Intel Atom or AMD V: Which is Faster?

Circumnavigate

Limp Gawd
Am trying to decide on which netbook to get and was wondering what you guys thought would be faster.

An Intel Atom 1.6 ghz with 2 GB DDR3 or an AMD V series 1.2 ghz with 4 GB DDR3?

I think AMD still has a 100 - 400mhz defficit to Intel since the C2D came on the scene. Take that into account with the lower AMD clocks and the Atom should destroy the V in everything.

If you're really going to buy a netbook and be concerned about speed, get an ultra-portable. Pricier yes but barely larger, way faster and more upgradeable.

I'm gonna tell you from personal experience, The AMD netbook is alot faster for that type of computer. I got an Eee PC and it sucks balls for most things other than checking email and casual web browsing. Flash (youtube type media) really doesn't do that well on the atom setup. I upgraded the Hard drive to a 128gb SSD, put 4gb of ram in it (and yes it does support it) Put Win 7 Home premium 64 bit on it which was also complete waste of money iTunes lags out and stutters like a bitch just playing mp3's and don't get me started on Power Point presentations with that hunk of shit. :mad: I am waiting til me and the IRS get squared up in a couple of weeks and I am going to an APU type netbook then and tossing the Eee PC in the trash after I run over it like 6 times with my truck. The AMD APU setup has alot more horse power for that type of device and it's intended uses. The convenience factor of a 10 inch netbook for work is priceless regardless though.

BUT Like the above poster said, an ultra portable may be a better ticket all the way around.

Am trying to decide on which netbook to get and was wondering what you guys thought would be faster.

What AMD are you talking about?? AMD -Vision?

Then do the AMD....i'm assuming its a NEW AMD chip, not the last generation......if so the AMD for sure, it is better than the Atom.....

I think AMD still has a 100 - 400mhz defficit to Intel since the C2D came on the scene. Take that into account with the lower AMD clocks and the Atom should destroy the V in everything.

If you're really going to buy a netbook and be concerned about speed, get an ultra-portable. Pricier yes but barely larger, way faster and more upgradeable.

You can't generalize across architectures like that. Atom is nothing like C2D.

Asus 1215n dual core atom and ION2 video, even does 1080p video playback :D i love mine.

Wow Intel step up to AMD lol. My mom has a V in her laptop it doesn't slowdown and handles basic tasks well.

What AMD are you talking about?? AMD -Vision?

Then do the AMD....i'm assuming its a NEW AMD chip, not the last generation......if so the AMD for sure, it is better than the Atom.....

The AMD V105 or something like that is a single core, K8-based chip with a 64bit FPU. You could say it was the precursor to Bobcat.

The AMD V105 or something like that is a single core, K8-based chip with a 64bit FPU. You could say it was the precursor to Bobcat.

in which case they will be similar....if you can get a bobcat then without a question the AMD....otherwise its all up to preference

if it's the single core K8 one, then don't bother. I had a Neo 1.6GHz single core (faster than the V105), and it was piss slow in even web browsing, and was an old crud on 65nm that couldn't hold it's charge on a HP DM2z (iirc, that was the model number) for more than 4 hours of just sitting there :mad:

I've had the misfortune of using a netbook with a V105 in it, and believe me, it is just as bad as Atom. I'd rather look for a netbook with either a C-30 or C-50, or just go for one of those $400 HP/Compaq/Dell/Toshiba notbooks that have the E-240 or E-350 (between a netbook and a notebook).

yeah, I think the issue was with dual core vs single core, lol.... I really regretted not getting the Neo X2 variant at the time.

How about this, which one is cheaper, and can you find a netbook with an AMD C-50 around the same price?

Uh what? Atom and Bobcat perform about the same but the AMD GPU is much better.

So its more like Intel: CPU+1/3GPU vs. AMD: CPU+1.5GPU.

OP just get a AMD Zacate based system, they're cheap, have good battery time, and beat the shit out of Atom anything. If you don't think it has enough performance for you then your only option is to get a much much more expensive ultra portable.

amd but if you can afford a i3 intel notebook that will blow amd away

acer had a i3 13in notbook for $380 as i bought it from at@t it had 2gig of ram ram i one stick it is a dual channel capable board/cpu so i ordered a 4 gig set 2gig x 2 and now i have dual channl then i got a64gig ssd sata 280/270 r/w drive and now the notbook is just insane. opens apps on the fly boots in 7sec. Its faster than my 17in apple book there newest model with an ssd drive even with apps and around windows. Its lack is 3d as it only uses intek hd graphic chip.

anyways just look for deals and always upgrade the hdd to an ssd drive the diff in that alone in a nbook is night and day

gl

amd but if you can afford a i3 intel notebook that will blow amd away

Thanks for bringing apples to an orange convention :rolleyes:

in terms of netbooks I'd be looking for a Zacate right now. Better CPU performance than atom due to out-of-order pipeline and better GPU performance than ion

I said amd over the intel atom the rest was just some feedback not met to apple/orange the situation

if it's the single core K8 one, then don't bother. I had a Neo 1.6GHz single core (faster than the V105), and it was piss slow in even web browsing, and was an old crud on 65nm that couldn't hold it's charge on a HP DM2z (iirc, that was the model number) for more than 4 hours of just sitting there :mad:

Probably a DV2Z, I had the dual-core version of it, and it never lasted more than around 2 hours, and nowadays only lasts about 1. UPS will be dropping off a Lenovo Thinkpad X120e today though I can't wait!

HP DM1Z. Easily the best hardware purchase I have made in a few years. Feels like it goes at lightning speed compared to my grandmother's atom based netbook. I don't really even notice a difference between my E-350 compared to my 955 BE doing small tasks like word processing and internet browsing. While I heavily felt the difference compared to the Atom.

After playing with my Thinkpad I can definitely attest to the E350's hype. I ran Windows only briefly (registered my laptop then swapped the hard drive out for an SSD and installed Arch Linux onto it). It's very quick and responsive. Plus the size is about perfect, and since the DM1Z is about the same size (thinner probably) I can definitely recommend it, if on specs alone.

With cpu tasks the atom is faster. With gpu intensive tasks the Amd was faster.

Only the D510/525 is ever so slightly (~1-2%) faster than the E-350 in cpu intensive benchmarks, because of the 4 threads.

Unless you're getting something similar to the E-350 apu, I'd avoid Atom and older low powered AMD Atom-style cpus. Atom is the equivalent of gonorrhea. There are a few APU equipped netbooks and laptops. CPU performance is better (though not great). iGPU performance is good though. Atom will give you some kind of genital rash. Maybe the next iteration won't be terrible.

Unless you're getting something similar to the E-350 apu, I'd avoid Atom and older low powered AMD Atom-style cpus. Atom is the equivalent of gonorrhea. There are a few APU equipped netbooks and laptops. CPU performance is better (though not great). iGPU performance is good though. Atom will give you some kind of genital rash. Maybe the next iteration won't be terrible.

I always wondered why I felt 'unclean' after using an Atom-based system. I guess I need to head to the doctor now. :(

Back