Intel Core i7 920 Processor Boxed - $199 again!

Tempting.

I've been trying to decide whether I want to grab a 920 for $200 now or wait for the 930, decisions decisions.

It's not "back down to" since it's never changed from the $199 price in the last ~8 months or so. It's still b&m only as well. Unless there's something I'm missing...?

It's not "back down to" since it's never changed from the $199 price in the last ~8 months or so. It's still b&m only as well. Unless there's something I'm missing...?
You missed the fact that MC has been selling i7 920 for $230 for the last couple months.

anyone want to sell one of these to me?

I'm guessing Micro Center has a limit-per-household thing right? Otherwise everyone would just mass buy and resell them :p I tried for a while and couldn't get anyone to buy me one :(

anyone want to sell one of these to me?

I'm guessing Micro Center has a limit-per-household thing right? Otherwise everyone would just mass buy and resell them :p I tried for a while and couldn't get anyone to buy me one :(

don't know of any limit. There are a few guys who would do it if you offer $20 on top of the cpu (+ local sales tax/shipping). Can still save $45~50 over newegg's price (w/o tax).

There is a one-per-household limit, and the deals are in-store only.

At those prices, we're selling the processors at a loss. That's why it's in-store only. We want the opportunity to attach motherboards, memory, cases, cards, that kind of thing.

awesome man. when i got my 920 in November they were like 270 on MC..so i dont know...jealous.

guess they changed it to 199 for every store now, I guess tustin, ca store didn't get updated when you posted, now it is at 199. good deal regardless.

So the question is, do I want to drive 40 miles to Boston for one and what are the odds it's a D0?

There is a one-per-household limit, and the deals are in-store only.

At those prices, we're selling the processors at a loss. That's why it's in-store only. We want the opportunity to attach motherboards, memory, cases, cards, that kind of thing.

You work for MC? If so, tell some of the Corp. bigwigs to get some damn stores over here in Florida!! (Pensacola to be precise, the rest of the state can kiss it LOL)

You work for MC? If so, tell some of the Corp. bigwigs to get some damn stores over here in Florida!! (Pensacola to be precise, the rest of the state can kiss it LOL)
...and AZ. Fry's needs some good competition.

FYI, there is a 1 per limit but it is not enforced. They will let me buy as many as I want.

Odds of D0 is probably everyone that you pick up will be a D0. I do not even think they are celling C0's anymore.

Tempting.

I've been trying to decide whether I want to grab a 920 for $200 now or wait for the 930, decisions decisions.

Depends, why are you thinking about waiting for the 930? Because it is a higher base clock or the possibility that it could be 32nm? If it's the higher base clock just go for the 920 and O/C it, it's proven itself very well - who knows how the new ones will O/C.

Depends, why are you thinking about waiting for the 930? Because it is a higher base clock or the possibility that it could be 32nm? If it's the higher base clock just go for the 920 and O/C it, it's proven itself very well - who knows how the new ones will O/C.

Well I guess it's pretty much the "not knowing" factor, I'm sure it'll end up just being a few clocks higher, but if I buy the 920 now, and the 930 ends up surprising us, will I kick myself? I'm not in much of a rush, but then again, the 920 price is pretty incredible and I doubt the 930 will be sold for anything under list for a while. I'll probably end up grabbing a 920 and being happy with the decision.

930 will have higher multi, and if it comes at the same price, 930 is better for oc'ing.

Its said everwhere I've seen that the 930 will debute at 920 pricing. This was even in Maximum PC Feb issue. It is also a 32nm so that person that is questioning the odds of it being a 32nm chip can stop questioning.

Its said everwhere I've seen that the 930 will debute at 920 pricing. This was even in Maximum PC Feb issue. It is also a 32nm so that person that is questioning the odds of it being a 32nm chip can stop questioning.
Please link your source of the 930 being 32nm. Right now 32 vs 45 nm is speculation. You stated it as fact so please provide your source.

So the question is, do I want to drive 40 miles to Boston for one and what are the odds it's a D0?

Can't vouch for Boston, but I bought one in Minneapolis in September and it was D0 (I asked to see the box before purchasing, and I was fully ready to ask the person to go back and get me another box if necessary). I can't imagine there are many C0 920s still in circulation.

They are D0s... Microcenter had D0s in Boston here months ago.

Mine was D0 but no guarantee it will oc - mine does 3.8 on 1,25 and no more (crashes or too hot if I push over) but rock solid at 3.8 HT on...our tax is 8% too but we do have income tax...oh to live in a big oil state!

32nm 930 not gonna happen, Intel is not gonna undercut the sales of the higher-grade 1366 i7s again.

Actually, even the later C0's were clocking just as well as the new D0's at the time. The chances of you finding a C0 are slim to none though.

For what it's worth, I got my D0 from the NJ MC in December (3941B047 batch) and it isn't one of the greatest overclockers comparatively speaking. I need 1.35V in order to keep it stable at 4GHz with HT on (and yes I do use it) but the hottest core never sees above 77C, with the rest in the mid to low 70s. Even still it does everything just fine from playing games to encoding videos. Unless your goal is to break world records, you'll be fine with whatever you end up getting. :cool:

Please link your source of the 930 being 32nm. Right now 32 vs 45 nm is speculation. You stated it as fact so please provide your source.

Oppss I remembered wrong. I was reading about the 930 the same day I read the Maximum PC Feb issue. Its the I9 that will come equiped on the 32nm. My bad.

Take into account that intels new chips that have recently came out are 32nm process though. Why couldn't they use this for the 930 since its in their hands?

Take into account that intels new chips that have recently came out are 32nm process though. Why couldn't they use this for the 930 since its in their hands?

:rolleyes: Care to read second post above yours? I've already said - Intel doesn't want to and can't push 32nm adoption just yet, the tech is relatively new, the yields are relatively low and Intel can't afford undercutting sales of its high-end consumer CPUs by introducing 32nm low-end part.

Houston's is 8.25%... but with no income tax, I'm not complaining :).

Pfft 9.75% sales tax here, with outrageous income tax. Took over $500 from my last paycheck.

I just picked up my D0 920 earlier. They had in-store ads for $230, but it's still $200 online luckily, cause I had to reorder this morning after they canceled my order, didn't know they only gave you 3 days to pickup.

Grabbed mine today from the CA Tustin location, also picked up a prolimatech megahalems. Cool store, never been to one before, they have a ton of cool stuff.

Cool, thats where I picked mine up at too, first timer as well. They have a decent water-cooling section, good to know in case of an emergency.
Liked the store a lot more than Fry's, Fry's has a ghetto feel and it's always ridiculously crowded, have to wait 20mins+ in line every time at the checkout. I was the only person in line at MC.

went to the sunnyvale location today for one of these, then over to fry's for two of their $70 hitachi 1TBs. i was just wondering if batch#3941B075 is a good overclocker?

thanks for the heads up OP!

Back