Installed Vista today...

ohgod

Gawd
I went out and bought an OEM version of Vista Ultimate. Once installed everything went peachy. I installed the Forceware 100.59's gaming seemed to be good. But when I looked in my device manager one of the 7950GX2 icons had a ! by it.
It gives the error:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Is this just because SLI doesnt work with this driver? Or is there something else wrong?
Anyone else have this problem? Thanks!

I went out and bought an OEM version of Vista Ultimate. Once installed everything went peachy. I installed the Forceware 100.59's gaming seemed to be good. But when I looked in my device manager one of the 7950GX2 icons had a ! by it.
It gives the error:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

Is this just because SLI doesnt work with this driver? Or is there something else wrong?

SLI in Vista with the current drivers only works for 8800-series cards. 6/7-series SLI drivers are coming "soon"(TM) :eek: .

I thought per the [H] article, it was TBD.

"G7x/NV4x SLI support for OpenGL and DirectX 9 is TBD."

That sounds even worse than "soon".

LOL you want to use Direct X 9 graphics card SLI in Vista? NVIDIA doesn't owe you anything. STFU and stop your bitching. If you don't like it, write your own damn drivers.

</sarcasm>

maybe one day NVIDIA will wake up and smell all the customers they've alienated with their lack of Vista support. The fact that they've had an RTM for months as well as beta code for a hell of a lot longer says to me that they just didn't take the Vista launch seriously. I'm sure they have much more important things to do than to support their own hardware. But unfortunately for them, that means that my next video card purchase will not be an NVIDIA GPU. I'm sure I'm not alone in my sentiments.

LOL you want to use Direct X 9 graphics card SLI in Vista? NVIDIA doesn't owe you anything. STFU and stop your bitching. If you don't like it, write your own damn drivers.

</sarcasm>

maybe one day NVIDIA will wake up and smell all the customers they've alienated with their lack of Vista support. The fact that they've had an RTM for months as well as beta code for a hell of a lot longer says to me that they just didn't take the Vista launch seriously. I'm sure they have much more important things to do than to support their own hardware. But unfortunately for them, that means that my next video card purchase will not be an NVIDIA GPU. I'm sure I'm not alone in my sentiments.

I agree with you, was gonna get the 8800 series, but wont. i refues to buy $$$ of cards for all my machines either. infact from what i have read sli doesnt even work for the 8800 in vista either

Thanks for the answers! I beleive that Nvidia will eventaully get their act together. Oddly the only game that takes a performance is Half Life 2. I had to scale the setting down for it to run at 60 FPS.

I agree with you, was gonna get the 8800 series, but wont. i refues to buy $$$ of cards for all my machines either. infact from what i have read sli doesnt even work for the 8800 in vista either

Don't believe everything you read. As far as I have heard, and nVidia says, it does work on the 8800 series.

not to sound like a troll as i've already posted this in another thread that I made, but SLI really does *not* work in vista... I get 1fps at 2560x1600 with 16xQ FSAA and 16x AF in vista... in XP, i get 100fps with identical settings.

If I turn SLI off, i get 60 or so fps in vista with the same settings... call me crazy, but that sounds like sli is broken in vista

not to sound like a troll as i've already posted this in another thread that I made, but SLI really does *not* work in vista... I get 1fps at 2560x1600 with 16xQ FSAA and 16x AF in vista... in XP, i get 100fps with identical settings.

If I turn SLI off, i get 60 or so fps in vista with the same settings... call me crazy, but that sounds like sli is broken in vista

First time I've seen something about this other than people referring to non-existent things... if so, that's pretty weak :(.

It gives the error:

i guess you probably know this but since you bought an oem version, you will probably not be able to validate if you swap out motherboards (these dvd's are supposed to be used by system integraters like dell, e-machines, etc). also, all buyers of the retail version will be getting the 64 bit vista for a request and shipping charges. you will have to pay the entire price.

i guess you probably know this but since you bought an oem version, you will probably not be able to validate if you swap out motherboards (these dvd's are supposed to be used by system integraters like dell, e-machines, etc). also, all buyers of the retail version will be getting the 64 bit vista for a request and shipping charges. you will have to pay the entire price.

