• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Intel Bearlake Pics (DDR3)

Very nice. I really hope this fixes the issues I have with all of the various chipsets currently available. It would be nice to run an intel chip on an intel board that isn't a hackjob.

Do we know yet what dual card solution they went with? With DAAMIT now entering intel's integrated desktop territory, there was some speculation that they would go to the green camp and use SLI instead of crossfire.
 
Very nice. I really hope this fixes the issues I have with all of the various chipsets currently available. It would be nice to run an intel chip on an intel board that isn't a hackjob.

Do we know yet what dual card solution they went with? With DAAMIT now entering intel's integrated desktop territory, there was some speculation that they would go to the green camp and use SLI instead of crossfire.

The current 965/975 boards aren't that bad. The only "hackjob" in them is the 965 IDE controllers which is hit and miss. 975's are solid.

From what I understood it was Nvidia, not Intel, who was keeping SLI from being available on the Intel chipsets. Hacked drivers allowed the 7XXX series to run in SLI on the 975X boards. Now that ATI is owned by AMD, maybe Crossfire will be disabled also.

And isn't DDR3 just another 240-pin Dimm? I heard initially that they were directly pin compatible with DDR2. If that's the case, then we could be looking at some random DDR2 motherboard :p.
 
It was def. nVidia keeping SLi off Intel. But, if AMD keeps ATi off Intel, too, I'd be willing to be nVidia could make the jump. Better to lose the smaller biz (chipsets) and team with a giant like Intel while killing on the larger margin (GPUs). Here's hopin'....

-bZj
 
It was def. nVidia keeping SLi off Intel. But, if AMD keeps ATi off Intel, too, I'd be willing to be nVidia could make the jump. Better to lose the smaller biz (chipsets) and team with a giant like Intel while killing on the larger margin (GPUs). Here's hopin'....

-bZj

I don't know...they have a lot invested in chipsets. I heard somewhere that 680i's sell for $140 or something like that to motherboard manufacturers...and that's just the chipset. That's a lot of cash flowing Nvidia's way and I don't think they're going to be giving that up anytime soon.
 
The current 965/975 boards aren't that bad. The only "hackjob" in them is the 965 IDE controllers which is hit and miss. 975's are solid.

From what I understood it was Nvidia, not Intel, who was keeping SLI from being available on the Intel chipsets. Hacked drivers allowed the 7XXX series to run in SLI on the 975X boards. Now that ATI is owned by AMD, maybe Crossfire will be disabled also.

And isn't DDR3 just another 240-pin Dimm? I heard initially that they were directly pin compatible with DDR2. If that's the case, then we could be looking at some random DDR2 motherboard :p.

there are hardware diferences between DDR2 & DDR3
 
If this supported SLI, then I have found my new motherboard.
 
just read that the slot placement in the memory is in a different place..looks to be about 1/2 inch different placement on ddr3 to ddr2 (the slot looks to be pretty much smack middle)
 
The current 965/975 boards aren't that bad. The only "hackjob" in them is the 965 IDE controllers which is hit and miss. 975's are solid.
They are solid enough, but they use an ICH7 southbridge which is older technology. Not to mention that technically speaking, 975x was never made to support C2D. That is what I was referring to. In any case, I have high hopes for the bearlake. Ideally, my upgrade path will involve moving from my current rig to a bearlake board and a quad core, but we'll see how that pans out once the board, pricing, and reviews have been released.
 
what exactly are the performance differences?

Higher bandwidth (up to 1600 MHz)
Performance increase at low power
Longer battery life (40% less power consumption)
Enhanced low power features and thermal design
 
Higher bandwidth (up to 1600 MHz)
Performance increase at low power
Longer battery life (40% less power consumption)
Enhanced low power features and thermal design

By battery, you mean it is made for a laptop?
 
By battery, you mean it is made for a laptop?

Just by that it consumes less power than the DDR2 counterparts. One of the greatest advantage that the bearlake has is the ability to support back wards compatibility with DDR2 in the board... so you can transition over slowly... which makes it increadibly attractive.
 
If this supported SLI, then I have found my new motherboard.

doubtful.nvidia would be cutting their own throat by having "official" sli on intel boards. for every sli board that intel sells, that could maybe, possibly have 2 nvidia gpu cards put in it, nvidia would be losing a mainboard sale. since multi gpu rigs are a tiny segment of the market, they dont have much to gain by licensing sli to intel. you could buy 1 nvidia gpu and run it in any intel board, without having anything licensed. right now if you want sli, you have to buy nvidia. nvidia has no reason to give consumers a choice in the matter.
 
In the upper left corner, it is clearly says DDR3 and nothing about DDR2. Bearlake has a DDR2&3 controller built into the North Bridge but has the option to support only DDR3, only DDR2 or BOTH! Don't be surprised if BL-X only supports DDR3 to Maximize total RAM installed. These support 8GB of RAM, can do that with 2 DDR2 and 2 DDR3 slots. With system Hogs like Vista and many games, I'd want only DDR3 support on my BLX.

Moving to a higher FSB and and new DDR3 RAM? Folks not expecting a new board is kind of unrealistic.:D
 
Back
Top