Intel Almost Halves Core i7-950 Prices

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
DigiTimes, citing anonymous industry sources, claims that Intel is cutting Core i7-950 prices almost in half.

Intel recently dropped the price of its quad-core Core i7-950 processors to US$294 from US$562 to defend from AMD's recent price cuts for its quad-core Athlon II X4 640 CPU from US$122 to US$99, according to sources from motherboard makers.
 
To defend against Athlon procs?

Dont get me wrong, I love my trusty little Athlon but if I could afford $300 for a cpu, an Athlon wouldnt even be on my shopping list!
 
To defend against Athlon procs?

Dont get me wrong, I love my trusty little Athlon but if I could afford $300 for a cpu, an Athlon wouldnt even be on my shopping list!

Considering that the only consumer AMD CPU close to that price range is the Phenom II X6 1090T BE, your short list for AMD really would be a short list LOL.
 
Now drop the price on the i7 970 please, and I'll buy one.
 
10 bux intel has intel on what bulldozer's proc capabilities are...

industrial espionage , normal...
 
Intel a bit worried over Bulldozer? Maybe?

I doubt it. Intel, right now, is so far ahead of the curve in performance. Price? Well, that's another story. AMD is kicking it price wise. If Intel trods Sandy Bridge overclocking then my next platform will likely be AMD. But, for now, I'm getting another 950. Got a second computer to put together.
 
Now is a bad time to buy PC's with the AMD 6000 series video cards coming out in October. And New CPU's from both Intel and AMD coming out in Q4 this year and Q1 next year. Expect many price drops for the old and lots of new product. i am holding off my PC purchase until I can get my hands on a system with (2) 6770's crossfire. :D It looks like the refresh is going to give a 30% speed increase.
 
If Microcenter sells this for 225$ish I'll have to jump on it. 23x multiplier? That's a sexy 4.6Ghz at 200BLCK. 5.06 at 220 and 5.5 at 240. Some seriously sexy overclocking numbers.
 
Yeah, try dropping the rest of the line. I'm still rocking my last gen quad core, and it'll be a good while before I can afford to upgrade unless AMD gets competitive real quick-like. Take into account the high mobo prices for core i7 chip and what it would cost me to move to DDR3 and the picture gets even more depressing.
 
The price is still to steep for me to justify the upgrade to an i7 platform from my Core2Quad. As much as I want even more performance etc, I think a better buy for me would be an SSD for a boot drive. I just don't see how much faster I need windows and my e-mail to run at this point.
 
10 bux intel has intel on what bulldozer's proc capabilities are...

industrial espionage , normal...

It's not that far from the AMD HQ in Sunnyvale to the Intel HQ in Santa Clara.

Head east on Duanne
Make a left onto Lawrence Expy
Merge onto 101 south
Exit at San Thomas / Montague
Head north on Montague Expy
Make a left at Big Blue
Park the car

Maybe 3 miles...
 
Newegg has the i7 950 for $299 and the 930 for $289... I wonder which I should get?!
 
YEP! Newegg finally dropped the price. I'm giddy, time to buy@!#@!#
 
Heck yes, my friend might need a Corei7 950 instead of his stock 920 because he has a debranded HP pc. Then his min FPS in games would increase.
 
I doubt it. Intel, right now, is so far ahead of the curve in performance. Price? Well, that's another story. AMD is kicking it price wise. If Intel trods Sandy Bridge overclocking then my next platform will likely be AMD. But, for now, I'm getting another 950. Got a second computer to put together.

Remember, it wasn't ALL that long ago these roles were reversed. AMD was kicking some serious intel-butt performance wise during the Pentium 4 days. The roles could reverse again.
 
Zarathustra[H];1036122927 said:
Remember, it wasn't ALL that long ago these roles were reversed. AMD was kicking some serious intel-butt performance wise during the Pentium 4 days. The roles could reverse again.

Anything is possible, but I can't see anyone catching Intel any longer in the x86 space. They're way too far ahead in engineering, and they fab their own stuff. It's not impossible, but I think it really unlikely.

Funny thing is that AMD commanded a good price when they were on top too. Not as much margin as Intel, but they weren't cheap. I see that even now in their 5xxx series cards. Guess no matter who you are you get to charge what you want when your on top. :(
 
Zarathustra[H];1036122927 said:
Remember, it wasn't ALL that long ago these roles were reversed. AMD was kicking some serious intel-butt performance wise during the Pentium 4 days.
...and then the Dell payola scheme happened. Intel strategy was a success. While they broke laws, they managed to starve out their competitors long enough to catch up.
 
I payed 199 for this i5 750. That is a pretty good deal for that i7 I guess. I don't see how they are trying to compete with AMD though. As far as I'm concerned, AMD better deliver a shocker real soon. Right now they are playing catch up. I don't see anyone shopping for a $100 CPU, suddenly having a change of heart and spending another $200 on a CPU that requires a more expensive board also.

I haven't really seen any benchmarks that mean anything comparing the newer cheaper i5 and i3 chips to the similar priced AMD chips. One would think that that is where the battle is.

I damned sure wouldn't spend Intel money for a server when I could get a 6 core AMD that would probably do a better job.

I think they just have tons of these because they where at a bad price point. Now they are trying to stir up some interest, and $300 is still too high for that if you ask me.
 
grrrr... I just bought and i7 930 for a friends computer. It's still being shipped from Newegg. I wonder if I can swap them.
 
...and then the Dell payola scheme happened. Intel strategy was a success. While they broke laws, they managed to starve out their competitors long enough to catch up.

damn, thats some dirty tactics.
 
Are any of the quad core AM3 processors on Newegg compatible with AM2 motherboards? How do I tell which ones are?
 
Oh, and as always, just check the CPU support list for your mobo, takes the guess work out of it if it's just listed there in black and white.
 
So now the i7-960 becomes the completely pointless chip. Still, $299 for the i7-950 is a pretty nice deal.
 
Yup, ordered one yesterday through amazon/buy.com and my price alert came from newegg this morning for $8 less.
 
Thats nice, I bought my 950 for like $700 Australian dollars back then, but I just sold it and got myself a 970. I thought the 960 replaced the 950 and the 950 was EOL, because here in Australia once the 960 came out the 950 was gone, but then again, since Intel cut their prices the 950 has been relisted again and 930 being discontinued.
 
I wonder if microcenter will drop their 930 prices or not.
I'm just about to pull the trigger on a new PC, and I've got the 930 on my list.
 
Back
Top