Intel 12900K benchmarks leaked

https://www.forbes.com/sites/antony...core-i9-12900k-with-16-cores/?sh=2a706a1055f5
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/leaked-intel-12900k-benchmark-outperforms-amd-5950x/

Looks like Oct could be a fun time for HEDT as these new Intel parts should be coming out around the same time as the new Threadrippers are expected, so it's going to come down to platform features it seems.
When is Intel going to release a true HEDT replacement though?
New threadrippers are supposed to be coming next month?

It would be nice if (Alder Lake) is to Ryzen as was Conroe was to Althon64. ;-)

When is Intel going to release a true HEDT replacement though?
New threadrippers are supposed to be coming next month?

AMD is supposedly announcing Threadrippers next month with a likely shipping date in Oct, unless they don't in which case I may have to settle for a Zen 2 based one which I don't want to do but I can't put off the project much longer.

My existing workstation is falling apart not to mention too hot and noisy, I need something that I can do my work from but also restore backups to, to test they are valid for one but also work as an air-gapped backup in the event of a crypto attack. The new servers upstairs are too different from my workstation for it to be a viable test and the backup restores fail because of architectural differences and not because of any other possible reasons at this stage.

Any of the new Xeon-W's or Threadrippers will do nicely for that, as its mostly storage speeds that are going to be the deciding factor for me

3970X is great still and if you need the lanes and memory there's Threadripper Pro. The Sage board is quite the show in that regard. I would be interested in Zen3 based Threadripper Pros in 32 core flavor personally. I just build a 5950 system around a Gigabyte Aorus Master with PBO enabled and it's a beast. 128GB DDR4 3200 without any issues whatsoever. It's literally silent aside from 3090 squealing in certain apps. :)

One thing's for sure, Intel cannot keep Xeon W prices in the stratosphere with AMD doing its thing.

3970X is great still and if you need the lanes and memory there's Threadripper Pro. The Sage board is quite the show in that regard. I would be interested in Zen3 based Threadripper Pros in 32 core flavor personally. I just build a 5950 system around a Gigabyte Aorus Master with PBO enabled and it's a beast. 128GB DDR4 3200 without any issues whatsoever. It's literally silent aside from 3090 squealing in certain apps. :)

One thing's for sure, Intel cannot keep Xeon W prices in the stratosphere with AMD doing its thing.
The Xeon's aren't terribly priced once you work the entire platform in there, but they could stand to come down a little bit. But finding a Threadripper system is hard there aren't a lot of prebuilt options there unlike the Xeons and accounting hates when we custom build our machines and during our audits items with RGB or Gaming in the title cause red flags that need to be answered for and are just to be avoided so that sadly really limits the options for us on that front. Honestly, while Intel's naming conventions are terrible for humans, they are more than fine for the auditors and sadly actually make the price increase worth it from simply not having to deal with the red tape.

I do have some numbers for the Lenovo TR Pro systems and I have some competing quotes from Dell for a Xeon based one, just haven't moved on either yet because we could limp along and the market was just not in a good place for either really, but the limp has turned into a crawl and necessity may force the decision earlier than not.

Absolutely correct in corporate world. Lenovo has released TR Pro workstations to address this. Prices are high of course.
Which bring them in line with the Xeon quotes, so honestly price/performance wise they are pretty close like $500 cad difference between the two units, and that difference mostly comes down to the support options, yes the Xeon is the more expensive one but it also has better warranty and support which all else being equal is worth the extra $$$

Does not fully feel like HEDT written like that but, I wonder if we would translate DDR5 bandwidth and PCI-express 5 bandwidth into today the equivalent channel-pci 4.0 lane needed to match it, if it would not feel in between the threadripper non pro than a regular current mainstream consumer.

Say if it has 20 pcie 5.0 lane (that like having 40x Pci-express 4.0 lane bandwidth wise, that double your regular big current consumer PC).

if the DDR5-6400 overclock is possible and work, could end up similar to current system with 4 memory channel but running at 3200 and so on.

