Installation tips and checklist for Watercooling.

BillParrish

Supreme [H]ardness
Over the next couple of weeks with all of you guys (and gals) help I would like to gather information and create as a group effort a post that I will sticky that will contain 2 main items.

Installation Checklist
This will not discuss the intricacies that might arise from a specific installation but instead is a "things to check" before and during assembly of the loop. i.e. Things like: "check the tightness of all factory supplied fittings", "Ensure screws for mounting fans to the rad are the proper length and will not puncture the rad" "Never run the pump dry - not even for a second" and a whatever else we can think of.

Tips:
This will be a section containing any and all neat "tricks of the trade" we can come up with to help a person new to the "game". Things like "a very tiny application of dish-washing liquid soap on the first barb of a barbed fitting will make installing a tight hose fitment much easier, only to be used in case difficulty. " , 90 deg elbow fittings should be avoided if possible and gentle bends used instead if possible and the aesthetics allow it. "

I have no idea at the amount of response we will get with this. Post your ideas/submissions to this thread. One idea/submission per post (gotta get that post count up ya know :) ) as many good ideas as you can think of. Short and sweet is best. Go over your wording for clarity before you hit submit. So I ask that you start the title of your post with the words "checklist or tip or comment" to indicate if you are providing a tip, a checklist item or a comment on a previous posted item. Items that generate discussion as to the technical merit of inclusion to either list are fine but we will keep it civil. "You farking idiot, Raspberry Jello does make your loop blue but it is stupid" will be deleted out of hand. On the other hand, "I love Raspberry Jello, for lunch, and it will turn your loop blue but in my experience it kills the flow rate and it is my opinion it should not be used in watercooling loops. " is absolutely fine.

So lets give this a try, I will try to have a basic checklist up by next Monday and we can all take potshots at it. At some point I see the checklist being mostly finished but the installation tips might be a living document and might get a sticky of its own. At some point (no new posts for 3 months ??) declare the job done . We can always start it up again or if someone sees something important we missed create a post that will catch my eye (please dont PM me) and we will add it if we all (meaning you guys/gals) agree it should be added.

This could end up being a great thing, but I must warn I am pretty busy but on that note its a great opportunity for some of the experts out there that have done some amazing things to share their vast knowledge. This WILL NOT be a pissing contest. The second this becomes a PITA I am bailing. All contributors will be noted in the sticky.

I imagine there are checklists already out there but as imitation is the best form of flattery if someone was to find some and post a link or cut and paste so we could /cough borrow /cough the better bits, it might speed things up.

Make absolutely certain the pump chamber has liquid in it before applying power,
Running a pump dry even for just a second can and probably will damage it or severly reduce its life as the impeller bearings are lubricated by the coolant liquid in 99.9% of pumps.

-----------------------------------------

Suggested format for checklist, Main point in bold and type size 4. Secondary explanation if desired in default size and just a couple of sentences.

Find a way to run the fully assembled system with no power to the motherboard or video card and check carefuly for leaks.
If necesary look up the "paper clip trick" to cause the power supply to start up without a motherboard, use a power supply tester, whatever it takes.

INSTALLATTION CHECKLIST

This is an all inclusive checklist. This means that all steps are not necessary merely recommended. Use what you need. This assumes you have already determined your physical layout and mounting need and have cut/drilled needed holes and openings

Prepare your mind.
Before touching anything it is my opinion you should have studied your case and components until your eyes bled and by now know exactly where you are going to mount what and you have measured/test fit/tried/retired/started over/layed out/ re-layed out/thought/thought again/routed tubing in your mind/ re-routed/ routed again in your sleep/ stayed up 1/2 night staring at ceiling wondering about loop order etc. You should not even think about starting unless you have a damn good idea of exactly what you want to do and where everything will go. Then half way thru the installaion you will change something anyway so dont sweat it too much.

