Intel confirming high end gaming GPU, again...

nEo717

Limp Gawd
Intel stepped out earlier this year, announcing its intentions to enter the discrete GPU space for gaming, 3D graphics professionals, content creation and the data center.

In latest comments from the Intel Graphics Team they confirm in bit more detail the companies plans:

"The company is driving to deliver a true GPU, not an X86 hybrid of some sort" - "best quality and experiences across both client and data center segments, targeting gaming, content creation and the enterprise."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daveal...an/?spredfast-trk-id=sf203319684#65f49c024b05

From what I read with their interview it seems like its going to be mainstream first I think. I think they will probably target the midrange and then target upper high end as time goes on. This likely started before Raja was there given how they were already talking about it when he went to Intel and it is to be released within 2 years of his move. I think we won't really see his work until gen after this. May be 2021-2022 ish. With the budget intel has, Raja will have no excuse about not having resources. He better deliver on the first project that he started under his leadership.

What is going to be entertaining is how Intel will combat Nvidia :)

So when it comes to sales how is Intel going to do this. Don't forget that Intel been striking out in several markets with their "solution".

What is going to be entertaining is how Intel will combat Nvidia :)

So when it comes to sales how is Intel going to do this. Don't forget that Intel been striking out in several markets with their "solution".

Even if they make very competitive products, it would still take several generations to change the mindshare of GPU purchasers.

Even if they make very competitive products, it would still take several generations to change the mindshare of GPU purchasers.

It all comes down to price/performance. I mean look at how an unchecked Nvidia is charging whatever they want in the high end space. People will look to buy something else if it can meet their needs.

With the finances that Intel has, there will be no excuses for him this time. If he fails to deliver, it's all on him.
I think it is more of a long term project. and if the first generation does not suck it might as well take 10 years if Intel wants that market share from Nvidia. Killing it off short term would be the worst decision Intel has ever made.

And 10 years is not that long.

They duped me the last time with Larabee. Won't happen again. They have no driver team capable of supporting it. Their current videocard driver stack is the most un-updated pos I have seen since Nvidia when Vista launched.

Great, we'll have both old red fine wine and new blue fine wine.

Drivers are probably going to be pure garbage, especially for games. I don’t really see what business niche they’re trying to entertain.

But I’m sure this Ex-AMD Raja fella has promise them pure gold.

Good luck with that.

Drivers are probably going to be pure garbage, especially for games. I don’t really see what business niche they’re trying to entertain.

But I’m sure this Ex-AMD Raja fella has promise them pure gold.

Good luck with that.

lol was just going say something along those lines about raja.. especially after he promised the world gold with vega and yeah we all saw how that turned out..

the fact that they pretty much hired the entire gpu marketing team AMD got rid, i don't have much trust in intel's statements about a high end gaming gpu. they should just stick to the AI/enterprise markets.

Last edited:
Let them have a shot at it, as consumers we should appreciate competition.

If youre brand loyal, that's fine. But I like options. I wish them success.

A

The high end gives high profit margins but relatively lower sales. The mid range gives more sales but lower margins. And the entry level the most bulk, but again even slimmer margins.

If I were Intel, I'd deliver a Halo video card that blew the doors off Nvidia who has been very complacent the past few years. This would allow Intel to introduce their video card with fanfare and a BANG, instead of a whimper.

They do not want to position themselves as AMD 2.0 in the GPU market. Because we already look to AMD for cheap low-mid end video cards.

If I had to go out on a limb I'd say their GPU launch would essentially parallel what they did in the SSD marketplace.

If I had to go out on a limb I'd say their GPU launch would essentially parallel what they did in the SSD marketplace.

Initially there SSD's were some of the best available. I do pretty much only buy Samsung SSD's now though.

Initially there SSD's were some of the best available. I do pretty much only buy Samsung SSD's now though.

The one thing that may eventually hold them back on a perf/watt scale is going to be what node they fab these out on. If Nvidia and AMD have product shipping at 7nm (+?), that might be a chasm a little too wide for Intel to compete with over the upper low end to mid range.

That was one effing smart move by Intel.
You do know the backstory right?
Around the Nehalem time, Intel noticed a snag when benching Nehalem vs the previous generation.
Some scores where held back by using spindle drives.
But with a SSD, Nehalem look better.
The rest is history...Intel hurried out SSD's, waited for the competition, then turned their focus from the consumer market to the enterprise market.

Intel loves their profit margins...

I was around for intels last attempt at GPU's.

Ill start caring about this one when they prove they can actually write stable drives for it.

I have no doubt they can design the hardware for it, but i have no faith at all they can write the drivers for it.

Back