Intel Drops Thunderbolt 3 Royalty, Adds CPU Integration

I would pay an unbelievable amount of money to have that problem. I'm stuck with 10/1 internet where I live.

I moved, last place I was at I had the same problem, I had to pay for business class to get 50/10. Few months after moving ATT started laying fiber and I got really excited. Best part? $80 a month, while my 50/10 was $135.

Looks like the 8TB externals (WDC reds) do around 185 MB/s raw in the outer tracks.

Thats what I was moving to, and my Windows storage spaces was the bottle neck, and I was seeing 260MB/s write speeds to the reds. Going to do some testing on them when I get home to see actual write speeds and total read speed for the new drive pool.

Um, yea, I was going to point out the Gb to GB thing that somehow people on this forum are still messing up but see above

Even slow ass Reds will do more then that lol, and that's before you even factor in normal network overhead which pretty much promises that you won't see 125 MBps in real life, for me I usually top out around 113-119 real world

I was thinking it, and thought I might as well mention it JUST in case, you know?

Add in DLing a number of files off a 1Gbps/1Gbps internet connection and then moving files or streaming off of that computer etc etc, you notice when the DLs slow or stop as the transfer speeds up.

I think you are confusing 1Gb with 1GB. Many normal HDD today will do 125MBs, which is 1Gbps, and that's a single drive, moving my drive pool over the other day from the slow Windows pool to Stablebit I was at 260MB's before all my drives were added.
I suppose large platter drives are faster than I remember I always thought of them in the 60 and at best 80 MBps range, I don't use them any more even on the servers but I still stand by that if you want speeds for 10Gbps you are better off just going SFP+ and going with fibre.

A PCIe SFP+ card will run you $40 the module the cable another $20 or so depending on the length you want, but yeah a switch that can handle those speeds are still gonna run you at least $400. But if you are just going to connect a limited number of devices Desktop to NAS for example you could always just direct connect them and bypass the switch all together probably get the whole thing done for under $200.

Last edited:
I suppose large platter drives are faster than I remember I always thought of them in the 60 and at best 80 MBps range, I don't use them any more even on the servers but I still stand by that if you want speeds for 10Gbps you are better off just going SFP+ and going with fibre.

A PCIe SFP+ card will run you $40 the module the cable another $20 or so depending on the length you want, but yeah a switch that can handle those speeds are still gonna run you at least $400.

I know how much it runs, which is why my original post....

I would buy a laptop that had a thunderbolt 3 with a USB-C on it so I could hook it up to an externally powered high-end GPU. I can see the cost savings right there. If something happens the GPU or laptop, i'm not out one or the other. Simply replace and move on.

A PCIe SFP+ card will run you $40 the module the cable another $20 or so depending on the length you want, but yeah a switch that can handle those speeds are still gonna run you at least $400. But if you are just going to connect a limited number of devices Desktop to NAS for example you could always just direct connect them and bypass the switch all together probably get the whole thing done for under $200.

Well I could run fiber to every port in my house for hundreds and hundreds of dollars... and the labor of putting on all those unicams and all that crap to finish each wall plate, then make or buy jumpers and

Or, I could just get 1000' of CAT6 for like $130 and use all the tools and wallplates and fittings I already have, run the cable much easier and not have to worry about cracking the glass, and finish each wallplate in like a minute flat, then my entire system is set for an easy transition as long as my runs are under 180 or so feet. All this in a system that can run 1 Gb and then 10 Gb with the matter of changing only 2 pieces ever, on parts that are or will be built into everything. I've yet to see a single smart home device with an SFP on it

HDMI 2.1 is faster. 100gbs over twin-ax or fiber would also like to disagree.

But I mean, what's going to be the point of this if not video? External graphics cards?

External graphics cards would be a pretty nice benefit if every new laptop gained that ability. HP already has a laptop that happens to work with an external card over TB3.

External graphics cards would be a pretty nice benefit if every new laptop gained that ability. HP already has a laptop that happens to work with an external card over TB3.

I'm not up on the standard but, is there enough power for a GPU on that bus or would you need another power source?

I would buy a laptop that had a thunderbolt 3 with a USB-C on it

I'm sensing a lot of confusion on USB-C as well in this thread. USB Type C is the physical reversible port classification. USB 1.1/2/3/3.1 CAN be had from USB Type C, as well as Thunderbolt 3. Just because it says USB-C, doesn't mean it's ONLY USB.
That being said. A TB3 port also implies all USB 3.1 specs.

Back