Prepare Your Workspace
(Do this ahead of time, women view the Kitchen as their territory and failure to provide warning and obtain approval in advance can result in severe injury or long term chronic pain. )
Bribe wife for entire weekends' use of kitchen table by promising to take her out for a nice dinner Saturday night. Have Pizza delivery number at hand for Sunday dinner. Ensure fridge is stocked with sufficient "easy" food and munchies so that the kitichen table can be yours from later Friday evening until late Sunday night. Failure to follow this procedure has resulted in more botched installations than all other causes combined. If you have a workshop/garage/worktable this step can be eliminated but the stocking of the fridge and PIzza delivery is still highly recommended and not doing so is a common "first timer' mistake. Protect the table at all times, cardboard or towels prevent scratches - to your eyes

Gather Your Implements of Destruction.
(do this ahead of time and toss in a box so as to be ready to go)
Cotton rags or roll of paper towels - (a med size bath towel at hand never hurts either. )
Small funnel that will fit fill port or T line.
Empty cleaned out 1 gal milk jug or similar
Tubing cutter or heavy duty scissors or other one handed blade weapon to cleanly cut tubing to length.
Tape measure
Marker pen
Proper size and type of screwdrivers (a medium sized #1 and #2 phillips, medium sized flat)
Nut driver with assortment of small metric 2-6mm and US 1/8-7/16inch sockets
Thermal Compound
Option - consider a small bottle of Testors Matte Black paint used in model making and a small brush to paint screw heads and nuts after installation if shiney hardware is used.
Small wrenches as needed to tighten tubing fittings (do not over tighten ! Smartly snug is usually sufficient)
Adjustable pliers.

Verify Your Components.
Sufficient cooling fluid (an extra gallon of distilled water to be used in testing is a good thing)
Pump fitting correct size and checked to ensure tightness in pump.
Rad fittings correct size and checked to ensure tightness in radiator.
Reservoir fittings correct size and checked to ensure tightness in reservoir.
Block fittings correct size and checked to ensure tightness in Block(s).
Fans have proper power connectors and a stragety for getting them power has been determined and needed connections to the motherboard/power supply/fan controller are verified available.
Pump has proper power connector and a stragety for providing it power has been determined and verified available.
Count your tubing connections/barbs and make sure you have sufficient tye-wraps/clamps/compression nuts/whatever to secure the hose to the component fittings.
Fan Grills/filters proper size and number if used.

Verify Your Hardware.
Consider using a muffin pan, small bowls or cups to separate and organize.
Pump mounting bolts, nuts, washers, lock washers, of proper number and size.
Pump anti-vibration mounting grommets/rubber pads/velco etc.
Radiator mounting bolts/screws nuts washers of proper number and size.
Fan mounting bolts/screws, nuts, washers, lock washers of proper number and size. Check the length to ensure they will not hit the radiator and damage it when installed, remember to include the grill, if used, during this check. Be careful. Make absolutely certain the scews used when mouning the rad and or the fans to the rad are not too long.

more....

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but why isn't there a community Wiki for something like this? Good idea, bad idea?

There are likely a bunch around the net but it was suggested we have one here so I made the effort. It appears no one is all that interested and unless a lot more imput shows up fast this is going nowhere.

I don't know about using a heat gun to heat up a 7/16ID 5/8OD tubing evenly. How do I tell its soft enough to slide onto a 1/2ID barb to make sure its fit? OH great bill help me!

just use the heatgun on low and turn the tubing end in your fingers, think of even time in the heatstream is all. it will get soft when its ready - or at least softer.

i still say clamps are better but nobody listens to me :p

Heat gun will work, most of us just hold the end of the tubing in boiling water for a bit and they try to fit the tube, no go ? put it back in the water for a min more and try again, Shortly you will know how long it takes to soften it up to do that first fitting and then just do the same to the others you need to make fit.

I too like clamps even if I have to "shrink fit" the tubing on the bards with the water/heat trick. Clamps lot cheaper than video cards ;)

Back