Memory capacity will also feel like a threadripper non pro I imagine, with DDR5 possible density.

Does not fully feel like HEDT written like that but, I wonder if we would translate DDR5 bandwidth and PCI-express 5 bandwidth into today the equivalent channel-pci 4.0 lane needed to match it, if it would not feel in between the threadripper non pro than a regular current mainstream consumer.

Say if it has 20 pcie 5.0 lane (that like having 40x Pci-express 4.0 lane bandwidth wise, that double your regular big current consumer PC).

if the DDR5-6400 overclock is possible and work, could end up similar to current system with 4 memory channel but running at 3200 and so on.

Memory capacity will also feel like a threadripper non pro I imagine, with DDR5 possible density.
Samsung has announced their 512GB, DDR5 modules. so yeah memory density is gonna be insane.
https://news.samsung.com/global/sam...dth-intensive-advanced-computing-applications
But yeah while not a true HEDT product if it can leverage DDR5 and PCIE5 to get the platform to a place that is on par with the Threadripper's which really are the gold standard for what a HEDT platform should be at this point, then it would be good enough or at least provide me more options than my current Threadripper ones which are basically limited to Lenovo's TR Pro platforms. I just want options and neither AMD nor Intel are really providing any and I am probably just being hopeful because Intel is probably going to release a beast of a CPU then gimp its lane counts or some crap like that.

Last edited:
I'll be happy with something new that I can purchase end of 2021 / early 2022 something that can play BF2042 ultra at 4K, with a helping of hobbyist data engineering/AI work. My i7-6700 and RX470 is starting to feel it after 4.5 years. At least with 32GB of RAM it can still play Police Quest II pretty well. ; -)

I'll be happy with something new that I can purchase end of 2021 / early 2022 something that can play BF2042 ultra at 4K, with a helping of hobbyist data engineering/AI work. My i7-6700 and RX470 is starting to feel it after 4.5 years. At least with 32GB of RAM it can still play Police Quest II pretty well. ; -)

Lucky. I'd give anything for a RX470.

I don't think the 5950X is going to be the competition for Alder Lake. Warhol may be cancelled, but I doubt AMD will go 2 years between CPU releases. We might see the Zen 3 with 3D cache that Su showed off at Computex.

This isnt HEDT. HEDT right now is Basin Falls(x299) and Q2 2022 is when its replacement shows up on the roadmap which is Sapphire Rapids.

1627081739793.png

Intel's 12th gen is shaping up to be like IBMs PowerPC G5, a steaming turd, literally.

For all of the claims of being efficient, it has almost double the TDP as 11th gen parts, and makes the old Paxville MP Xeons look power efficient.

Not even the supposedly lower end i5-12600k is exempt from the out of control TDP. At 228W, it's even higher than the FX-9500 series that AMD released before Ryzen. They're going to have a hard time getting OEMs and consumers on board.

"Yeah, we're the fastest, but at minimum you'll need a 480mm radiator for our lowest end offering, and probably two for our highest end, and don't forget to have a well air-conditioned room to avoid sauna like conditions."

waiting on real world HEVC encoding benchmarks from third parties

Last edited:
So… $1100 or $1200? Trying to figure out how high intel is going to price this thing.

I don't think it's going to be out in the wild for purchase 9 months after launch due to scalpers and short supplies and Jay Two Cents and Linus reviews Hardware Unboxed. The 10900K was the same way for about 6 months. It it's 1K I won't buy one for sure I might get the I7 version which hopefully will be cheaper.

Last edited:
That RX470 is your bottleneck for 4K gaming, not the 6700k. The 6700K can benchmark at 4K right up there with the best of the modern CPUs — CPUs are not the current gaming bottleneck.
That’s why I just bought a 6950x and a 3080 instead of a full platform update.

x99 still has life in it yet.

you can buy a 6950x for as little as $300 on eBay.

