Intel Core i9-9900K 9th Generation CPU Review @ [H]

Discussion in 'Intel Processors' started by Kyle_Bennett, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Intel Core i9-9900K 9th Generation CPU Review - 8am CDT

The new 9th generation Intel i9-9900K CPU is upon us! AMD has been pushing into Intel's desktop market and Intel knows it. Today Intel is pulling the curtain back on "not paid for" reviews and we are happy to be serving you one of those up here today. Is the i9-9900K better than the Ryzen 7 2700X, and is it worth the staggering price premium?

If you like our content, please support HardOCP on Patreon.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    nEo717, JunXaos, isp and 8 others like this.
  2. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

Performance is not surprising but a 2700 can be had at almost half the cost.

3. tacos4me

tacos4me Gawd

Was hoping for better overclocking. As expected though, I guess.

Mahirzukic2, ianken, DrezKill and 2 others like this.
  4. Riccochet

Riccochet Off Topic Award

Interested to see how the 2920X performs compared to this. I'd assume that it'll blow the doors off the 9900X in content creation, but will be a bit slower in games.

5. Nimisys

Nimisys PM Kyle for the TItle You Pick.

Not worth the premium over the 2700x to me, but glad as hell to see it on the landscape. We actually got competition again. We all know what the next Ryzen is going to target, and we all win.

Real question is when Intel is going to show a new design. Because this thing is almost screaming 1.13ghz P3 again.

6. Kyle_Bennett

That will be close. We have one on the way in and will certainly be looking at that.

7. Brahmzy

Brahmzy [H]ardness Supreme

Hmmm. Was really hoping there’d be a bit better overclocking headroom. Maybe keep the 8086Ks...

Neapolitan6th and mikeo like this.
  8. Brahmzy

Brahmzy [H]ardness Supreme

Kyle, do you think 5.0 all core with no AVX offset is doable on a H115i?

9. Budwise

Budwise [H]ard|Gawd

Somewhat disappointing. Sure I figured it would be power hungry but it's almost like the STIM did nothing to help with the heat.

TechCat and Neapolitan6th like this.
  10. Kyle_Bennett

WmOrt, Sgraffite, SickBeast and 9 others like this.
  11. Chris_B

Chris_B [H]ardness Supreme

Fuck me that's one hot running knee jerk reaction to 2700x bodge job of a cpu. I'd hate to see the temps if they were using their toothpaste tim, so for all their bluster about "hey guyz out of the goodness of our hearts we're using solder again" it's more like they NEEDED to use it to get temps even this bad.

Shadowed, rgMekanic, Doc Doc and 16 others like this.
  12. Chris_B

Btw typo on last page Kyle_Bennett

Slash3 likes this.
  13. bigdogchris

bigdogchris Wii was a Novelty

I suspected a while ago that Intel was only using sTIM to be able to push the chip really hard OOB and there would be limited OCing headroom. You can't just pull massive CPU gains out of your ass in a short time, and it seems Intel basically factory OCed this chip for you and slapped a K on it to make you think you could add more.

14. eclypse

eclypse 2[H]4U

Wow.. glad I got a 8700k @5.2ghz. Hold out for another year no problem.

isp, SickBeast, DrezKill and 7 others like this.
  15. Chris_B

Surprised they don't bundle one of their 28 core chilling units with this cpu :p

Darth Kyrie, N4CR, Vercinaigh and 7 others like this.
  16. Chris_B

The one positive being anyone that buys this will have to spend less on their Winter heating this year :D

17. kenpomasta

kenpomasta Gawd

Great review. This just shows the real reason Intel wanted all of the reviews embargoed ahead of the pre-order release.... I dont really see the reason to go up to the 9900k, if you have a prev gen high end, that is anywhere near 5GHz. Im surprised at how close the CPU is already at the limit. Not what we come to expect from the top end K processors. And def can use the system as your winter room heater.

eclypse and LightsOut41 like this.
  18. pcgeekesq

pcgeekesq [H]ard|Gawd

Looking forward to seeing an i7-9700K review: I won't be surprised if the non-HT part OC's better and is the top gaming CPU.

Edit: From Anandtech: "For the Core i7-9700K, we hit 5.3 GHz very easily, for a small bump in power and temperature."

SickBeast, Doc Doc, Dahkoht and 4 others like this.
  19. Sulphademus

Sulphademus Limp Gawd

Rough IPC comparison.

AHv3ijZ.png

Remove Heaven and the average for Score benchmarks drops to 79%.

20. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

So uh, do we want to address what happens to performance once the Spectre/Meltdown fixes are added, or do we not care?

I'm not trying to start something here, this is a genuine question. I'm still on a 2500k and haven't been keeping up with this issue because my PC is usually off these days.

jmilcher, AceGoober and DF-1 like this.
  21. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

Great review! I noticed the same thing with power / heat when pushing my 8700k over 4.8ghz, I can do 4.8 all core with fairly low bump in voltage, and manageable heat on a 280mm AIO setup, however getting to the magic 5.0 takes a lot more power and the heat shoots up(delid/relidded with liquid metal)

22. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

love watching his video's.. never even thought it was possible to grind down a cpu die like that. the results though are quite interesting, hope he's able to get some official answers on why the dies so thick.

you mean the hardware fixes for spectre/meltdown? performance hit should be less than the software fix overhead that currently exists.

