Intel Confirms Adaptive Sync

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Intel has confirmed the use of Adaptive Sync technologies in upcoming processor graphics and discrete graphics. Lisa Pearce, Vice President at Intel Corporation, went on to say that Intel in no way would be moving towards a proprietary technology to employ adaptive sync. So it would seem that we will be seeing upcoming Intel CPUs with iGPU adaptive sync support. Don't believe me? Go listen for yourself.

Yes. We are supporting Adaptive Sync.

Oh yeah, Intel GPU with a freesync monitor. Hopefully it is priced right... sure to take a good chunk of marketshare away from Nvidia. Count me in.

Too cool!

Smart move by them as the display market continues to adopt and grow.

That's going to require a pretty low minimum sync range! (Rimshot)

...as I sit here missing the variable V-Sync I have in my desktop while gaming on my ultrabook- I'm up for upgrading when Intel puts out a successor mobile CPU with VRR for the panel.

Yes, the HD620 in the 8550U is capable of driving League of Legends at 60FPS at 1080P ;).

How is anyone surprised by this?

They've lured away AMDs talent.

They've used AMDs tech with Kaby lake G.

It's an established ecosystem of monitors.

Sadly until Intel and AMD BOTH have discreet GPUs that can compete with NVidia in the high end GSync isn't going anywhere.

I don't want GSync to go anywhere. I want it to get cheaper, and I want to see FreeSync reach feature parity in all implementations.
I'd like that anti-consumer proprietary bullshit to die.
Same with Hairworks and the like. It's all anticonsumer and doesn't push the industry forward.

But Freesync could stand to have some higher standards.

Huh. I figured they'd implement iSync and we'd have THREE technically-identical but proprietarily-incompatible VRR platforms to choose from.

Oh yeah, Intel GPU with a freesync monitor. Hopefully it is priced right... sure to take a good chunk of marketshare away from Nvidia. Count me in.

Or just put the final nail in the coffin for AMD.

AMD struggles to hold their own at the top end. If Intel comes in a chews up market share at the mid to low end, AMD's graphix business is toast.

I just don't get how anyone thinks that Intel jumping hard into the market is bad news for only one competitor and not the other as well.

And unless Intel cards are going to have the power to top NVidia cards, G-Sync isn't going anywhere soon. Specially now with all the people out there with good solid G-Sync displays.

That's demand guys.

Demand meet Supply.

Time to get real. Many people just like myself have spent good money for their G-Sync monitors and I'm not replacing mine any time soon. Not at least until there is a significantly better format that I want. Until then, I want NVidia G-Sync monitors and I am pretty damned sure NVidia will be more then happy to keep their adaptive sync solution on line and supported in their products.

Last edited:
Or just put the final nail in the coffin for AMD.

AMD struggles to hold their own at the top end. If Intel comes in a chews up market share at the mid to low end, AMD's graphix business is toast.

I just don't get how anyone thinks that Intel jumping hard into the market is bad news for only one competitor and not the other as well.

And unless Intel cards are going to have the power to top NVidia cards, G-Sync isn't going anywhere soon. Specially now with all the people out there with good solid G-Sync displays.

That's demand guys.

Demand meet Supply.

Time to get real. Many people just like myself have spent good money for their G-Sync monitors and I'm not replacing mine any time soon. Not at least until there is a significantly better format that I want. Until then, I want NVidia G-Sync monitors and I am pretty damned sure NVidia will be more then happy to keep their adaptive sync solution on line and supported in their products.

AMD will still provide midrange GPUs likely and APUs. Honestly, I don't care if Intel steals the marketshare. At least we would still have 2 players and Intel with a big R&D budget would help.

AMD will still provide midrange GPUs likely and APUs. Honestly, I don't care if Intel steals the marketshare. At least we would still have 2 players and Intel with a big R&D budget would help.

Intel already commands some market share with their onboard graphics products. Discrete cards are more of the same and if Intel is going to take a shot at anyone, do you think it'll be NVidia or AMD, the guys who are pushing against Intel for server markets and motherboard chipsets? It wasn't NVidia that said they were going to come out to "regain dominance in the server room".

Now I like the idea of more competition. No problems with it at all. I just think some people are forgetting that it's demand that drives markets, not supply. As long as there is a demand for G-Sync you can bet NVidia is going to meet it. At the same time, if NVidia decides that a newer technology is the profitable path and retaining G-Sync is going to work against it then that might be the day.

Last edited:
I really wish Nvidia would get on board but they're too busy rolling in the money to give a shit. G-sync is little to no better than freesync and if anything it seems to have issues with more and more games lately. I've used 2 different g-sync monitors and ran into games that had problems. An issue is we have too many people that are so oblivious that they praise everything that they buy and don't even pick up on any issues. We have people here that are so clueless that they will claim that g-sync works perfect in every game. These will be the same type of people that would tell you SLI works perfect too. If Nvidia, AMD and Intel would just come together on VRR it would be happy times for gamers but arrogant Nvidia is not going to let that happen.

I'd like that anti-consumer proprietary bullshit to die.
Same with Hairworks and the like. It's all anticonsumer and doesn't push the industry forward.

Eh, G-Sync did push the industry forward- and it's still the superior solution. I wouldn't mind if FreeSync (et. al.) took over completely, but only if it at least matched G-Sync. As it stands, G-Sync monitors are at least delivering a consistent and range-topping experience, while FreeSync is an utter shit-show.

Also, 'Hairworks' was implemented in DirectX, which also pushes the industry forward ;)

Hopefully this will mean full compatibility with FreeSync (ideally even FreeSync 2, the few there are) monitors, existing and upcoming alike. I don't often compliment Intel these days, but I have to give them kudos for not seeking a proprietary solution. With luck, this will mean Intel + AMD GPUs will both use the open standards for adaptive sync / FreeSync, forcing Nvidia into a corner. I've always hated the lack of FreeSync monitor support because Nvidia could add it easily but choose not to in order to push their proprietary GSync; yet another reason I really hope the next generation of AMD high ends will be competitive as I'm hated Nvidia's policies for ages. While I personally would be fine with GSync completely discontinued in favor of a single, open standard , if nothing else it would be simple for them to enable support on FreeSync monitors as well as maintain their own GSync hardware. They could even use smarmy marketing if need be like "We can support the other guy's stuff because we're SO generous and badass, so get a taste there and then step up to our superior GSync!" which is one reason I don't know why they've refused thus far!

In any event, good on Intel. The more quality standards that can replace proprietary nonsense, the better!

So I'm in this weird position where I could go either way -- FreeSync or Gsync. Currently running 1070SLI, but I could run RX 580 /8G in crossfire. The only problem is I think RX 580 in xfire is probably 1/2 the speed of the 1070 solution. :-/ I have the RX 580s left over from mining.

IN the meantime I play on a 60hz IPS monitor & live with the tearing. Trying to find a 1440p g-sync monitor @ 144hz under $300 (new) seems to be impossible. Finding an G-sync IPS under $400 is almost impossible as well.

I'm not surprised Intel has been a good open source citizen for a long time. I fully expect their new GPUs will be aimed at Vulcan, Freesync and every other free and open API Intel software engineers can support.

Hopefully AMD can refresh their consumer GPU offerings... and Intel can get some strong third option cards on the market. Perhaps they can force Nvidia to support open standards instead of paying developers to roadblock everyone else. (not likely, but its not impossible.) :)

Back