Intel 10-Core Skylake-X Core i9 7900X: 4GHz Base Clock, 4.5GHz Turbo Boost

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Details gleaned from SiSoftware Sandra suggest that the 10-core Skylake-X will run at significantly higher speeds (4GHz base, 4.5 GHz Turbo Boost) than what was theorized by previous reports (3.30GHz base, 4.30GHz Turbo Boost). Other specs include 14,080KB (13.75 MB) of shared L3 cache, 1MB L2 cache per core (for a total of 10MB), as well as a 175W TDP. Pretty shallow, but I may get one for my next build just because I like the name.

While initial reports pegged this CPU at as running at clock speeds of 3.30 GHz base and with 4.30 GHz Turbo Boost, it would seem Intel's release silicon will leverage much higher stock speeds, with the reported values on this SiSoft report being a staggering 4.0 GHz base, and 4.5 GHz Turbo Boost. These are extremely high clock speeds for a ten-core part, but all the other details about the Core i9 7900X check out: there are 14,080 KB (13.75 MB) of shared L3 cache, 1 MB L2 cache per core (for a total of 10 MB), as well as a 175 W TDP.

Hmmm, always love this kind of stuff but guessing I'll wait it out at least another year a Kaby Lake X.

It's nice to start feeling excited for CPU releases again. My tech boner has been pleasantly plump the past few months.

Yup, awesome new toys to tease the techno geeks only to be priced for the 2%.

but do we actually need this???

my 5280k @ 4.5 is still too much.

Then don't upgrade.

My 2600K @ 4.6 is feeling long in the tooth at some things.

These latest Intel CPU's have great longevity. But, eventually people will upgrade. This is for the enthusiast people. They want the higher end shit. It might not make sense for you to upgrade. For me it makes more sense. For someone with a Core2Quad, it makes a ton of sense. Or for the enthusiast that wants the biggest and best with no real reason to upgrade other than the e-peen (which, if I had more disposable income, I'd be that guy).

All I need to know is how much now. I really wanted to go AMD but seriously stock 4GHZ on 10 cores with a boost (hopefully with all 10 cores) to 4.5Ghz, is exactly what I was looking for to be in my next rig.

How the @#%@# do you cool 175Watts TDP? I don't even think some of the big 280mm water coolers out there can handle this much heat.

Does anyone need an affordable street car that runs 12 seconds 1/4s from the factory?

Yes we fucking need this. Now go get in your Prius and enjoy your drive to work.

lol. Affordable.

I drive a black smoke spewing diesel truck, thank you very much. That does a 14 sec 1/4mile....
Then why the hell would you question why someone needs this? I am sure there are more people in the word asking why you need a black smoke spewing truck (and I am sure that it sounds like a stupid question when people ask you WHY).

Do any of us really NEED any of this stuff? Fuck no, but options are good.

They have to be that much faster to outpace Ryzen. The only CPU's I see from Intel beating Ryzen in games are the ones that are clocked 1.5-2ghz higher.

Coming soon for the low low price of $999.

OTOH, can I drop it into my Z170 board? That'd be interesting... if I won the lottery.

Coming soon for the low low price of $999.

OTOH, can I drop it into my Z170 board? That'd be interesting... if I won the lottery.

For $1k I'd think about it, I could keep everything else I have except motherboard and maybe a new cooler if I can't get a bracket for my current one.

For $1k I'd think about it, I could keep everything else I have except motherboard and maybe a new cooler if I can't get a bracket for my current one.

I read an article a few days ago that stated the i9's did not require an adapter for current coolers.

tumblr_moe867jJWD1rvb9sdo1_500.gif

I think its crazy we can still use coolers from a decade ago.

I just bought this Corsair AIO water cooler last summer. Not really sure how long those have been around. I still have an older model in my old i7-980x rig that I powered up a couple of months ago and it was still humming along. That cooler and setup are about 7 years old now. Good stuff does last a long time these days.

I just bought this Corsair AIO water cooler last summer. Not really sure how long those have been around. I still have an older model in my old i7-980x rig that I powered up a couple of months ago and it was still humming along. That cooler and setup are about 7 years old now. Good stuff does last a long time these days.

I have one of the original H100 coolers. I bought it super cheap ($40) refurbished in 2011, I believe.. Has to be the longest cooler I have used.

I drive a black smoke spewing diesel truck, thank you very much. That does a 14 sec 1/4mile....

Use to also, 2000 Dodge dually 4x4 1999 Ford Superduty 7.3 2004 Dodge 4x4 all rolled coal.. Then I wised up and realized what damage I was doing to the environment now all three are bone stock other than the transmissions and gauges..

What it did to my lungs I will never get back!

It will probably be expensive, but if it winds up being affordable, I'm interested.

I've always said I prefer fewer higher clocked cores to more lower clocked cores, but if the cores are clocked high, I don't mind all the cores I can get.

Looks interesting!

Thing is, my Sandy-E [email protected] keeps on trucking and performing well. Maybe I'll just hold off for a Ryzen refresh. I'd like a true workstation part (more PCIe lanes) with higher clocks.

They'll probably be charging $1500 for it. They could triple their profits for the entire line if they sold this one for $800 and adjusted all the others accordingly, simply because they'd sell more, but they wouldn't listen to that. Their monopoly just screws us all over.

Does anyone need an affordable street car that runs 12 seconds 1/4s from the factory?
Having lived in Toronto, I get a whole different mental image when you say street car ;) (I would like to see one do 12s in a 1/4 mile)

On to the topic: 2k easy :) unless they're scared of Ryzen

Yeah, this will not be a cheap chip. 10 cores at that speed is really impressive even at the listed TDP. Do they have them all on one die without the need for a ring bus?

They'll probably be charging $1500 for it. They could triple their profits for the entire line if they sold this one for $800 and adjusted all the others accordingly, simply because they'd sell more, but they wouldn't listen to that. Their monopoly just screws us all over.

For an Extreme i9? I'd be surprised if it goes under $2k. For $1500 or under, yeah, I'd be upgrading in a second.

How the @#%@# do you cool 175Watts TDP? I don't even think some of the big 280mm water coolers out there can handle this much heat.

I think a decent block and radiator setup will deal with 150w per 120mm of radiator. How do you think you can get a video card and CPU in the same loop? Especially when you get those generations like the GTX280's... 240w gpu + 200w ish cpu is a lot to cool....

For an Extreme i9? I'd be surprised if it goes under $2k. For $1500 or under, yeah, I'd be upgrading in a second.

I don't see this going for more than the 6950x but $1k is probably too hopeful. $1500 feels about right to me. But maybe Intel will surprise with $1k.

Look at the last series prices. intels 10 core Core i7-6950X is going for $1650. the 8 core 6900k is $1050.

you think a new 10 core part that is a whole GHZ faster than 6950x is going to be $1000? the 6900K is a K part, not X and its 1050.

lots of wishful thinking going on here.

That clockspeed difference is a game-maker. What's it cost? The other good thing is that as a Skylake, you're not locked into Windows 10 on it either.

Back