Intel Chipset Design Error!!!

Hmm, my Asus "Sabretooth" just showed up from Newegg today, and so did their Sandy Bridge email. ;)

So, with Newegg's policy in their email, I can go ahead and install it, and when revised boards are available Newegg will do an exchange... am I reading that correct? If so, awesome, I'd rather go through them than through Asus customer service.

Yeah I expect that the only catch will be that since they are extending the warranty 'until replacements become available' that you will likely have a limited time for exchange (30 days??) from the time they mail you to notify you about replacements. So it will be pull the trigger then, or deal with ASUS (or MSI or whoever made your board) at a later time.

I got the same email from Newegg, props to them for being proactive about it, making a demo video to show how to work around the issue. Though I know because I follow [H] I'm sure it'll help all those that didn't even have a clue!

I Just Came Back from Micro Center.
Got Full Refund on P67 mobo and i7-2600k.
They were saying box is opened why you want to return it?
so i told them haven't you read the news all over the internet?
All sandy Based Board has Defective chipset on the board.
she said ok and did inspect and check serial # of Cpu and box and receipt,
and she asked what's wrong with the cpu? i told her what's the point for me to keep the CPU if i do not have good board to use? she said that's understandable and gave me full refund on both items.

just little advise =)

I'm still on the fence on returning my stuff or not. Should I return it and get a good P55 board and I7 870 etc etc..

Yeah I expect that the only catch will be that since they are extending the warranty 'until replacements become available' that you will likely have a limited time for exchange (30 days??) from the time they mail you to notify you about replacements. So it will be pull the trigger then, or deal with ASUS (or MSI or whoever made your board) at a later time.

Yep, we'll have to stay on top of the news to make sure we get them back to Newegg in time. I have no doubt that Newegg will keep us up to date on the process though.

Either way i expect it will be much faster and easier to return to newegg than RMA to the OEM.

When the time comes i will try for a cross ship from ASUS otherwise to newegg it goes.

I'm still on the fence on returning my stuff or not. Should I return it and get a good P55 board and I7 870 etc etc..

If you can live without using the bad sata ports keep it and rma/return it when the new stuff comes in.

since i got refund for my mobo and 2600k
i'm looking at Bulldozer.....
it should come out 1st Quart this year which is around march / april
if they come out before new sandy chipset and has good reviews on it.
i might jump to AMD....
Been using Intel for 10 years . and tired of intel ripping off customers as changing Socket size on every new cpu to cause us to buy new mother board as well

Btw can anyone correct me.
I know that the error is for chip manufactured after January 9th. Are all P67 chip manufactured after that ?
Or there are P67 chip manufactured before that which doesn’t count on Intel recall ?

And I agree with maxkilla about Intel ripping their customer on changing socket size :) . I don’t know how they think about their changing socket policy, is it for improvement, or is it just for their sales on their motherboard division.

@dewi
Yes for Consumers it's After Jan 9th.
For Testers They Have Different Chipset Which is A Stepping
We all using B Stepping

I don’t think that’s a good call on returning it with P55 board because it would be downgrading.
I think you should stick for a while until the replacement ready and use a SATA III drive.
Because I read that SATA III drive/port is not affected by the flaw.

This is what Intel gets for constantly wanting to produce new sockets and new chipsets to dwindle every last penny out of its consumers. 6 moth old envy 14 laptop and cant even upgrade to new mobile sandy bridge cpu's. skt 1366 isnt even 3 years old and it's End of life. Oh that's right, I can still upgrade my AM2+ system.

This is what Intel gets for constantly wanting to produce new sockets and new chipsets to dwindle every last penny out of its consumers. 6 moth old envy 14 laptop and cant even upgrade to new mobile sandy bridge cpu's. skt 1366 isnt even 3 years old and it's End of life. Oh that's right, I can still upgrade my AM2+ system.

A laptop that can't upgrade to new CPUs? Color me shocked! Someone get CNN and Al Jazeera on this :eek::eek::eek:

Also good job on the AM2+ purchase. Maybe if AMD keeps making AM2+ CPUs for another 3 years they might catch up with where Intel is right now.

Not to mention anyone who buys a new AMD platform right now cannot upgrade it to Bulldozer.

Who uses Phenon 2 right now can use bulldozer mobo.
@ ocellaris

Bulldozer is AM3+. Old CPUs will work on Bulldozer AM3+ motherboards, but Bulldozer CPUs will not work on current AM3 motherboards. Try again.