Welll "probably" isnt very definate, and i've heard a lot about people having to switch out hardware and things are fine. Did I say anything about the 64-bit version?

Hrm...no drivers for SLI in vista for the 7-series nvidia cards, when there is a card (7950gx2) that only works properly in SLI...i think that poses a major problem. That means, if you have a gx2, you are literally screwed for vista!

if you ask me, it sounds like Vista is just like any other OS launch - 2000 and XP were crap out of the box as well - the only difference is nvidia promised out of the box vista readiness and has been touting how their products offer the 'ultimate' vista experience... and are falling completely short. Had they not said any of this, I don't think anyone at all would be bitching, it would be just like any previous OS launch.

It really does suck for GX2 users though, and SLI users in general.

Thanks for the answers! I beleive that Nvidia will eventaully get their act together. Oddly the only game that takes a performance is Half Life 2. I had to scale the setting down for it to run at 60 FPS.
Yeah, HL2 games run horribly in Vista. I tried playing HL2 LC earlier with the same settings as I use in WinXP (1400x1050, 4xAA, 16xAF, all options turned high) and it was terrible.

I find it annoying that nvidia has stopped support of the 5 series, and back.

I'm not a super hardcore gamer, and my 5700Ultra works fine. I'm having to use the 96.85 RTM drivers.

Oh well, it's time for a whole new rig anyway.

Welll "probably" isnt very definate, and i've heard a lot about people having to switch out hardware and things are fine. Did I say anything about the 64-bit version?

well if theyve had to switch out any "hardware" that includes motherboards in the 4 or 5 days since this product became available, and things were "fine" well then i am mistaken. no. in fact you didnt say anything about 64 bit. but when you do, you will have to buy another copy. like i mentioned before.

if you ask me, it sounds like Vista is just like any other OS launch - 2000 and XP were crap out of the box as well - the only difference is nvidia promised out of the box vista readiness and has been touting how their products offer the 'ultimate' vista experience... and are falling completely short. Had they not said any of this, I don't think anyone at all would be bitching, it would be just like any previous OS launch.

It really does suck for GX2 users though, and SLI users in general.

Its not THAT bad :) . I agree, if Nvidia wasnt holding the "worlds first DX10 video card supplying the ultimate Vista experience" not that many people would be complaining. I however am complaining about the lack of support for the 7 series, its like Vista just came out of no where for Nvidia. What were they doing while it was in Beta??

A question that pops into my head while thinking about this is: Is it even possible to create a full-featured SLI driver that conforms to the driver model in Vista?

well if theyve had to switch out any "hardware" that includes motherboards in the 4 or 5 days since this product became available, and things were "fine" well then i am mistaken. no. in fact you didnt say anything about 64 bit. but when you do, you will have to buy another copy. like i mentioned before.

That is absolutely not true. This is spreading like wild fire everywhere but the truth is Vista OEM is being treated very similar to XP OEM. I know, I already swapped out my mobo after installing Vista 64 and activating.

When I tried to reactivate over the internet it spouted off that I'd have to buy another license, yada yada. So I call customer support, get my new activation number, and voila, up and running again. If you've used OEM XP in the past and done a lot of hardware changes over time, you know that every once in a while you're going to have to call customer service to reactivate. No different here.

some of you dont realize how much code there is in the video drivers.....nvidia is working there butts off getting a driver out. donut just assume their lazy and not pleasing there customers. More people own vista now so that means more responses to problems in games and many other applications. so stop bashing nvidia, they are trying there hardest.

Actually if you buy Retail Ultimate it comes with both DVDs... check mine...

my.php

Back