Installing windows: it won't see my drives

Doorbasher

n00b
I've recently rebuilt my machine, and one of the things I wanted to do was to set up a RAID array with my two 160GB SATA drives. OK, go through all the array setup and everything, and then I go to install Win2k on it. Hit F6 to tell it about the RAID setup, load the drivers I got from my mobo manufacturer (eVGA, board is an NF41, Jetway rebrand), everything seems OK. Then I tell it to go, and it says I have no hard drive in my machine. Try again. Nope. Try drivers from nVidia instead of mobo guys. Nope. Try some random website's hacked txtsetup.oem, which they said caused problems when loading from a floppy due to something being missing. No. Rebuild the array, try again. No. What's going on here? I haven't found anything on this ia google. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Make sure to check your bios, to ensure that your raid controller is one of your boot devices. Windows will ignore devices that are not in the boot list. What the settings look like will be unique to your computer, and depending on your bios, it may even be refered to as if it were a scsi controller.

The motherboard doesn't differentiate between SATA/SCSI/RAID and vanilla IDE in the boot order, the BIOS has optios for "first boot device", second, third, and try other devices. The options are just "removable", "CDROM", "HDD", "LAN", "Disable". There is a seperate section where you can rearrange the priority of the hard drives in the boot order, which has only one possible setting with just the RAID array, and had no effect whenI hooked up some ATA 120s. Oh, I also checked the "set as boot" setting in the RAID setup, and it was marked as a boot drive.

And yes, those were the drivers I was using. (The 2000 ones). I tried the same folder from the big 30-some-odd MB driver bundle from nVidia's website, with no change in the results.

Back