@ocellas
that's what i wrote @_@
who uses phenom 2 cpu they can use bulldozer mobo

it's like who used i7-920 can use sandy bridge mobo
understood?

@ocellas
that's what i wrote @_@
who uses phenom 2 cpu they can use bulldozer mobo

it's like who used i7-920 can use sandy bridge mobo
understood?

Sorry, you may not have written that in the best English. I get it now :p

Damn this sucks I just priced out a SB build for one of my customers. Tax season is when I build the most systems. Damn you intel...Couldn't just stick with the same socket could ya. He'll they outa just remake the processors to work in the current socket. Greedy bastards...

I know that the error is for chip manufactured after January 9th. Are all P67 chip manufactured after that ?
Or there are P67 chip manufactured before that which doesn’t count on Intel recall ?

And I agree with maxkilla about Intel ripping their customer on changing socket size :) . I don’t know how they think about their changing socket policy, is it for improvement, or is it just for their sales on their motherboard division.

If it is a P67 or H67 chipset it is affected, period.

Seeing as how the first two ports are fine. i wouldnt mind this for a reduced price. as i only use 1 hard drive and a cd.

Or there are P67 chip manufactured before that which doesn’t count on Intel recall

It's chips shipped since Jan. 9th. Which was the release date of sandy bridge. So, nothing shipped before then. So, ever single p67 boards will be included in the recall.

Been using Intel for 10 years . and tired of intel ripping off customers as changing Socket size on every new cpu to cause us to buy new mother board as well

Damn you intel...Couldn't just stick with the same socket could ya. He'll they outa just remake the processors to work in the current socket. Greedy bastards...

Ok, first of all, Sandy bridge is a revised architecture based on Nehalem/Westmere processors. The reason why it is incompatible with 1156 is many fold, but I'll list the number one why it's incompatible with 1156:

It has a integrated clock generator on die.

That alone would make it not work with any 1156 motherboards. Imagine trying to run a system with two clock generators... you'd run into so many issues its not even funny.

AMD Phenom II X6 is physically identical to Phenom II X4 processors in everything save for the fact that they have two extra cores. That's why it works with a BIOS update. There is nothing new beside the fact that it has 6 cores. Not to mention that the Phenom II processor is a updated version of K9 architecture (currently it's using the K10 arch) and because every previous iteration of AMD processor (from the Athlon64 processors K8 arch) perform in the same way, it's compatible across a wide range of sockets.

AMD hasn't had a real new microprocessor architecture since the K7 days so it didn't require a new motherboard with every new iteration of processor because most of their newer processors were a redesign of the K8 architecture. Intel, on other hand, has a new architecture every few years, which necessitate a new socket.

Second of all, Intel is actually making this easier on us by releasing a new socket. Want the Sandy bridge processor? Get a new motherboard. It's that simple.

I don't know if you were around back in s775 days, there was a lot of motherboards that were incompatible with the 45nm E8x00 and Q9xx0 processors, but the older 65nm processors were compatible. Imagine the nightmare of trying to find out which one worked, which one didn't.

Also, another more modern example would be the SR-2 motherboard. It is a dual 1366 socket. However, it's impossible to run a i7-920 in it (or any processor with single QPI link). eVGA actually lists this in their manual because people got confused about the matter.

By releasing different sockets for everything, Intel is removing this ambiguity. 2011 is going to be Intel's dual socket platform. 1356 is going to be the 1366 replacement.

So I don't want to hear any more complaints about Intel raping your bank account because they're greedy fucks (that's not to say they're not greedy fucks -- they're a multi-billion dollar corporation, after all) but they don't change their sockets just because they're secretly plotting for world domination (that one goes to google). Hell, AMD would change sockets every year if it meant more profit for them.

Please, please, PLEASE, do your homework before making accusations like that. That is all.

Thank you, class is over. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Ok, first of all, Sandy bridge is a revised architecture based on Nehalem/Westmere processors. The reason why it is incompatible with 1156 is many fold, but I'll list the number one why it's incompatible with 1156:

It has a integrated clock generator on die.

That alone would make it not work with any 1156 motherboards. Imagine trying to run a system with two clock generators... you'd run into so many issues its not even funny.

AMD Phenom II X6 is physically identical to Phenom II X4 processors in everything save for the fact that they have two extra cores. That's why it works with a BIOS update. There is nothing new beside the fact that it has 6 cores. Not to mention that the Phenom II processor is a updated version of K9 architecture (currently it's using the K10 arch) and because every previous iteration of AMD processor (from the Athlon64 processors K8 arch) perform in the same way, it's compatible across a wide range of sockets.

