Installing things in Linux

baballin328

Limp Gawd
I am using Ubuntu 7.10 and I am completely new to linux. I've been having trouble installing the tar.gz packages. I am trying to install packages to make my linux look like OSX. So this is what I do:
In the termial:
daniel@daniel-desktop:~$ cd /home/daniel/Desktop
daniel@daniel-desktop:~/Desktop$ tar -zxvf gdm-osx-theme.tar.gz
osx-theme/screenshot.png
osx-theme/background.jpg
osx-theme/btn1.png
osx-theme/btn1_pressed.png
osx-theme/btn2.png
osx-theme/btn2_pressed.png
osx-theme/btn3.png
osx-theme/btn3_pressed.png
osx-theme/GdmGreeterTheme.desktop
osx-theme/applelinux.xml~
osx-theme/window_shadow.png
osx-theme/osx-theme.xml
osx-theme/GdmGreeterTheme.desktop~
daniel@daniel-desktop:~/Desktop$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
daniel@daniel-desktop:~/Desktop$

When I type make, isn't it supposed to compile it, and then I type make install to install it? But I can't seem to get make to work. An I doing something completely wrong? Sorry for being such a noob lol

Not to sound like a douchebag, but did you even read the output? The tar.gz was pretty much a bunch of .png files. Pictures. You're installing a theme, theres no executable code that needs to be compiled and installed. The creator should have included instructions, but a bunch of png's, a couple xmls and a desktop file should have thrown a flag in your mind.

Anyways move that .tar.gz into your ~/.themes directory, and it might be recognized. If not, open the themes preferences dialog in gnome and doing a drag+drop of the .tar.gz files icon should do the trick.

from the sound of it, its a theme file (im guessing from somewhere like gnome-look.org, or gnome-art.org etc.) what you do is right click on the desktop go to change wallpaper or background or what ever it says, then click on the theme tab and click install at the bottom right and find that file you are talking about and then just follow the rest of the directions on screen.

Hopefully this is what you are talking about. Good luck!

from the sound of it, its a theme file (im guessing from somewhere like gnome-look.org, or gnome-art.org etc.) what you do is right click on the desktop go to change wallpaper or background or what ever it says, then click on the theme tab and click install at the bottom right and find that file you are talking about and then just follow the rest of the directions on screen.

Hopefully this is what you are talking about. Good luck!

It's actually a gdm theme, so in that case you'll open a terminal as root and type "gdm-setup" (without the quotes) and that should launch the the config for the display manager, and you can install and set gdm themes from in there.

Well okay, sorry that was a bad example, but here's another:
daniel@daniel-desktop:~/Desktop$ tar -zxvf avant-window-navigator-0.1.1-2.tar.gz
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/COPYING
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/intltool-extract.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/ChangeLog
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/missing
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/INSTALL
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-app.c
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-bar.c
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-window.c
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-window.h
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/main.c
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-title.h
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-win-manager.c
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-app.h
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-gconf.c
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/Makefile.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-bar.h
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-title.c
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-gconf.h
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/Makefile.am
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-utils.h
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/src/awn-win-manager.h
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/po/
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/po/ChangeLog
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/po/Makefile.in.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/po/en_GB.po
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/po/POTFILES.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/AUTHORS
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/intltool-update.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/ltmain.sh
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/aclocal.m4
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/install-sh
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/avant-preferences/
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/avant-preferences/avant-preferences.in.py
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/avant-preferences/avant-preferences.desktop.in.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/avant-preferences/Makefile.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/avant-preferences/window.glade
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/avant-preferences/Makefile.am
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/Makefile.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/avant-window-navigator-48.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/avant-window-navigator-24.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/avant-window-navigator.desktop.in.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/Makefile.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/avant-window-navigator.svg
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/glow8.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/glow6.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/glow9.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/glow5.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/glow4.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/Makefile.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/glow2.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/glow7.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/Makefile.am
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/glow3.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/active/glow.png
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/Makefile.am
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/data/avant-window-navigator.schemas.in.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/NEWS
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/autogen.sh
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/config.h.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/config.sub
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/configure.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/Makefile.am
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/config.guess
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/intltool-merge.in
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/mkinstalldirs
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/configure
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/README
avant-window-navigator-0.1.1/depcomp
daniel@daniel-desktop:~/Desktop$ make

This is an important clue:
Code:
It's telling you that that make cannot find a Makefile. In this case, it's because you're in the wrong directory. You need to cd into "avant-window-navigator-0.1.1", then run make.

Also you should --not-- be installing programs manually anyway. Use apt-get. It exists for a reason. You should --never-- and I do mean never install a program, outrside of the package manager unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

Here is a guide to install that software properly.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385981

Remember --always-- use the package manager in every case for everything that you do.