ZeqOBpf6 likes this.
  23. Chris_B

24. Meeho

Meeho [H]ardness Supreme

If the CPU was $1000, would it still have gotten a gold award? What about $2000? Is it a performance only award? You often factor the cost in your PSU reviews, but CPU/GPU not so much. Is 16% even noticeable?

25. Nicepants42

Nicepants42 Gawd

I mean whatever fixes are applicable to the CPU under review. I don't know if they've added hardware fixes to these parts, or if we still need to fix it in software.

If I want to run a 9900K that is as immune as currently possible to spectre/meltdown, what does that do to performance?

26. Kyle_Bennett

For what we see as high end or halo products we generally award these on performance, as we truly do not expect "value" in this category. As always, the award is subjective, and if you want to obsess on that and ignore all the words written about the product, that is surely your prerogative. However, if you read even just the conclusion in our review, I think we have laid out what the 9900K is all about in very specific terms on performance and price.

PestXs, Slash3, SickBeast and 16 others like this.
  27. ole-m

ole-m Limp Gawd

Many after the launch presentation hated on the 9900K.
    I really didn't understand that, hate the company but not the product.

They gave us a 8 core mainstream platform cpu.
    They gave us Soldered heatspreader.
    They maintained clocks, it's all the specs all wanted.

Is it great value ? no, but it's the pinnacle of an allround cpu and the best at it but if it's the best product I don't know....
    It's borderline gold rating as nothing else offers anything close.

OnceOver, SickBeast, Doc Doc and 3 others like this.
  28. Kyle_Bennett

We are using the latest version of Win 10 Pro with all the latest updates, so the performance we show is the performance you would get. We do this now with both AMD and Intel CPUs.

29. Budwise

Budwise [H]ard|Gawd

Oh wow, that is pretty bad. So still even with STIM it's beneficial to delid but now much more difficult. What a disaster...

30. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles Gawd

Really makes me consider just disabling HT on the 8700K and getting another 100-200mhz with lower volts/temps.

eclypse likes this.
  31. Kyle_Bennett

Now we are all wishing for cheap paste again. :) Not exactly a lot of folks willing to sand down the die. lulz. Yeah, we have done it before, and you can eff stuff up really quickly.

32. psyclist

psyclist Gawd

Good review guys, Glad to see the real numbers, and for me its a hard pass...They are right on the ragged edge to claim these ~16% performance numbers all while pushing that 60-70% price premium. I like bang for your buck, not throwing my money down on whatever they feed us.

One thing I will say is that the 9900k will keep your system more relevant than say the 2700X as GPU's get faster, so you should be able to squeeze another year out of a rig built with the 9900K vs the 2700X before bottlenecking the GPU too bad (yay frequency!)

But im still resolute in waiting for 7nm and PCIe 4.0, before upgrading...as I like to live on the 5-6 year upgrade path, i've also seen DDR5 articles popping up more, maybe thats where to jump in again. Great times to be a PC enthusiast again, reminds me of the 2003-2006 era. Thanks again guys, keep up the good work!

Deleted member 93354 likes this.
  33. AceGoober

AceGoober Live! Laug[H]! Overclock!

90c when overclocking? Woah! I like the performance of the 9900K but the high temps are a no-go. If I ever buy a 9900K I'd be happy at stock clocks since most of the games I play perform very well at 4.0 to 4.4Ghz as they did on the 4790K I used to own.

Thanks for the review [H].

34. OFaceSIG

OFaceSIG [H]ard|Gawd

Clocked to the ragged edge to extend the lead as much as possible to justify the price. That's why they brought back solder, because they had too. Even the new 28 core Xeon monster they are releasing still uses standard TIM. More shenanigans from the blue camp, just like the green camp. Sad, truely sad. I see through the bullshit.

Cannot wait for Zen2.

Darth Kyrie, DrezKill and LightsOut41 like this.
  35. Budwise

Budwise [H]ard|Gawd

GamersNexus is also going after the STIM issue.

SickBeast and AceGoober like this.
  36. Master_shake_

Master_shake_ Little Bitch

bless intels little heart

they're still pricing cpus like its 2016.

37. LostMF1

LostMF1 n00bie

if you're only gaming, at 1440p, with a 6950x, is this a viable upgrade?

38. Elmy

Elmy Gawd

Hey Kyle_Bennett What voltage did you go up to on your overclock?

To hit 5.3 - 5.4 you need to push 1.4 - 1.45.

You might have already tried that. Just throwing it out there.

39. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Big bad Intel halo cpu beats up AMD cpu that is half the price. Good job guys. /s

40. Damar

Damar [H]ardness Supreme

After seeing this, I'm thinking I'll replace my 4770K with a 9700K just for something to do to scratch that upgrade itch. ;)

SickBeast, DrezKill and ManofGod like this.