AMD hasn't had a real new microprocessor architecture since the K7 days so it didn't require a new motherboard with every new iteration of processor because most of their newer processors were a redesign of the K8 architecture. Intel, on other hand, has a new architecture every few years, which necessitate a new socket.

Second of all, Intel is actually making this easier on us by releasing a new socket. Want the Sandy bridge processor? Get a new motherboard. It's that simple.

I don't know if you were around back in s775 days, there was a lot of motherboards that were incompatible with the 45nm E8x00 and Q9xx0 processors, but the older 65nm processors were compatible. Imagine the nightmare of trying to find out which one worked, which one didn't.

Also, another more modern example would be the SR-2 motherboard. It is a dual 1366 socket. However, it's impossible to run a i7-920 in it (or any processor with single QPI link). eVGA actually lists this in their manual because people got confused about the matter.

By releasing different sockets for everything, Intel is removing this ambiguity. 2011 is going to be Intel's dual socket platform. 1356 is going to be the 1366 replacement.

So I don't want to hear any more complaints about Intel raping your bank account because they're greedy fucks (that's not to say they're not greedy fucks -- they're a multi-billion dollar corporation, after all) but they don't change their sockets just because they're secretly plotting for world domination (that one goes to google). Hell, AMD would change sockets every year if it meant more profit for them.

Please, please, PLEASE, do your homework before making accusations like that. That is all.

Thank you, class is over. Back to your regularly scheduled program.

Nice explanation, no sarcasm intended.

Thanks. I do not mean to be rude or sarcastic (except for the last line :D) so please don't take offense.

I just get annoyed when I read comments like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Sockets#List_of_sockets_and_slots

Socket 1248 for Itanium 9300,
Socket 1567 for Xeon 6500/7500 series,
Socket 1155 for Sandy Bridge DT,
Socket 2011 for Sandy Bridge B2.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

Where are you getting 1366/1355 from?! 2011 will take on high-end 1P through 4P systems. 1155 is everything below it (mainstream -> budget).

I applaud Intel for being able to play the game this well, sheer genius! This rivals the best stock market ploy I have ever read or otherwise experienced.

If you're smart you will stop the knee jerk reactions, stick with your new system build and wait to see what happens over the next few months. Worse case scenario is that you are able to trade out your board in the next three months for free, or if this plays out as I believe it will, have a chance to upgrade to Z68 or 2011 platform at a discount.

If you're smart you will stop the knee jerk reactions, stick with your new system build and wait to see what happens over the next few months. Worse case scenario is that you are able to trade out your board in the next three months for free, or if this plays out as I believe it will, have a chance to upgrade to Z68 or 2011 platform at a discount.

No thank you. Cold hard cash is the better option.

I applaud Intel for being able to play the game this well, sheer genius! This rivals the best stock market ploy I have ever read or otherwise experienced.

AMEN: I agree;)

I think a lot of people are missing the fact that this isn't just an Intel problem. All of the board partners have been receiving and testing 1155 samples for months for their own verification and they all missed the problem too.

So to be clear, I shouldn't worry about using my blu-ray drive for read only junk while it's attached to the sata II ports?

This is probably what makes the decision for me, though I have a usb dvd writer, so either way I'll probably hang onto the board till they can replace it.

Well, first time I heard of that one...All I heard was that 2011 would be the successor to 1366... Thanks, Intel. Now we'll have 3 different sockets for what is basically one platform? Awesome.

Intel hasn't specified whether there will be a socket 1356 or not - it was rumored earlier, bu I don't think it was ever confirmed. And some random Wikipedia page isn't confirmation.

So to be clear, I shouldn't worry about using my blu-ray drive for read only junk while it's attached to the sata II ports?

This is probably what makes the decision for me, though I have a usb dvd writer, so either way I'll probably hang onto the board till they can replace it.

Yes indeed, stuff like optical drives are a good thing to move to the SATA 2 ports if you have run out of STAT 3 ports. You may see a problem, but you should be able to take action before it hoses you.

I would really love to have a new motherboard sometime soon, hope this is cleared up relatively quickly

Intel hasn't specified whether there will be a socket 1356 or not - it was rumored earlier, bu I don't think it was ever confirmed. And some random Wikipedia page isn't confirmation.

