Installing 120mm Fan

KillRoy X

Gawd
Didn't think I had to create a thread for installing a fan, but here I am.

Current have the Antec 900 and decided to put the 120mm Fan on the side. Using an existing 120 from older computer. The fan only has a small 3 prong connection that I can't find in the new computer. Not sure what the 3 prong is called.

I also have the 780i EVGA MB. I thnk I see a male counter part to the 3 prong on the MB but can't be certain.

Question is, can I connect directly to the MB if I can't find a male side connection from my existing power supply? (corsair 750tx) Not sure if new 120's have different connections or not. Probably should just buy a new one.

If that is what the fan has, then you can plug it straight into the 3 pin connector on the motherboard which should look like this

See those four connectors along the bottom? Plug the fan into one that looks like that.

You either have a stand 3-pin fan connector or a standard 4-pin Molex connector like on a power supply. Your 780i should have a few 3 pin headers. Consult you manual for the board layout if you don't see them.

OK you have two choices, well 3 if you count go buy an new fan.

It sounds like your fan has the standard 3 pin motherboard fan connector on it instead of the more common 4 pin much larger molex connector. If this is true your power supply will not have a connector for that fan. Your motherboard should have 1 or perhaps even 2 connectors for that fan built into the motherboard. The answer is as close as your motherboard manual, if necessary download a new copy. It will have a picture of the board layout near the frount and will identify the fan connectors.

One other choice would be to cut off the 3 pin connecor and splice the wires into a power supply coonetor/wires. If you reply that you need to do this I will give instructions but you are much much better off using the motherboard fan connector. I think you have found them already but double check with the manual and you are good to go.

Your board had three 3-pin headers on the bottom edge of the board.

Ah, yes, it's a 3-pin connector. I do see the connection on the MB and at this time I am going to use that. I'll look at the manual to see which one would be the best connection. Thanks!!

Quick question can I just simply add to one of this fan connectors on the MB or would i have to change something in the BIOS to have it work. This could be a dumb questions, but had to ask.

Back