Intel Devil's Canyon: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly @ [H]

i would have to disagree, going from a z95 to a z97 was a very nice upgrade. When you resell your components every year it should not cost you more than 100-150 bucks for a nice 10%+ speed bump

coming from a 3570k
to a 4790k at 4.8 and even at 4.7 the improvement is noticeable

Noticeable in what exactly? some video rendering? photo rendering? content creation?

Coming from a 3770K at 4.6ghz, my new 4790K 4.4ghz (aka. turbo) pulls a few more 3D Marks but I've seen no major difference in games or really anything else...hence why I'm not sure I really even want to go with an overclock beyond turbo. I just don't know if I'd see anything from it or if I really want the trial and error of the whole thing. I guess if someone or a program/game gave me a reason I'd try. I do some work with Adobe Creative Suite and even a little bit of video, but I didn't see any real difference in the day I played around so far.
There's only just so quick a program can open and going to a SSD showcased about 100x more day to day desktop performance than any processor upgrade in my life.

when you run 2560x1440p and have kick ass video cards like a GTX 980 in SLI or running emulators that just use processing power , it makes a difference. Plus overclocking to 4.7 is easy when using a good AIO cooler from corsair or kraken.

Sounds like you might want to stick to AMD since they are cheap processors with mobos that are good and will get the job done.

personally the way i see it when buying both brands now AMD and Intel is would you rather drive a Honda/KIA for the next year or two or a Acura/infiniti?

intel to me has alot more horsepower and is a better quality product but costs a bit more

I run 5760x1200 with 2 r9 290s. I'm not sure what the amd comment is about, the 2550k is an i5 lol.

I'm not saying the 4790k is a bad cpu but coming from a second gen i5 I see very little performance difference in games. IE everything ran great before.... everything still runs great lol. People not overclocking would probably see a bigger difference with the 4.4ghz turbo speed. Saying 4.7 is easy is a bit of a stretch, most people even on custom water are seeing ~ 4.8 from what I have seen.

With the most recent microcenter deal I just couldn't pass up the upgrade. I already knew there wouldn't be a big difference so i'm not upset. Just wanted to comment so anyone with a perfectly good i series setup thinks twice about ditching their rig for a devil's canyon expecting a huge change. If I spent $500 on a new cpu and mobo expecting a noticeable improvement I would be a bit miffed. IMHO if you are upgrading from an 1155 / 1150 socket, 2011 is the only meaningful way to go.

I just bought one from Microcenter for $279 and it does 4.6 with just 1.22volts, played BF4 for few hours today, ran x264 and no crash:cool:

gave the 4770k I was using to one of my bros, it had a top OC of 4.3ghz:mad:

I am going for 5ghz after the delid:D

Difficulties in OC land. Constant voltage is useless because it'll throttle the multiplier down towards 3GHz. Auto/offset want to run the voltage to the moon. And offset can't really lower the voltage much due to crash at idle speeds. If I could just cool the damn thing, it would run 4.5 @ 1.21 (reliably, not min voltage) is my take, looking at my data. As it is, I can only get 4.2 without throttling due to temp. 4.6/4.7 incur a voltage jump, not worth it. Best shot so far with typical tower air cooler, 4500 with Offset of -0.050 which holds 4.3-4.5 in Prime95 small fft using 1.19-1.25v.

Inside, how big is the gap between the die and the lid? Needs a thin copper shim and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra ... I think I'm actually going to try a delid. Not for more MHz, just for lower temps.

Last edited:
The link re-writer is corrupting links like this. It crushes com and news together. Go ahead, click and see!

Hmm yes.
When I mouse over, it shows the URL correctly.
But when I click it, the slash between com and news is missing.

Moving from a 4GHz i5 760 to a i5 4690K was an amazing increase. Besides that 4.5GHz @ 1.3v was an easy feat and all of that is on Air. Hoping to be able to get to 4.6GHz but for now im quite content at 4.5GHz

Made it to 4.5 w/ 4.4 cache @ 1.182v on this new 4790K today (Viet Nam X439B415). Tested with P95 FMA3 instructions for two hours and has now been crunching various Boinc projects stably for 4 hours. I'm using an H100i and avg temps in Boinc with 7 tasks on the CPU and another on the iGPU are right around 60c. Synchronous CPU/cache @ 4.5 would have made it perfect, but I am absolutely happy with this chip.

I do have to downclock my 2666 memory to 2400 with this chip, though. I lose about 8MB/s if I run them at 2666 instead of 2400, which makes no sense. I think the IMC just can't handle 2666 and prefers the 2400 speed.

