• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Instant power off when changing CPU/RAM settings?

Damar

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 20, 2004
Messages
4,614
So yesterday I had been using the PC off and on (see sig), and had shut it down in the early evening. Later on I went to turn it back on, and all I got when I hit the power button was a qiuck flash of the internal lights and no power up.

Eventually I use the clear CMOS button and the machine powers up fine again. However, if I make any changes to the CPU or RAM speeds at all above default BIOS settings, the machine instantly powers down when I try to save the settings and I end up needing to clear the CMOS again to be able to boot.

This happens with both the 0402 or 0901 bios's using either of the onboard BIOS chips.

If I leave everything at stock the machine runs fine and works as usual, just much slower. I had been running at 3.8Ghz at stock voltage and my peak temps were never above the low to mid 60's except very rarely if the room temp was higher. This machine has been rock solid stable from day 1 without even a minor hiccup until last night.

I'm at a loss and ASUS hasn't responded yet and I somehow don't expect them to.

I'm trying to decide which route to go. Try for RMA on the MB, try some other RAM, or swap out the power supply (though I really am doubting it's this).

Anyone else seen anything similar? The instant power off when I make any speed change to the CPU/RAM has me the most concerned. The RAM is rated at 1600 but if I set it for anything over 1066 (BIOS default) then save the BIOS it instantly powers off even if I don't change the CPU speed.

Sorry for the longish post and the babble, I'm in the middle of swapping out a largish aquarium in our kitchen and its not going smoothly so I'm working on very little sleep and my mind isn't working on all cylinders atm.

Thanks it advance for any suggestions/ideas!
 
As an update, the problem still exists and I'm still baffled as to the cause.

Setting either the ram or the cpu above stock settings (even just a hair), then trying to save the BIOS causes an immediate system power off, requiring a CMOS reset to recover.

This is with either onboard BIOS, one at version 0401 and one at 0901.

ASUS never got back to me (not surprising really) and I'm stumped. Whats the point in having a board meant for OC'ing if I can't OC? Prior to this problem this machine was happily running at 3.8Ghz without a care for months, and temps were always good.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
 
Did you try bumping up the voltage when you changed settings?
 
Back
Top