Intel Discontinuing Branded Desktop Motherboard Production

Joking aside it was nice to know there were there if you needed a stable no frills option and the customer was willing to pay.

The only reason i was sometimes buying Intel desktop boards because they were the only ones in the lowend price range (sub-130€) with Intel NIC. Nearly everyone other product in that price range has Realtek.

Does this mean they will stop making the chipsets? or do they mean just the board itself? I thought intel's chipsets were some of the best in the business?

Does this mean they will stop making the chipsets? or do they mean just the board itself? I thought intel's chipsets were some of the best in the business?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2025...rd-business-to-focus-on-new-form-factors.html

Snyder also said Intel remains strongly committed to desktop CPUs and chipsets, citing K series CPUs, which allow end-user overclocking, and upcoming third-generation Extreme CPUs as key examples. The company will also continue to support a broad array of sockets, including LGA 2011 for performance enthusiasts; the LGA 1155/1150 sockets for mainstream processors; and BGA parts for entry-level platforms. (Reminder: LGA 1150 is the new socket design for upcoming Haswell CPUs.)

So much for an "Intel" based reference motherboard.
As a motherboard chipset designer now, like nvidia, I wonder who will become the 3rd party favorite?

I wish they would at least have continued manufacturing business class motherboards. The DQ77MK has been my absolute favorite mATX workstation/business board, and the fact that there won't be any updates of it for future processor generations saddens me. I know there are other options out there such as DFI, but still...
I agree, I also like the DQ77MK and have been using it in my office builds for a while now. Nothing can really match support for 3 monitors, dual gigabit, two PCI-e with one being an open ended 4x, mini pci-e, and in a micro ATX form. If there is someone please let me know.

As long as Intel keeps making CPUs and chipsets, it won't be a huge loss. Granted, many of Intel's boards were feature rich, but also cost quite a bit too.

Can anyone honestly say they bought a Intel board for anything? They were not budget friendly, and generally never warranted enough features for the price they were asking. So this comes as no surprise.

you guys always buy the cheapest boards and other junk out their ,Intel makes the best stuff. do you use russian made cpu Elbrus International .:rolleyes:

Bash all you want, but the D975XBX2 Bad Axe 2 is one of the best motherboards I've owned. Their boards are vanilla, but they're very stable and they're great about supporting them with updated drivers and BIOS's and documentation in clear English. I can't say that for a lot of the Taiwanese board makers where everything is in Chingrish and they tend to dump boards on the market and never update them. It's great that some of those Taiwanese boards overclock so well, but if they aren't stable it's really all for shit. A lot of the Taiwanese motherboards are frankly garbage, and Intel was my go to brand when I wanted something that "just works." This makes me sad.

The other thing that scares me about this is it really sounds like Intel is abandoning desktop computers. I fucking hate laptops, and ultrabooks seem especially terrible to me because they're basically extremely expensive throwaways that can't be upgraded or repaired. If Intel is really headed down the path of making all mobile stuff, that's a path I can't follow. You can have my desktop when you pry it from my cold dead hands. If Intel is going to be retarded and stop doing desktop computers, maybe AMD wants my business. I know I'm not alone in wanting a desktop. This whole mobile tablet fad thing needs to go die in a fire.

your completly right on man.

This really sucks, Intel boards tend to be rock solid and have the best warranty support in the UK, the following is true

Smaller systems integrator;-

For gold Intel partners you have an advanced replacement swap out warranty

In a warranty case you will get exactly the same model as a replacement which none of the other manufacturers can guarantee.

BIOS branding and customization tools provided and supported right from the Intel website

There are no other Thin Mini ITX boards available in the channel at the moment, I guess somebody like Gigabyte will have to step up to the plate.

Also partly for the reasons above some of the largest systems integrators here almost exclusively use Intel Desktop boards including;-

Stone Computers (Intel's largest desktop board customer in EMEA apparently)
RM plc
Viglen

This is really sad news to be waking up to.

I don't think the rest of the replies here understand the magnitude of this. We have been an Intel only board shop for at least 5 years. There is no other board maker that will give me a 3 year next day warranty. I will give up a couple features for real support/updates and a great warranty. I think this will cheapen the custom OEM industry as a whole and only help the big ones (Dell HP) in the end.

We used them for vPro features. Also was nice that if the board died you could easily purchase a replacement board. Executive series had some sort of guaratentee as to how long they would be in production.

Really made replacing systems with OEM O/S a breeze.

I know there's other options out there but dang... we just really starting getting vPro to work well.

I prefer to buy American whenever possible. Are there other domestic motherboard designers (I can't think of any), or have we surrendered another industry?

I wonder if they consider mini-ITX to be a desktop format or one of the "other form factors" they'll concentrate on.

Also most of the other manufacturers cheap out on components and end up using parts that draw too much power for example for most third party boards to achieve EuP/ErP compliance you have to enable it in the BIOS which actually means you loose WOL which is really not acceptable.

Bash all you want, but the D975XBX2 Bad Axe 2 is one of the best motherboards I've owned...

That should be past tense, was, welcome to 2013 brother!

