• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Install programs to external drive?

Uncle Humjaba

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 6, 2006
Messages
440
Recently I installed a 96GB SSD into my laptop (the drive was free), replacing the 500gb HDD that was in it. I was wondering if USB 3.0 can provide enough throughput to allow a 7200rpm notebook drive to operate at full speed? I don't mind carrying a small ext hard drive with me for times when I want to use certain games or programs that I don't use daily, but I don't want to spend hours waiting for them to load either.

Basically, is USB 3.0 still a bottleneck? If so, how much?

Thanks
 
theoretically it shouldn't be a bottleneck... but you never know with usb

I'm getting a rosewill usb 3.0 enclosure tomorrow. I'll try it out and let you know my results for a 7200 2tb drive from hitachi
 
I think USB has more CPU overhead than SATA so you might notice a difference.
 
okay, I got the enclosure.

this is very important if your motherboard is not very new but still has usb 3.0 and uses the NEC host. update your firmware.

holy shit I wasted so much time fiddling with this thing to make it not hang in linux under the xhci driver. it would read fine, but as soon as you go to write, it completely dropped the drive.

anyways, it's this enclosure http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182223 *fixed link*

I'm writing at 115mb/s burst, about 70-80 average average. with this thing while doing a backup of my raid1. it's really good once you get it working.

if your firmware for your NEC host is out of date (oh yeah it is), go to http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130099 and grab the last link in the first post. you'll need it. you have to do it in windows, and you can check the firmware version in the program that comes with your mobo cd for the usb 3.0 driver.

I'd say it's really good and it's definitely not bottlenecking my 7200 drive.
 
Last edited:
anyways, it's this enclosure http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182180
[...]
I'm writing at 115mb/s burst, about 70-80 average average. with this thing while doing a backup of my raid1. it's really good once you get it working.
Do you have it connected via eSATA? The enclosure that you linked, is NOT a 3.0 one (hence the price). Newegg sometimes makes mistakes, but even Rosewill does only talk about USB 2.0: http://www.rosewill.com/products/1366/productDetail.htm

-TLB
 
Do you have it connected via eSATA? The enclosure that you linked, is NOT a 3.0 one (hence the price). Newegg sometimes makes mistakes, but even Rosewill does only talk about USB 2.0: http://www.rosewill.com/products/1366/productDetail.htm

-TLB

derp. I linked the wrong one. rosewill and their enclosures that all look the same.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182223 this is mine. no promo, and yes, using the usb 3.0 sorry about that
 
Back
Top