• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

installed DuOrb on HD4850 = blank screen

damole

n00b
Joined
Nov 19, 2007
Messages
33
I finally got round to installing the DuOrb on my HD4850 after running it with the stock cooler for a few weeks. It's the first time I've installed a aftermarket cooler but it seemed quite straight forward. My only query was the fact that the stock heatsink used to be attached to the chips and resistors at the right side of the board and whether I should use thernal paste on the vram heatsinks (I didn't).

Anyway after it was all done I put it back in my machine and turned it on, the bios screen displayed as usual but after a few seconds I got a blank screen. This happened whether I entered setup or let it continue booting to windows. I tried another monitor, same thing and also tried disconnecting the power lead for the cooler to see if it was drawing too much power. I switched back to my old 8600GT and it works fine.

Any ideas?
 
could not be attached right , or not making full contact with GPU Core?

try putting back stock cooling , yes i know its a hassle... an see if she works
 
So I'm both surprised and happy, I put the stock cooler back and now it works fine. Is it the case that the card is shutting down after less than 10 seconds, nothing felt particularly hot. I bought some more thermal paste yesterday so I will try again later today. For now I'm just happy that the card is ok so thanks for the tip.

--damole
 
my buddy has the thermaltake duo orb , he said it was a tricky install it took him two tries aswell

easiest thing to do is , clean off the GPU Core & apply a dab of thermal paste an put the cooler down on it an make sure its making full contact , an if it is place it back down an screw it on there
 
yea be grateful they do this.. (remember the the first Socket A AMDs that would flash fry if no HSF was on when booted)

my X1900XTX did the same thing when i put on my HR03... it was raised up every so slightly and the GPU would shut down after about 30 seconds at POST..
 
OK, I guess this is why it says noob next to my profile name. I temporarily attached the new cooler and could see that not much contact was being made which was the point when I realised the 2nd set of bolts provided had a shorter clearance and when using these the sink was snugly contacting the gpu surface. I fired it up again and it worked a treat, I now see temps between 39-43 degs instead of 79 degs. Now that's cool!

Thanks again.

--damole
 
Thats good to here damole , thats why the forum is here - people helping people!

glad to see it worked out for yah , an yea those are about right temps! , now give her a bit of OC =) an enjoy
 
Back
Top