Yeah, until I see a number of tech sites like [H]ardOCP report on it I'll take it with a few canisters of salt :)

A bigger thing to think about is what is this going to do to the supply of motherboards for system builders. I'm sure a substantial portion of capacity was (and has been for the last month or two) devoted to cranking out 1155 boards using the Cougar Point chipset. Now all of that supply is headed largely for the boneyard. Hell there's probably whole portions of containers on ships right now that are just going to get what amounts to 'return to sender' treatment shortly after the can hits the dock.

MB makers are probably retooling lines right now that were making 1155 product to go back to older Intel standards, or making AMD based boards. But it's going to take a month or so for the results of whatever shift the makers do, to hit store shelves and be available in the pipeline. Meanwhile the entire portion of the market pipeline that was occupied by 1155 product has just effectively vanished.

Meanwhile anyone wanting to get a system is going to have to use older Intel MB designs or an AMD based system. and the supply of those is going to dwindle pretty quickly I'd think. Some of the demand for new systems is perhaps elastic and will wait for a few months for new SB product, but a lot of it won't be elastic at all, those folks are going to want systems 'right now' and that means older intel series, or AMD.. All that demand will be going against a reduced supply.

So for the next month or so we're going to see some level of scarcity. I doubt we are going to see too many special deals, or a lot of discounting.

On the processor side we see something that's similar in terms of the supply of gen1 Core designs and to a degree AMD product. Product for which there is now 'prolonged' demand instead of people switching over to SB stuff. There's going to be a bunch of SB chips there, but nothing to put them in, and unlike MB's those are not going 'back' anywhere. So we're likely to see a bit of a glut of SB chips, especially considering, how attractive do they need to make the price to get someone to buy the chip now, with nothing to put it in (or even test if it's good and not DOA?) instead of waiting till they have a motherboard. One wonders how rapidly AMD will respond, and if Intel will re-tool or otherwise adjust their output to lay off SB parts for a while in favor of more Gen1 Core chips instead.

Will we see shortages of AMD and Gen1-Core designs? for both chips and motherboards? Will we see amazing bargains on SandyBridge chips either now or once the rev2 1155 motherboards hit? how scarce will 1155 MB's be when they arrive given the numbers that will need to be devoted to RMA's etc.

Gonna be interesting times folks..

If you listen to the Intel conferance call, they are planning to sell more older CPU's this quarter to make up the "gap" caused by Sandy Bridge dropping out. Having the channel dry up woud make that imposible. Basic math is $300 M drop in sales (with all Sandy Bridge gone) typical quarter is $11 B. Most of their sales are CPU's.

Best guess - look for some *great* deals on Intel motherboards and processors in the next couple months. With Sandy Bridge getting the buz, they are going to have to do something to keep sales going.

For the OEM's it's a push a button sort of thing, can't build this, build that. I'm sure Intel is writing them some checks (or discount coupons) to make that less of a pain. The quick turn item there are the motherboards, not quite so much for laptops. Since they need sales, the easy bet would be motherboards.

It's fire sale time !!!

It's chips shipped since Jan. 9th. Which was the release date of sandy bridge. So, nothing shipped before then. So, ever single p67 boards will be included in the recall.

Intel's exact quote was SYSTEMS shipped after Jan 9th. That's the 'street date' for the release at which point you could buy systems based on SandyBridge chips and the '6 series' Cougar Point chipset. Unless you were a reviewer, or someone was breaking their contracts with Intel, NOBODY could buy a Sandybridge based system (or motherboard in retail channels) before that date.

In order for there to be systems (and hence motherboards) available on that day, the chips had to be made by intel, shipped to manufactures, put into motherboards that were put into systems LONG before that date.

Intel's press release is aimed at the average end user who only knows when they bought their new computer, not when it was actually manufactured, when the chips shipped from intel, etc.. They made a simple statement that works for those users.. Don't interpret that into 'chips made before Jan 9th are OK' as that would be completely and totally wrong.

The ENTIRE initial run of the 6-series (P67, H67, etc) suffers from this issue.

Fortunately unless you have a plethora of drives, it's relatively easy to work around for most of us, especially if you bought a higher end board that also features a secondary SATA controller chip such as the Marvell chip found on many such boards. (in that case, not counting E-sata, you likely have 4 'safe' sata ports.)

(which doesn't mean I advocate keeping such systems after replacements are available, but I also would not scrap and immediately return them in all but a few special cases.

Back