Intel Core i7 920 D0 Overclock

I stumbled across this other thread on another forum where a guy overclocks a D0 revision of the i7 920. Well, he got some pretty remarkable results. The thread continues trying to discredit the OP saying that it was an engineering sample rather than a retail sample of the processor. In any case, lets open this up and discuss it here.

Intel i7 920 D0

I stumbled across this other thread on another forum where a guy overclocks a D0 revision of the i7 920. Well, he got some pretty remarkable results. The thread continues trying to discredit the OP saying that it was an engineering sample rather than a retail sample of the processor. In any case, lets open this up and discuss it here.

Intel i7 920 D0

That isn't trying to discredit the OP, just a lot of idiots jumping on the "it isn't retail" bandwagon. Judging by what's coming out of the 3844A batches though, things might be looking up for D0.

That isn't trying to discredit the OP, just a lot of idiots jumping on the "it isn't retail" bandwagon. Judging by what's coming out of the 3844A batches though, things might be looking up for D0.

I definitely agree. I am looking in retail stores for a D0. Rather get a D0 over a C0, even if it doesnt change anything. Just like to have the latest and greatest.

Opps, sorry I was not clear, my 920 is due tomorrow. I do not know if it will be a DO.

I definitely agree. I am looking in retail stores for a D0. Rather get a D0 over a C0, even if it doesnt change anything. Just like to have the latest and greatest.

Even if it isn't 'the greatest'... :D That's funny. I think you're simply wasting your time.

The ONLY difference between the C0 and the D0 is purely cosmetic. That, and the required BIOS update...

BTW, the guy has his ram at 1.72v...not something I would suggest.

GoldenTiger,

You said you ordered yours from Newegg recently? Do you know which batch you received? What is the package date? Thanks for sharing.

GoldenTiger,

You said you ordered yours from Newegg recently? Do you know which batch you received? What is the package date? Thanks for sharing.

Ordered late Thursday night (3/12/2009), shipped Fri. morning, arrived today.

Intel Core i7 920
Pack date: 01/14/09
Batch #: 3841A557
Stepping/S-Spec: SLBCH

If you've heard anything about this batch/etc. before would love to hear :).

Intel Core i7 920

:eek::eek::eek:

I just received mine from Amazon:

Batch # 3841A558

VERY VERY SIMILAR....what a coincidence.

The 920 c0 are not so bad. mine will run 3.8ghz all day at stock voltage with everything on.. but darn if I cant get it 100% stable at 4ghz.

Consider yourselves lucky, I don't remember what mine is but it is a CRAP overclocker, I have to have it at 1.4vcore just to keep it stable at 185x19 (3.6 GHz) :mad:

This is on a EX58-UD5. I'm in the process of seeing how low I can go on the volts but.. it usually locks up and BSODs.

GoldenTiger,

I ordered mine from New Egg on Sunday evening (the 15th of March). It should be here in the next few hours. As soon as I get it I will post the batch Etc.

OK, it just came in.
Pack date 02/27/09
Ver # E51453-002
Batch 3841A775
SLBCH
SO this is a later batch but is it CO or DO?

Thanks, I see that in the spec now. I was waiting for a 975 to be available (which is DO) but with so many reporting good OC results with this chip and with an almost completed rig sitting here waiting AND with the sales that are going on I decided to order. As soon as I can make an excuse to stop working for a while I will set it up :):)

We need to keep track of where D0 is in stock. I feel as if newegg will be the first to send out D0's then retail stores like Frys and Microcenter . If anyone bought an i7 from Newegg, please keep us updated on what batch number you have received.

Make sure you look at whether they OC'ed with HT on or off. HT On requires much more voltage and produces a lot more heat. Take the HT off numbers with a grain of salt.

Intel Core i7 920

If you've heard anything about this batch/etc. before would love to hear :).

Got mine from buy.com March 2nd and it's pretty much the same. Haven't overclocked it yet but it's running on an p6t vanilla with stock cooler. Idles around 37/42.

Intel Core i7 920
Batch #: 3841A573

Do you guys realize that there is NO difference between the C0 and D0 besides a cosmetic one.

Basically, the serial number on the chip package will be removed from the ink swatch to reduce a potential risk of the IHS cosmetically overlapping it.

No but the DO will be in the new i7975 chip and from what I hear, the new 955?. I have not heard that it will be included in the 920 but I would guess that if they were going to do so all three would be available at the same time, perhaps in a month or so.