...The other thing that scares me about this is it really sounds like Intel is abandoning desktop computers. I fucking hate laptops, and ultrabooks seem especially terrible to me because they're basically extremely expensive throwaways that can't be upgraded or repaired. If Intel is really headed down the path of making all mobile stuff, that's a path I can't follow. You can have my desktop when you pry it from my cold dead hands. If Intel is going to be retarded and stop doing desktop computers, maybe AMD wants my business. I know I'm not alone in wanting a desktop. This whole mobile tablet fad thing needs to go die in a fire.

This has yet to be seen. And the seriously [H]ard will just move on to something like server CPUs and someone will niche elitist overclocking MB's for them. Your not gonna stop the world from having constant data access 24/7 while they're taking a piss or climbing a mountain or some other rediculous unneccessary location.

I just wonder when we'll get enthusist moddable mobile devices and what they'll do.

you guys always buy the cheapest boards and other junk out their ,Intel makes the best stuff. do you use russian made cpu Elbrus International .:rolleyes:

Who's you guys? Intel boards where always overpriced, missing features and had shoddy bios support. Intel does not even make the motherboards there was nothing about them that was built better than the competition in the price range. The last worthwhile board they made was the bad axe 2.

And lol at "business motherboards" enjoy your glorified single socket server boards and the horrid price tag that comes with it.

Who's you guys? Intel boards where always overpriced, missing features and had shoddy bios support. Intel does not even make the motherboards there was nothing about them that was built better than the competition in the price range. The last worthwhile board they made was the bad axe 2.

And lol at "business motherboards" enjoy your glorified single socket server boards and the horrid price tag that comes with it.

go back to your EPoX Motherboards ! :eek: you need to give up your 486 dx4 and come to the real world of pc.:p

I wish they would at least have continued manufacturing business class motherboards. The DQ77MK has been my absolute favorite mATX workstation/business board, and the fact that there won't be any updates of it for future processor generations saddens me. I know there are other options out there such as DFI, but still...

Supermicro > *

I prefer to buy American whenever possible. Are there other domestic motherboard designers (I can't think of any), or have we surrendered another industry?

Dude, those so-called "American" boards were built by Foxconn, a Chinese company.

Dude, those so-called "American" boards were built by Foxconn, a Chinese company.

The very same Foxconn that in every apple story is basically a slave factory. Which in turn is the same Foxconn where just about every electronic device has some component made in.

Like most everything else..... :(

IIRC you can call it American made if you do the last step or some crap on it.

Like most everything else..... :(

IIRC you can call it American made if you do the last step or some crap on it.

I think that's a load of crap to be honest. I don't consider something American made unless it is actually made in the US. I consider the stuff I do at work American made since we actually do all of the assembly work and soldering. The PCBs and some parts come from China and other countries, but we do the actual work of putting it all together. Things that are made in another country and simply branded by an American company don't qualify at all to me. So things like Intel motherboards, iPhones, etc don't fit into what I'd consider "American products".

I think that's a load of crap to be honest. I don't consider something American made unless it is actually made in the US. I consider the stuff I do at work American made since we actually do all of the assembly work and soldering. The PCBs and some parts come from China and other countries, but we do the actual work of putting it all together. Things that are made in another country and simply branded by an American company don't qualify at all to me. So things like Intel motherboards, iPhones, etc don't fit into what I'd consider "American products".

Yeah, it does suck. I remember way back when I worked for Motorola and they sold the line I was working on to Korea, so they could make it cheaper and send the parts back here. :(

so i guess this kills the idea of cpu's being soldered on motherboards now?

They already said they wouldn't make Desktop PC CPU's soldered into the main board..

As for the news, eh... don't know any enthusiasts who actually buys an "Intel" Branded board. No real loss.

I bought an Intel motherboard not too long ago - the DP67DE, when the Sandy Bridge CPUs and motherboards first came out. Wanted to overclock my 2500K with it, and it appeared to allow you to overclock (if you could make sense of the arcane BIOS settings), but it seemed unable to hold the overclock for more than a minute. After a year or so the conclusion from the few who were trying to work with Intel on it was that the non-BG boards dropped OCs after a minute by design and that Intel intended OCers to just get the BG boards.

Recent versions of the DP67DE BIOS imply that overclocking might be fixed... but it's too late for me to find out because I swapped it out for an ASUS board that OCs my 2500K to 4.3GHz with a single mouse click and no BS. The DP67DE is in my father-in-law's PC because it is, other than the OC issue, a solid board with no problems running a CPU that you don't intend to OC.

I really dont think anyone bought a Intel Branded board on this forum in probably a LONG time. Last time I bought one it was probably 8+ years ago and it was expensive, lacked so many basic features and the board layout sucked a**. But its been running for 8 years straight 24/7 and hasnt created any huge problems yet so I will give them that.

Amen to that, was going to say exactly the same thing. The only Intel board I've had was an old socket 775 board when first c2d came out. It sure lacked many features and layout indeed was sub par. It's still being used and never had any problems. I got that for a free along with a processor back when Intel was doing some kind of marketing/education program. It does somewhat bother me how this may impact competition nonetheless, as we're losing yet another mobo manufacturer. We'll also have to see how 3rd party mobo manufacturers will fare now that they won't have a reference mobo design either. I'm sure big companies with plenty of experience under their belts will do fine but I doubt any smaller new companies will see the light of day.

One sad thing: Intel was the only manufacturer giving consumer-IR headers on their motherboards (AFAIK).

This made their boards unique and desirable for HTPCs

Back