stop and even the backup did the same thing. i don't get any crashs laggs or BSods just power level drop to 15 or less. its not over heating either....Its just really frustrating... I don't have a clue.. could afterburner cause it? or give false readings? I have disabled malware bytes even nothing works......
Maybe tomorrow it will work WTF knows....

Have you uninstalled Intel XTU yet? Have you done any testing to see if there is a difference between first booting up compared to after a sleep - resume cycle? How are you concluding that your CPU is in 15W mode or 25W mode? Did you press the OK button in the ThrottleStop TPL window? The INI file you posted shows that you did not save the power limits yet.

Uninstall XTU and post some new screenshots of exactly how you have ThrottleStop setup. Include the main window, the FIVR window and the TPL window. When your CPU is being limited to 15W, post a screenshot of ThrottleStop with the Limit Reasons window open. Does it show one of the power limits, PL1 or PL2, lighting up in red?

What laptop model do you have? Some laptops from the big name manufacturers like HP will enforce a 15W power limit and there is nothing you can do about it.

The undervolt and TDP settings have nothing to do with each other. Changing your voltage settings should not change the power limits. Do you have any additional software running on your computer that is controlling the Windows power plans? How are you determining that the power plan has switched? If you open a Command Prompt window and enter

powercfg -L

That will show you what Windows power plan is active.

I had all ready reset all xtu settings back to power defaults and uninstalled it before this, as I figured the two programs might interfere with each other... I have hibernate disabled and I don't allow the machine to ever sleep as I have heard sleep mode does not always work right... I have disabled Malware Bytes premium, I reapplied the under volt doesn't seem to be the cause.... I monitor power using MSI afterburner.... power plan always auto switches to high when I use Throttle stop even from ultimate or power save...I do have the power boost management set to efficient aggressive. Now I just played a half hour of BioShock 2 remastered ran both a couple of runs of Valley and Heaven benchmarks TDP stayed at high levels...no issues.. Now today I did notice earlier during Bioshock game that levels dropped back to 15 but a few seconds later levels jumped back up and stayed there even after I left the game... Tonight its working beautiful again... machine is an HP 14M-dh1003DX laptop.. I do not auto start Throttle Stop as I just use a desktop shortcut... You mention that manufacturers can lock the power. that does not explain why it would be intermittent. work great one day and not the next. No a company would just totally disable all access to power controls. I am beginning to think some windows task starts to run somewhere, but all back ground tasks are disabled, all unnecessary startup tasks are disabled... all drive optimizations are turned off, all drivers are current Cortina is not even on or used....

Attachments

• throttle01.JPG
    throttle01.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle02.JPG
    throttle02.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle04.JPG
    throttle04.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle05.JPG
    throttle05.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 0
ThrottleStop 9.2.4
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dlgtZVZ6d09N8TAvy9gsBMDCy2wXClJ4/view?usp=sharing

This version allows you to access the default Windows High Performance, Balanced or Power Saver profiles as well as any other profiles it finds on your computer. Just press the new + button.

xgcdXgE.png

ZxHVEuo.png

When undervolting, it is the Intel GPU and iGPU Unslice that should be set equally. The Intel GPU undervolt will probably not work if you do not adjust both of these voltages. Most people leave the System Agent at +0.0000.

It is a myth that the core and cache offset voltages have to be set equal to each other. Use Cinebench R20 when testing. It is usually the cache that is the limiting factor so leave the cache at -80 mV or -85 mV and see if you can increase only the core to a bigger number. Your CPU might still be stable with the core at -150 mV, -175 mV or more. If you go too far, your computer will crash or the CPU will ignore any excess amount.

The PP0 Current Limit is set too low. That is usually what causes EDP OTHER throttling across all 3 domains simultaneously like your screenshot shows. Instead of 48, set this to 100 and then you can forget about it being a limiting factor. You should also increase the IccMax current limit to 100.

I would set the long and short turbo power limits to 40. As long as your cooling is OK and the power limits are not locked, you can safely run these CPUs at well beyond 15W. Your screenshot shows that your power limits are locked at 30. If you want to set them higher, exit ThrottleStop, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and shut down your computer. When you boot back up and start ThrottleStop, it will create a new INI config file without the lock bit being set. Only lock this setting if you need to. If you think HP is changing this power limit on the fly, then I can understand why you would want to lock this. There are actually 3 sets of unique turbo power limits. It is usually a separate power limit set internally that some manufacturers use to enforce the 15W TDP limit.

