Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger candidly reveals where Intel dropped the ball

erek

[H]F Junkie
Unfortunate, anyone notice that AMD is worth $20 Billion more than INTC now?

“Larrabee was a circa-2009 cancelled attempt at building a general purpose compute GPU and consumer graphics card family. It was something of a hybrid of the x86 architecture with the parallelism and graphical functionality of a GPU. Around 2010, GPUs were still used primarily for graphics applications and their use in high performance computing applications wasn't anywhere near as pervasive as it is now. The lucrative GPGPU market is dominated by Nvidia today.”

1699282921053.png

https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-ceo-p...where-intel-dropped-the-ball-in-recent-years/

And if you look into what is happening, AMD is abandoning for RDNA4 the next release high end gaming GPU to Nvidia and eventually to Intel, but concentrating on AI and CDNA on servers for the year 2024. This is where the big business is now.
Frankly, you don't need a 4090 to play. It's not even a luxury. It needs too much power, needs a big case etc etc. It's rather a handicap.

However AMD will come back with RDNA5 and a smarter GPU partially oriented on vector graphics and who should compete with Nvidia especially on professional graphics.

And if you look into what is happening, AMD is abandoning for RDNA4 the next release high end gaming GPU to Nvidia and eventually to Intel, but concentrating on AI and CDNA on servers for the year 2024. This is where the big business is now.
Frankly, you don't need a 4090 to play. It's not even a luxury. It needs too much power, needs a big case etc etc. It's rather a handicap.

However AMD will come back with RDNA5 and a smarter GPU partially oriented on vector graphics and who should compete with Nvidia especially on professional graphics.
Remember the RV770? $169 day one for top tier performance

Intel was guilty of the same strategic flaw that plagued Microsoft, Nokia, BlackBerry (RIM) and others in that era: too much interest in protecting existing products, not enough in anticipating and adapting to the market.

The iPhone, iPad and Android were big wake-up calls that mobile needed to be a top priority. Instead, Intel had a half-hearted approach where it tried to shoehorn Atom into phones without all that much of an overhaul. Larrabee, of course, was a missed opportunity to get into GPGPUs early.

And if you look into what is happening, AMD is abandoning for RDNA4 the next release high end gaming GPU to Nvidia

And that is too bad. AMD is finally doing a good job competing, and Nvidia is lowering prices on the 4070 and I believe 4070 slightly to compete. Just when they start putting out some good products and may start converting customers over, they will go back to the sidelines. I hope they at least have a 7800XT successor/5070 competitor next time even if they give up the higher end models.

I've learned to never hold AMD to anything they say, until it's "done" (visible, tangible).

So if AMD goes off the "deep end", indeed, it could be a huge win for Intel. Regardless, I still think Intel could deliver a complete CPU + discrete GPU combo for less money than an AMD APU. And IMHO, that sort of kills what AMD is doing (for most). I mean, I love seeing iGPU performance, but it's still not low end discrete, and I think Intel could deliver a combo competitively priced bundle for a similar cost that has a full on mid-tier+ discrete GPU. We'll see.

Why do I say this? Remember how Intel "magically" decided to have an "F" class. That seemed "backwards" for a company known for an always present iGPU, but makes great sense paired with an all Intel discrete GPU. I think this was the real reason for the "F". But I am assuming the whole "bundle" idea. Which I think would be a huge win for Intel.

Buy an OEM Intel PC, get mid range discrete GPU with it, and it costs about the same. Intel could do this.

As a Linux user, I'd love to see more Intel discrete GPU driver love from Intel. IMHO, that too would help. Right now, AMD discrete GPU ftw on the Linux side, though I've never really had problems with "team green" and their closed drivers, etc. (it's the principle).

Back