Installing Vista (a second time)

complete

Weaksauce
I am installing a new Operating System on my computer for a varety of reasons that I have mentioned in other discussion threads. I am going to do this on a new hard drive and I plan on making my current hard drive a "D" drive.

I wonder what sort of preparations I should make and I wonder what steps I should talke to do this.

I know that when you install a new OS, it wipes the hard drive clean. Will it do this only on the C drive? Or if I have both hard drives hooked up, will it do it on both hard drives?

If you do a clean installation, it will format the HDD where the OS is going to be installed on, anyway.
I'm sure that you know how to navigate through the installation process, where it asks you on what HDD / partition to install Windows.
And the HDDS are all showing up in BIOS, right ?
Basically it's a very good idea to have an OS on a seperate HDD to the one where you store your main data.

I for myself can't wait for SSDs to become more reasonable priced.
That would be a major upgrade for me - just for the OS (Windows 7).

I wonder what sort of preparations I should make and I wonder what steps I should talke to do this.
Make sure you set the new hard drive to have boot priority over the old drive in the BIOS before you start the installation.

I know that when you install a new OS, it wipes the hard drive clean. Will it do this only on the C drive? Or if I have both hard drives hooked up, will it do it on both hard drives?
It will not modify any hard drive that has no boot priority.
If you want to be sure (and avoid any mistakes), just disconnect the old hard drives from the motherboard while you install.
After installation is complete, connect the old drives back.

If you want to be sure (and avoid any mistakes), just disconnect the old hard drives from the motherboard while you install.
After installation is complete, connect the old drives back.

+1 to this

Back