The best way to keep track of what your CPU is doing is to turn on the ThrottleStop Log File option. If you ever have a situation where you think your CPU is being power limit throttled, now you will have a record of what happened. Exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize the log file and then have a look in there to see if it reports any power limit throttling. The log will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder with today's date on it. Attach it to your next post if you want me to have a look at it.

No a company would just totally disable all access to power controls.
Not all employees are perfect. Some make mistakes, either accidentally or on purpose. Some leave back doors open so enthusiasts can find a way to get beyond limits that some manager wants to impose. Look at Dell. CPU voltage control was supposed to be locked down starting last December. On many Dell laptops, you can go into the BIOS and use the Reset to Factory option. This trick unlocks voltage control but keep it quiet, it might be a secret. Many MSI laptops also have a hidden BIOS option to unlock CPU voltage control.

On some laptops, the BIOS will lock the turbo power limits but a simple sleep resume cycle will unlock the power limit register. Is this an oops, we made a mistake or is this done deliberately by engineers that hate all this throttling nonsense that is going on? Who really knows.

during Bioshock game that levels dropped back to 15 but a few seconds later levels jumped back up
When the power limit register is locked, it is impossible to unlock it until the next reboot. It is normal for CPU power consumption to vary. That is why having the log file on is best. It is much easier to review the power limits after you are finished gaming. The log file will show PL1 or PL2 in the far right column if there was any power limit throttling going on. If you see this, you can look to see what power consumption was during this throttling episode.

Wow I really thank you for the info I was having a hard time finding good info about the tpl settings. So what I will do is follow your settings. I had read that the agent and graphics had to be the same.... I don't know why but this little laptop has sort of become an obsession squeezing every wee bit I can out of it.. and you have really helped me..... you have a good night and I will let you know how it goes.....

I've had these issues myself. This is why I don't run XTU on the test bench when doing reviews. It's just easier to go into the UEFI rather than deal with this stuff.

there are no uefi settings in this machine worth a crap its a low end laptop

I don't run XTU on the test bench
Good idea. XTU is very inconsistent. When you compare what XTU shows you to what the CPU power registers are actually set to, there are times when the two are not the same at all. The BIOS in my laptop locks the power limit register but you would never know this. XTU shows changes being applied that cannot possibly be applied. After booting up into Windows, there is no way to unlock and change the power limit register if it has been locked by the BIOS. XTU not applying its settings consistently after resuming from sleep is another issue.

Most laptops have a very limited number of options in the BIOS. You might find a modified BIOS but some manufacturers have cracked down on this. If you try to flash an unsigned BIOS to a laptop, you might end up with an expensive brick. Using software to make adjustments is much safer. If anything goes wrong when using ThrottleStop, reboot, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file and start again.

here we go again I am sending logs I ran into power drop again with a custom plan so I tried ultimate performance... maybe having the custom plan minimum CPU at 5 percent made it throttle but if it did it was intermittent. also turned off Notebook fan control...
It did not drop power on ultimate power plan, but it has in the past . For some reason I get better benchmarks if minimum CPU performance is set at 5 percent however this time minimum and max both are at a 100 percent on ultimate mode and performance was set at efficient aggressive...

Attachments

• throttle00001.JPG
    throttle00001.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle00002.JPG
    throttle00002.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle00003.JPG
    throttle00003.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
  • throttle00004.JPG
    throttle00004.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-10-14.txt
    71.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020-10-16.txt
    210.8 KB · Views: 0
Lots of data in the log files but it covers a wide range of activity over two days. When running various programs you did some sleep - resume cycles, some power plan changes and probably 101 other changes. Without being there, it is difficult to pinpoint anything.

The second log file does show that sometimes your laptop enforces the 15W TDP power limit. This is normal. Many laptops do this. Undesirable but completely normal. HP enforces the TDP limit on many of their laptops. It is great when you get lucky and buy a laptop that does not do this. I have a Lenovo C930 with a 15W 8th Gen U CPU that can run at 30W. The 15W TDP limit is never enforced. It overheats before it ever power limit throttles.

