Intel Discontinuing Branded Desktop Motherboard Production

Discussion in 'Intel MoBos' started by HardOCP News, Jan 22, 2013.

1. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

The only reason i was sometimes buying Intel desktop boards because they were the only ones in the lowend price range (sub-130€) with Intel NIC. Nearly everyone other product in that price range has Realtek.

2. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Does this mean they will stop making the chipsets? or do they mean just the board itself? I thought intel's chipsets were some of the best in the business?

3. jonathonball

jonathonball [H]ard|Gawd

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025...rd-business-to-focus-on-new-form-factors.html

4. Josephson_Junction

Josephson_Junction [H]Lite

I was referring to its feature set, which happens to make it very handy in such an environment.

Also, are you implying that motherboards can't have a target market?

5. erexx

erexx Limp Gawd

So much for an "Intel" based reference motherboard.
    As a motherboard chipset designer now, like nvidia, I wonder who will become the 3rd party favorite?

6. MRAB54

MRAB54 Gawd

:D:D:D

7. Emtu

Emtu n00b

I agree, I also like the DQ77MK and have been using it in my office builds for a while now. Nothing can really match support for 3 monitors, dual gigabit, two PCI-e with one being an open ended 4x, mini pci-e, and in a micro ATX form. If there is someone please let me know.

8. krotch

krotch [H]ardness Supreme

As long as Intel keeps making CPUs and chipsets, it won't be a huge loss. Granted, many of Intel's boards were feature rich, but also cost quite a bit too.

9. lordshado

lordshado Limp Gawd

you guys always buy the cheapest boards and other junk out their ,Intel makes the best stuff. do you use russian made cpu Elbrus International .:rolleyes:

10. lordshado

lordshado Limp Gawd

your completly right on man.

11. Big_bichano

Big_bichano n00b

I don't think the rest of the replies here understand the magnitude of this. We have been an Intel only board shop for at least 5 years. There is no other board maker that will give me a 3 year next day warranty. I will give up a couple features for real support/updates and a great warranty. I think this will cheapen the custom OEM industry as a whole and only help the big ones (Dell HP) in the end.

12. Skip_ray

Skip_ray [H]Lite

We used them for vPro features. Also was nice that if the board died you could easily purchase a replacement board. Executive series had some sort of guaratentee as to how long they would be in production.

Really made replacing systems with OEM O/S a breeze.

I know there's other options out there but dang... we just really starting getting vPro to work well.

13. PhaseNoise

PhaseNoise [H]ard|Gawd

I prefer to buy American whenever possible. Are there other domestic motherboard designers (I can't think of any), or have we surrendered another industry?

14. StormUP

StormUP Gawd

I wonder if they consider mini-ITX to be a desktop format or one of the "other form factors" they'll concentrate on.

15. nightmare99

nightmare99 [H]Lite

Also most of the other manufacturers cheap out on components and end up using parts that draw too much power for example for most third party boards to achieve EuP/ErP compliance you have to enable it in the BIOS which actually means you loose WOL which is really not acceptable.

16. weebling1

weebling1 2[H]4U

That should be past tense, was, welcome to 2013 brother!

This has yet to be seen. And the seriously [H]ard will just move on to something like server CPUs and someone will niche elitist overclocking MB's for them. Your not gonna stop the world from having constant data access 24/7 while they're taking a piss or climbing a mountain or some other rediculous unneccessary location.

I just wonder when we'll get enthusist moddable mobile devices and what they'll do.

17. Disposed

Disposed [H]ardness Supreme

Who's you guys? Intel boards where always overpriced, missing features and had shoddy bios support. Intel does not even make the motherboards there was nothing about them that was built better than the competition in the price range. The last worthwhile board they made was the bad axe 2.

And lol at "business motherboards" enjoy your glorified single socket server boards and the horrid price tag that comes with it.

18. lordshado

lordshado Limp Gawd

go back to your EPoX Motherboards ! :eek: you need to give up your 486 dx4 and come to the real world of pc.:p

19. Aseras

Aseras 2[H]4U

Supermicro > *

20. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

Dude, those so-called "American" boards were built by Foxconn, a Chinese company.

21. Disposed

Disposed [H]ardness Supreme

The very same Foxconn that in every apple story is basically a slave factory. Which in turn is the same Foxconn where just about every electronic device has some component made in.

22. Hagrid

Hagrid [H]ardness Supreme

Like most everything else..... :(

IIRC you can call it American made if you do the last step or some crap on it.

23. Derangel

Derangel [H]ard as it Gets

I think that's a load of crap to be honest. I don't consider something American made unless it is actually made in the US. I consider the stuff I do at work American made since we actually do all of the assembly work and soldering. The PCBs and some parts come from China and other countries, but we do the actual work of putting it all together. Things that are made in another country and simply branded by an American company don't qualify at all to me. So things like Intel motherboards, iPhones, etc don't fit into what I'd consider "American products".

24. Hagrid

Hagrid [H]ardness Supreme

Yeah, it does suck. I remember way back when I worked for Motorola and they sold the line I was working on to Korea, so they could make it cheaper and send the parts back here. :(

25. Squall_Rinoa89

Squall_Rinoa89 Limp Gawd

They already said they wouldn't make Desktop PC CPU's soldered into the main board..

As for the news, eh... don't know any enthusiasts who actually buys an "Intel" Branded board. No real loss.

26. SpongeBob

SpongeBob The Contraceptive Under the Sea

Don't worry ASUS got your backs folk RMA all day every day.

27. evilsofa

evilsofa [H]ardForum Junkie

I bought an Intel motherboard not too long ago - the DP67DE, when the Sandy Bridge CPUs and motherboards first came out. Wanted to overclock my 2500K with it, and it appeared to allow you to overclock (if you could make sense of the arcane BIOS settings), but it seemed unable to hold the overclock for more than a minute. After a year or so the conclusion from the few who were trying to work with Intel on it was that the non-BG boards dropped OCs after a minute by design and that Intel intended OCers to just get the BG boards.

Recent versions of the DP67DE BIOS imply that overclocking might be fixed... but it's too late for me to find out because I swapped it out for an ASUS board that OCs my 2500K to 4.3GHz with a single mouse click and no BS. The DP67DE is in my father-in-law's PC because it is, other than the OC issue, a solid board with no problems running a CPU that you don't intend to OC.

28. zkostik

zkostik Gawd

Amen to that, was going to say exactly the same thing. The only Intel board I've had was an old socket 775 board when first c2d came out. It sure lacked many features and layout indeed was sub par. It's still being used and never had any problems. I got that for a free along with a processor back when Intel was doing some kind of marketing/education program. It does somewhat bother me how this may impact competition nonetheless, as we're losing yet another mobo manufacturer. We'll also have to see how 3rd party mobo manufacturers will fare now that they won't have a reference mobo design either. I'm sure big companies with plenty of experience under their belts will do fine but I doubt any smaller new companies will see the light of day.

29. Zangmonkey

Zangmonkey I Realize My Disabilities - You Do Too

One sad thing: Intel was the only manufacturer giving consumer-IR headers on their motherboards (AFAIK).

This made their boards unique and desirable for HTPCs

30. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

Intel ? I only seen CIR headers on ASRock boards.

31. Zangmonkey

Yup, Intel media series board have a CIR header which is pre-bios. So you get power-on from completely off.

32. faugusztin

faugusztin 2[H]4U

33. Zangmonkey