My last 4790K wouldn't go past 4.4 without needing more voltage than I wanted to give it (~1.25v or more was needed), since I run Boinc on it almost 24x7. I try to find the happy balance between reasonable voltage, temps, and performance (clock speed), so I can feel safe running my CPU's hard on Boinc for long periods of time.

Last edited:
Made it to 4.5 w/ 4.4 cache @ 1.182v on this new 4790K today (Viet Nam X439B415).
My last 4790K wouldn't go past 4.4 without needing more voltage than I wanted to give it (~1.25v or more was needed), since I run Boinc on it almost 24x7. I try to find the happy balance between reasonable voltage, temps, and performance (clock speed), so I can feel safe running my CPU's hard on Boinc for long periods of time.

Since your temps are so good you can push it more than that! And you can lower your uncore at 4Ghz since you dont really get any performance from it! I also fold 24/7 with my 4790K running at 4.7Ghz 1.235v/4.0Ghz 1.0v (uncore) at low 70c.

I have *just* came from the AMD bulldozer side (FX-8120) this last week, and got an i5-4460 with a 97 chipset board (Gigabyte Z97). Come to find out, a friend has just ordered a i7-4790K for me. Shame I didn't know about it, I could have saved on not buying the i5 and I cant return it.

I haven't done any manual overclocking since the... Socket A days when I was a more hardcore gamer. How well do the current batch of 4790 chips OC? I only read the first 6 pages or so of this thread.

After a couple months I'm starting to play around with an overclock and have settled on 4.6ghz. I've got it rock solid and I'm happy with it.
Out of curiosity, what is the opinion of overclocking the processor cache? My stays at 4.0 by default, although I bumped it to 4.4 just for the hell of it. Are there any real world reasons to bother?

It takes about .7ghz of cache to equal .1ghz of core speed. So at 4.4 it's like your core is at 4.65. Not really worth but it is a measurable increase.

Moving from a 4GHz i5 760 to a i5 4690K was an amazing increase. Besides that 4.5GHz @ 1.3v was an easy feat and all of that is on Air. Hoping to be able to get to 4.6GHz but for now im quite content at 4.5GHz

What type of load are you using for stability testing? Temps? 1.3 vcore seems a little high for air cooling.

What type of load are you using for stability testing? Temps? 1.3 vcore seems a little high for air cooling.

I ran Intel Burn-In tests for stability. It was stable even up to 4.5GHz but I did notice I had to bump vcore to 1.35 for increased stability at 4.5

I've sense actually upgraded to an i7 4790K

mine has been stable up to 4.7ghz with only 1.25v, been running it for many months now.

temps are in mid 50's during gaming.

Rock solid stable @ 4.7 GHz with 1.24V, very happy I replaced my ailing 4770k with this. I could only get 4.3 GHz @ 1.29V on it.

Just thought I'd chime in with my 4790K overclock - a year in the making.

The IMC on this thing is beyond beastly:

Intel 4790K (De-Lidded) @ 5Ghz, 1.51v, 4.58Ghz cache, 106.5 BCLK, HT off
4 X 4GB Kinston HyperX 2666mhz @ 3120mhz @ 13-16-15-33-1T, 1.81v (Asus Maximus VI Hero)

Stable in everything except anything that uses AVX2, but this is deliberate as I'm using manual vcore, not adaptive.

The reason is that Intel has setup these chips such that when AVX2 instructions are used, the CPU will bump up the voltage by ~ 0.1v in order to remain stable. But this boost gets exponentially higher as you bump up the vcore, so anything above ~ 1.3v and you'll get bumped up more like 0.3v! I seriously don't wanna know what voltage I'd end up with starting at 1.51v (already rated as 'deadly' by studio overclockers).

So yeah, been taking 1.5v for a year now and still going strong... :cool:

I had to overclock the BCLK because, oddly enough I can't get the same ram overclock with the next higher ram multiplier - even if I manually enter ALL memory timings! Not sure what that's about.

Oh, and this chip can take 180mhz BCLK if I want to, however, this motherboard has a bug where if you run the SATA in RAID mode it then doesn't properly set the PCIe bus strap and you end up hilariously overclocking everything on the SATA bus. Found that out the [H]ard way... :p

Mine is running the same 4.7 except stock voltage. Never hiccups either. Wait forgot about boost. I'll have to check it I guess.

Last edited:
It cant do that speed stock.
And its up to you whether you use power saving features when you overclock.
Stock and Turbo are not mutually exclusive.

So 4.7 is essential 4.4 stock and turbo to 4.7? Sorry for all the question, I got a 4790k coming in and my last cpui was 2500k and it is a lot different

Back