The forced 15W power limit is usually controlled by an embedded controller within your computer. It compares data from various sensors, flips a coin and then decides, let's make this guy miserable. Lock 'em down to 15W. Changing Windows power plans and ThrottleStop settings is probably not going to solve this.

The unusual part is that sometimes your laptop can run beyond the 15W limit for 3 or 4 minutes. Try doing some consistent testing. Get ThrottleStop setup however you like and then completely shut down. When you start back up, do not make any changes to your setup. Stick with the Ultimate Performance plan when you shut down and use this plan when you resume. Have the log file already enabled in ThrottleStop. Go play a game or whatever. Load the CPU for at least 15 minutes and see if you get any power limit throttling. If you do get throttled, stop and do a sleep resume cycle and then test again and see if it goes away. You might always be power limit throttled during longer tests. You will probably be power limit throttled sooner during full load tests. Run the built in TS Bench test. Do you get power limit throttling to 15W fairly quickly?

The main screen of ThrottleStop shows that the Speed Shift EPP variable is set to 128. This setting prevents the CPU from reaching maximum performance. For maximum CPU speed, this needs to be set to 0. Click on 128 and you can edit this value. Try combining that with the Ultimate Performance power plan with the Min and Max processor state in that plan set to their default values of 100%. If you want a more balanced profile where your CPU slows down when lightly loaded, set EPP to 80 or 84. A setting of 128 is too much.

No matter what I do neither throttle stop or XTU is consistent. one day it will work all the time the next day five minutes or not at... There has to be some random HP software governor running here.....

Lots of data in the log files but it covers a wide range of activity over two days. When running various programs you did some sleep - resume cycles, some power plan changes and probably 101 other changes. Without being there, it is difficult to pinpoint anything.

The second log file does show that sometimes your laptop enforces the 15W TDP power limit. This is normal. Many laptops do this. Undesirable but completely normal. HP enforces the TDP limit on many of their laptops. It is great when you get lucky and buy a laptop that does not do this. I have a Lenovo C930 with a 15W 8th Gen U CPU that can run at 30W. The 15W TDP limit is never enforced. It overheats before it ever power limit throttles.

The forced 15W power limit is usually controlled by an embedded controller within your computer. It compares data from various sensors, flips a coin and then decides, let's make this guy miserable. Lock 'em down to 15W. Changing Windows power plans and ThrottleStop settings is probably not going to solve this.

The unusual part is that sometimes your laptop can run beyond the 15W limit for 3 or 4 minutes. Try doing some consistent testing. Get ThrottleStop setup however you like and then completely shut down. When you start back up, do not make any changes to your setup. Stick with the Ultimate Performance plan when you shut down and use this plan when you resume. Have the log file already enabled in ThrottleStop. Go play a game or whatever. Load the CPU for at least 15 minutes and see if you get any power limit throttling. If you do get throttled, stop and do a sleep resume cycle and then test again and see if it goes away. You might always be power limit throttled during longer tests. You will probably be power limit throttled sooner during full load tests. Run the built in TS Bench test. Do you get power limit throttling to 15W fairly quickly?

The main screen of ThrottleStop shows that the Speed Shift EPP variable is set to 128. This setting prevents the CPU from reaching maximum performance. For maximum CPU speed, this needs to be set to 0. Click on 128 and you can edit this value. Try combining that with the Ultimate Performance power plan with the Min and Max processor state in that plan set to their default values of 100%. If you want a more balanced profile where your CPU slows down when lightly loaded, set EPP to 80 or 84. A setting of 128 is too much.
I know it been a while but I think this is the solution found it at Brads hacks..https://bradshacks.com/disable-power-limits/

I know it been a while but I think this is the solution found it at Brads hacks..https://bradshacks.com/disable-power-limits/
I have been using it for over a week and the TDP has stayed at full power all the while.. again I thank you for all your help...

Some computers limit the turbo power. They may lock them before you boot up. They become unlocked after you perform a sleep resume cycle. The inverse can also occur, in which the turbo power restrictions are initially unlocked but are locked after performing a sleep resume cycle.

Back