Also you should --not-- be installing programs manually anyway. Use apt-get. It exists for a reason. You should --never-- and I do mean never install a program, outrside of the package manager unless you have a specific reason for doing so.

Here is a guide to install that software properly.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=385981

Remember --always-- use the package manager in every case for everything that you do.

This is very important. Always use the package manager when the option exists to do so. Trust me, the package manager is your friend for everything. It's how you will be able to easily receive updates for all of your software and it's also great for being able to keep things from breaking when some types of updates are done.

Thank you so much for that link and thanks for your responses. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there a package for the realtek AC97 drivers?

Your sound isn't working? If it's anything AC97, it should be working out of the box.

Yea, it detects it, but no sound comes out...it detects it as Realtek ALC850 rev 0 (OSS Mixer)

Check a mixer application and make sure things aren't muted or the volume turned down all the way. I've had this problem more than once and have learned to immediately check the mixer and put the settings where I want them.

It's really bad for my surround setup. It likes to have one set of channels turned up so you can hear it but the rest are turned down all the way. I thought the surround wasn't configured correctly when it was just that the other channels were turned down so low, nothing was coming out of the speakers.

I thought those realtek codecs were compatible with the intel AC97 driver. Maybe they aren't after all :confused:

I'm not sure that I can help you out. Could you run this in a terminal and post the output (preferably inside of code tags for readability)?
Code:
sudo lsmod | grep snd

Ah, and SmokeRngs is right, check the mixer settings. It's one of the obvious things that we all forget to check :D

You need a "Makefile" if you're going to run make - make is not some magical file installation tool, it's just frequently used to do so.

In your second case, there's a file called "INSTALL" - maybe THE INSTALL FILE PROVIDES CLUES ON HOW TO INSTALL THE APPLICATION. It looks like the program uses automake, so you'll have to run the configure script to make the makefile so you can run make.

If you're trying to compile something from source like that, you should run the configure script first, which will create your Makefile for you based on your platform.

fire up a terminal, and run alsamixer. Jack up your volume, its probably turned down.

wait do you have no sound at all, or do you have no sound in flash??

Also while we are on sound any one here try out pulseaudio?? I am loving it thus far.

I've heard the latest pulseaudio is very nice, and it looks like its network features would be useful for virtual machines. I tried to install it yesterday, but Gentoo's pulseaudio package is junk right now, so I'm considering rolling my own. Have you tried out the the network stuff yet?

Code:
that reminds me of the Gentoo motto: " if it moves, compile it "
Hell, even if it's dead, compile it. I know some people that still use xmms :p

Sorry baballin328, I feel totally guilty about the threadjack. Really. :D

I turned everything up to 100, went to youtube selected a video, and still no sound

What flash version are you using? The most acceptable flash plugin is Adobe flash (nonfree) 9.x, but even that is a little flaky for me.

Have you at least verified sound outside the browser works correctly?

Code:
dpkg --get-selections flashplugin

or maybe

Code:
dpkg --get-selections | grep flash

Does that output anything?

have you tried switching from OSS to ALSA (or the other way around) in the sound control panel?

Yes I have. I ended up putting my Sound Blaster Live! in and now the sound works, but there is no volume control, I have to adjust the volume from the speaker. I think this is because there is no linux driver for that sound card?

I've heard the latest pulseaudio is very nice, and it looks like its network features would be useful for virtual machines. I tried to install it yesterday, but Gentoo's pulseaudio package is junk right now, so I'm considering rolling my own. Have you tried out the the network stuff yet?

I just tried the network sound works like a charm!! So easy to setup....Though I did find over wireless its really poor sound.

Yes I have. I ended up putting my Sound Blaster Live! in and now the sound works, but there is no volume control, I have to adjust the volume from the speaker. I think this is because there is no linux driver for that sound card?

no thats probably not it, have you tried double clicking on the sound applet and then editing the volume levels??

Yea I have. I slide every slider and changed to all devices, made absolutely no change in volume.

Plug the speakers into a different plug. Mine didn't work in the port that windows used.
(green vs black, etc)

Yeah I did, that didn't work though

That is really weird. I had no trouble with my integrated audio on my Gigabyte DS3. Generally speaking, anything AC97 based should have at least basic stereo functionality I believe.

Did you look deeper into the mixer settings to see if it's trying to output to a digital or to an analog output? I know I've had to fix things like this in Windows before where it was set for digital out and the speakers were using the analog plugs.

The only other thing I would check is to see if the onboard sound is enabled in the BIOS. Sure, it shouldn't even show up if it's not enabled in the BIOS, but it's something else to check and I've seen weirder things happen with computers.

Yup checked everything is analog and its enabled in BIOS. I guess I will have to continue using my card from my main rig (which is BROKEN! :()

Back