intel/amd motherboard differences?

JamesL

Gawd
Other than sli/xfire support, socket type, and other factors that deal with raw performance(speed), is there any difference?

My dad wants me to put together a HTPC...
I was thinking a asus M3A78-EM and a Athlon 64 X2 7750 would be perfect,
onboard hdmi/spdif support, low psu requirements, microATX, and CHEAP!

But... my dad says he had problems and issues with "AMD computers" and wants a "Intel computer".

I'm thoroughly convinced that he had issues because it was a old/crappy.. relatively early generation laptop.. and not because it was amd-based.

Is there any differences in say driver support, stability, etc?

Well the mATX chipsets for AMD are better than mATX chipsets for Intel in terms of offloading HD decoding leading for lower CPU usage.

However IIRC, the onboard RAID controllers on Intel chipset mobos are faster than all available onboard RAID controllers for AMD.

OH and I recommend switching to a mobo based on the 8200 chipset since the 8200 chipset supports 7.1 LPCM audio through HDMI whereas that Asus 780G mobo only suports 2.1 audio through HDMI.
$75 - Asus M3N78-VM GeForce 8200 HDMI mATX Motherboard

As far as driver support and stability, they're about the same.

But... my dad says he had problems and issues with "AMD computers" and wants a "Intel computer".
Your dad probably doesn't know anything and is a bad consumer. I have met people that basically said "I had problems with company X's product, I will never buy another product from company X again." The correct response would be "Product X was shit. I will never buy product X again." And sometimes it isn't even the product's fault that something went wrong. It was because of something the consumer did...anyway, you get the idea. People are stupid. I wouldn't pay much attention to what people say.

The amd platform especially at a low cost for a HTPC solution is a great platform and I feel for video decoding offers additional benefits and performance not offered by the intel counterpart ( the x4500 ). I have personally tried both solutions and even completed full bluray decoding without issues. If you currently are also looking for win 7 support which is awesome for HTPC due its support for qam tuning and other media center benefits I would chose ati due to they already have win 7 drivers. Both boards noted below would make a great platform choice regardless of which you choose.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131384

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131336

in all honesty if its an htpc id look for something that is a far lower wattage processor.. theres no reason to through a 7750 in an HTPC..

and i agree as well with the 8200/8300 or the 790GX.. both support 7.1 LPCM through dvi to hdmi

Stability-wise Intel mobo's with Intel chipset are hard to beat.

Well the mATX chipsets for AMD are better than mATX chipsets for Intel in terms of offloading HD decoding leading for lower CPU usage.

However IIRC, the onboard RAID controllers on Intel chipset mobos are faster than all available onboard RAID controllers for AMD.

OH and I recommend switching to a mobo based on the 8200 chipset since the 8200 chipset supports 7.1 LPCM audio through HDMI whereas that Asus 780G mobo only suports 2.1 audio through HDMI.
$75 - Asus M3N78-VM GeForce 8200 HDMI mATX Motherboard

As far as driver support and stability, they're about the same.

Good advice.

Back