Intel 10 nm Logic Process Analysis (Cannon Lake)

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The folks over at Tech Insights have found the Cannon-Lake 10nm logic process and break down some of the innovation it brings to us. However, they aren't telling us why Intel is having so much trouble scaling their process up and bringing a complete lineup of 10nm processors to market. Regardless, the logic of the CL chip is pretty cool and hopefully Intel will work the fab issues out in the near future.

Deepest scaled pitches of current 10 nm and upcoming 7 nm technologies

First Co metallization and Ru usage in BEOL

New self-aligned patterning schemes at contact and BEOL

1H 2020 for volume is my bet, you heard it here first. Not insider information, just familiarity with how their development process works: compartmentalization (no leveraging of tribal knowledge) and burning out people

so they are embedding russians directly into their CPU's now?? ;>)
Rubidium. Rubidium and Cobalt are the lead candidates for replacing copper in the lowest (finest pitch) metal layers.
BEOL is Back End Of Line: the part of the fab process where the metal layers are formed, after the transistors have been laid down.

so, one of your threads says how some is saying Intel is in cover up mode and the comments [H]'ers are making say 10nm will never work and here in this thread 10nm is a cool thing and maybe on the horizon.

I'm confused now so please enlighten me as to what's really what ...

PS: I thought this comment fit right in: "In theory, practice is the same as theory, but in practice, it's not..."

Rubidium and Cobalt are the lead candidates for replacing copper in the lowest (finest pitch) metal layers.

Cobalt is radioactive, is it not or just Cobalt-60?

so, one of your threads says how some is saying Intel is in cover up mode and the comments [H]'ers are making say 10nm will never work and here in this thread 10nm is a cool thing and maybe on the horizon.

PS: I thought this comment fit right in: "In theory, practice is the same as theory, but in practice, it's not..."

Really he is just providing news articles from different perspectives and it is up to you to read them and decide for yourself what the truth is.

Last edited:
Rubidium and Cobalt are the lead candidates for replacing copper in the lowest (finest pitch) metal layers.
What is really what is he is providing news articles from different perspectives and it is up to you to read them and decide for yourself what the truth is.

cool :cool:

PS: "What is really what is he is ..." fits right in too ;)

don't take what I'm saying too seriously, just seems to me to be the kind of day it is today (people have different perspectives and they change on any given day)

I suppose INTC can claim whatever they want about the specs of the 10nm saying it is x better density or pitch etc, but until it is "on the shelf" it is all white noise, also they state 2.7x over 14nm, but WHICH 14nm because how many generations have THEY used 14nm (like 3?) they could very well take the "worst" of these 3 or whatever and throw this number out there to make it look "really good" to investors/board members, but, if compared to the "best" of their 14nm who is to say it is only 1.10x better density (i.e not significantly better, at least it would not be enough to sing and dance about it)

I suppose such is the world we live in, all cloaks daggers and behind closed doors BS just to make or prevent $$$$$$$$$

This is exactly why we all cannot have nice things :LOL:

Cobalt is radioactive, is it not or just Cobalt-60?
Frorm Wikipedia's Cobalt entry:

59Co is the only stable cobalt isotope and the only isotope that exists naturally on Earth. Twenty-two radioisotopes have been characterized; the most stable, 60Co has a half-life of 5.2714 years, and 57Co has a half-life of 271.8 days, 56Co a half-life of 77.27 days, and 58Co a half-life of 70.86 days. All the other radioactive isotopes of cobalt have half-lives shorter than 18 hours, and in most cases shorter than 1 second. This element also has 4 meta states, all of which have half-lives shorter than 15 minutes.​

cool :cool:

PS: "What is really what is he is ..." fits right in too ;)

don't take what I'm saying too seriously, just seems to me to be the kind of day it is today (people have different perspectives and they change on any given day)

Fixed it. I was interrupted in the middle of posting and I guess I forgot where I started and left off heh.

|10nm> = |good-shape> + |bad-shape>

Back