10 core/20 thread - 4.2Ghz on all cores with my O/C.

These use the small / big core logic and are NOT HEDT indeed. They're consumer parts, just with some high core counts.

As for Xeon, going for the retail pricing they're a rip off right now. Has been that way for long, the cheaper counterparts like Bronze, only give you some 4-8 cores and the more expensive stuff get shredded by Zen. The only time they're worth it is when they're cheap off Ebay, but then you're mostly buying illegal engineering samples or such.

So… $1100 or $1200? Trying to figure out how high intel is going to price this thing.

Yeah, I'm surprised that Intel is making this memory transition on mainstream platform this time. If all they can do is barely beat Zen 3, with expensive ass ddr5, it's going to be just as disappointing as x79 was

Frost do me a favor if you don't mind. Run this V-Ray benchmark (or anyone for that matter) for me and share me your score. Also provide me your full specs and if you've done any overclocking to it. Thanks!

I just did that bench and got 14363. It's a 3900X around 4.4 with 3600 Ballistix 2x16 at CL15. Checked the site and my score seems to beat other 3900's, not sure how well it compares to the rest.

nothing there yo
I dunno, maybe the single image is too big?

Let's try this again.

v-ray.PNG
cpu-z1.PNG
cpu-z2.PNG
cpu-z3.PNG
hwinfo64.PNG

Everything is stock just PBO engaged in BIOS.
Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master
AMD Ryzen 5950X
Teamgroup 64GB kit TLZGD464G3200H x2
WD 850 Black 2TB SSD
Asus Strix 3090 stock BIOS and cooler
Deep Cool CASTLE 360EX 360mm AIO
EVGA 1600W T2 PSU (Superflower)

BIOS settings for CPU fan, AIO pump, and Chipset set manually for near silent operation in all but hottest conditions.
Some coil whine is present on benchmarks which is normal.
In game menus where drawing rate goes to 11.5 (thousands of fps) it screams like a rabbit getting caught by a burmese python! ;-)
Overall it's a good system. It would be even better if GPU prices didn't make my wallet scream like described above. So is life.

Last edited:
View attachment 378230

This is with the overclock off (it's summer, yo, gets HOT). Can also run on a 10980 if you need that for some reason...?
I'm actually kinda shocked how close the 5950x's are to your 24 core threadripper. But I'm well aware this is still a simulation and in real world renders the times will always be different depending on the scene. Thanks for the follow-up though.

I'm actually kinda shocked how close the 5950x's are to your 24 core threadripper. But I'm well aware this is still a simulation and in real world renders the times will always be different depending on the scene. Thanks for the follow-up though.
Zen 3 vs 2. Looks like it cares more about speed than threads. I’m waiting for the new Threadripper, but I’m not sure I’ll upgrade personally.
Edit - overclocked is about 4.4 all core. On air. It really puts out heat.

Zen 3 vs 2. Looks like it cares more about speed than threads. I’m waiting for the new Threadripper, but I’m not sure I’ll upgrade personally.
Edit - overclocked is about 4.4 all core. On air. It really puts out heat.

It depends on how much Microcenter wants to push them for me. My i7-3930k is still holding things down as a workstation, it'll be nice to finally upgrade it to a modern HEDT
system and be able to have more than 64GB of ram. But most of my real work is done on a Macbook Pro anyway.

It depends on how much Microcenter wants to push them for me. My i7-3930k is still holding things down as a workstation, it'll be nice to finally upgrade it to a modern HEDT
system and be able to have more than 64GB of ram. But most of my real work is done on a Macbook Pro anyway.
I miss the $300 off (now $100) discount on TR40 combos last year!

Got mine during a deal for sure. Same with my 10980. Love it, and agreed. Right sale…? I’d do it. Otherwise, my 3960 is enough- just wish I could fix the shutdown issue (it won’t turn off 😂)

Back