installing win 7 from usb. not working

decap

Limp Gawd
ive been having issues installing win 7 on my ssd for some time now
my win 7 cd is apparently broken..so i copied the iso to a usb and the usb is set as bootable. bios settings correct etc.
When i turn the computer on i get the msg insert boot device then press any key etc. its not detecting or booting from the usb
i believe its usb 2.0 too so drivers shouldnt be much of an issue?

Did you bump the USB drive up to first boot setting in BIOS? If you did then I would imagine the iso is bad or it didn't copy to the drive properly. What motherboard is it?

When you mean you copied the ISO file to the USB drive, do you mean you just literally copy and paste the ISO file to the USB drive?

If you did then it's not going to work... you need to use some tool to make a bootable USB drive from your ISO file.

I just did a google and came up with this: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

Never tried it but if it doesn't work just google something else similar.

ive been having issues installing win 7 on my ssd for some time now
my win 7 cd is apparently broken..so i copied the iso to a usb and the usb is set as bootable. bios settings correct etc.
When i turn the computer on i get the msg insert boot device then press any key etc. its not detecting or booting from the usb
i believe its usb 2.0 too so drivers shouldnt be much of an issue?

Hi, decap,

Did you follow the Sticky Guide in the Operating System Forum? If you didn't you might want to give that a try.

Chuklr

When you mean you copied the ISO file to the USB drive, do you mean you just literally copy and paste the ISO file to the USB drive?

If you did then it's not going to work... you need to use some tool to make a bootable USB drive from your ISO file.

I just did a google and came up with this: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool/3000-18513_4-10972600.html

Never tried it but if it doesn't work just google something else similar.

no i used that tool

Are you booting from USB2? I have tried using it on a usb3, and it didn't work out too well.

What is your MB....and I don't want to hear "not to old".

In the past some USB drives can not be made bootable. What is your USB drive?

On my asus motherboard, I had to set "Hard Disk Priority" to my usb drive, and then set the usb drive first under the boot setting. Otherwise I couldn't boot from my usb drive. Immediately after the first restart during the windows 7 installation, I reverted my hard drive back to the #1 setting under "Hard Disk priority" and then let windows continue the boot process and finish installing windows.

1. Make sure the USB thumbdrive / memory stick is formatted NTFS.
2. Make SURE you are copying ALL of the files from the Windows 7 install DVD to the USB thumbdrive / memory stick. This includes hidden and system files.

In Windows File Explorer go to Organize -> Folder and Search Options and then click the 'View' tab on the window that comes up. Under advanced settings make SURE the following are ticked:

'Show Hidden Files and Folders'

Make sure the following are UNTICKED:

'Hide extensions for known files'
'Hide protected operating system files'

Now click Apply and close the window.

NOW try extracting that Windows 7 ISO to a directory on your hard drive, and then copying all the files from that directory to the USB thumbdrive you want to install from.

Back