S-SPEC on the D0's will be SLBEJ but nobody knows the batch number.
Supposed to start shipping sometime this week, but except for places like tankguys where you'll pay ~$100 extra over MC/Frys you're looking at a few months for the channel to clear

Went to microcenter in Marietta, GA and called up the place in Duluth, GA and they both have 3841s. They just got in a new shipment and they are the same as before :(

3841A's are good chips

If you really want a gauranteed D0 you'll need to shell out for the 950/975 or buy from tankguys.

We need to keep track of where D0 is in stock. I feel as if newegg will be the first to send out D0's then retail stores like Frys and Microcenter . If anyone bought an i7 from Newegg, please keep us updated on what batch number you have received.

In my experience, Fry's is getting new stuff quicker ('cause they run out of it more I guess). I know that I got E0 8500 almost at the same time they came out while newegg was still shipping out C0 8500s last year. Pretty sure same thing will happen with 920s, they keep running out of stock on those

In my experience, Fry's is getting new stuff quicker ('cause they run out of it more I guess). I know that I got E0 8500 almost at the same time they came out while newegg was still shipping out C0 8500s last year. Pretty sure same thing will happen with 920s, they keep running out of stock on those

Good point. Also they are price matching nearby if there is a nearby Microcenter. I will check into the Frys more often. Thanks.

I just purchased a combo deal at Fry's with i7 920 and P6T for ~ $470 - $480 (not sure if price discussion is allowed?)

Anyway...I just wanna input that the 920 I have still is NOT D0 stepping:rolleyes:
well...i kinda hope it is....or maybe I will check back later in the week to see if I can exchange one.

Details:

S-Spec: SLBCH
Batch #: 3841A826

Not sure if it is a good batch?

Also, should I just go with this C0 stepping or should I really wait?
I am think just doing mild OC to 3.2 -3.6 paired with CM V8...
is this C0 sufficient?

Thanks for all the input!!!:)

Most can't---- but the guys over XS can..... to a point. For the normal John Doe overclocker here, D0 stepping isn't worth peeing your pants over.

I dont think its either, but you have to admit....3844s are amazing overclockers. And seeing that D0 will have a later batch than the 3844s.....makes you wonder. You have to admit, Intel is cooking up something good. And I want it.

I just purchased a combo deal at Fry's with i7 920 and P6T for ~ $470 - $480 (not sure if price discussion is allowed?)

Anyway...I just wanna input that the 920 I have still is NOT D0 stepping:rolleyes:
well...i kinda hope it is....or maybe I will check back later in the week to see if I can exchange one.

Details:

S-Spec: SLBCH
Batch #: 3841A826

Not sure if it is a good batch?

Also, should I just go with this C0 stepping or should I really wait?
I am think just doing mild OC to 3.2 -3.6 paired with CM V8...
is this C0 sufficient?

Thanks for all the input!!!:)

More than enough for 3.2-3.6 GHz.

I dont think its either, but you have to admit....3844s are amazing overclockers. And seeing that D0 will have a later batch than the 3844s.....makes you wonder. You have to admit, Intel is cooking up something good. And I want it.

In all honestly, the difference is purely cosmetic. Just because a few D0's have overclocked well does not mean that yours will. It's a game of chance and getting a golden chip. I've seen several C0's that have done 4.5GHz on air cooling and 4.7-4.8GHz under water blocks. Having the latest and greatest is only good when there's an actual physical difference in performance between the latest and the previous chips. In this case, the change is purely cosmetic, which doesn't translate into performance improvements.

In all honestly, the difference is purely cosmetic. Just because a few D0's have overclocked well does not mean that yours will. It's a game of chance and getting a golden chip. I've seen several C0's that have done 4.5GHz on air cooling and 4.7-4.8GHz under water blocks. Having the latest and greatest is only good when there's an actual physical difference in performance between the latest and the previous chips. In this case, the change is purely cosmetic, which doesn't translate into performance improvements.

I would disagree. I have seen some D0s that overclock pretty damn well. So far, I havent seen one that doesnt.....please prove to me otherwise. You need to know that these newer batches are using less voltage (3844s) then previous chips to get to the same speed. This means that the temperature at load is going to be much less clock for clock compared to older batches. If you know this, then this is worth the extra hassle to get specific batches b/c when you increase voltage, temperature will increase at an exponential rate. Another note, running these chips at higher voltages than what intel recommends will likely degrade operational lifetime. So you would want to get a lower voltage cpu that clocks just as well as one that has a high voltage. And to address your statement about C0 that clock pretty damn well. What I can say is that yes, those were some good chips but look at their voltages at those speeds. Do you see what im trying to get at?

Back