• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Installing 120mm Fan

KillRoy X

Gawd
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
921
Didn't think I had to create a thread for installing a fan, but here I am.

Current have the Antec 900 and decided to put the 120mm Fan on the side. Using an existing 120 from older computer. The fan only has a small 3 prong connection that I can't find in the new computer. Not sure what the 3 prong is called.

I also have the 780i EVGA MB. I thnk I see a male counter part to the 3 prong on the MB but can't be certain.

Question is, can I connect directly to the MB if I can't find a male side connection from my existing power supply? (corsair 750tx) Not sure if new 120's have different connections or not. Probably should just buy a new one.
 


If that is what the fan has, then you can plug it straight into the 3 pin connector on the motherboard which should look like this


See those four connectors along the bottom? Plug the fan into one that looks like that.

 
You either have a stand 3-pin fan connector or a standard 4-pin Molex connector like on a power supply. Your 780i should have a few 3 pin headers. Consult you manual for the board layout if you don't see them.
 
OK you have two choices, well 3 if you count go buy an new fan.

It sounds like your fan has the standard 3 pin motherboard fan connector on it instead of the more common 4 pin much larger molex connector. If this is true your power supply will not have a connector for that fan. Your motherboard should have 1 or perhaps even 2 connectors for that fan built into the motherboard. The answer is as close as your motherboard manual, if necessary download a new copy. It will have a picture of the board layout near the frount and will identify the fan connectors.

One other choice would be to cut off the 3 pin connecor and splice the wires into a power supply coonetor/wires. If you reply that you need to do this I will give instructions but you are much much better off using the motherboard fan connector. I think you have found them already but double check with the manual and you are good to go.
 
Your board had three 3-pin headers on the bottom edge of the board.
 
Ah, yes, it's a 3-pin connector. I do see the connection on the MB and at this time I am going to use that. I'll look at the manual to see which one would be the best connection. Thanks!!

Quick question can I just simply add to one of this fan connectors on the MB or would i have to change something in the BIOS to have it work. This could be a dumb questions, but had to ask.
 
Back
Top