Install and set up windows 10 on new computer for delivery to someone

Phantoms

Limp Gawd
I'm building a new PC for my grandson. I have a unactivated copy of Win10 Pro that I plan on installing, but I've got a question.

Win10 wants your Microsoft Account when you first log in. I want it set up to where when he gets it, he can make it his (his Microsoft Account, etc.), but I need to install the OS and all the drivers (MB, Vid card, etc.) before mailing it off to him.

What's the best way to go about this without setting up an account so when he gets it he'll basically be the first user?

You can click on an option to setup later at the bottom of one of the install windows when you first start the install.

Just use a local account, and then if you're feeling really squirrely you can sysprep it. Google sysprep, but in general you'll run it and tell the system to re-enter the OOBE (out-of-box-experience) and the next time it turns on, it'll go through the whole "Welcome, wanna set up an account" business.

Microsoft are very manipulative when it comes to setting up an account under the installer, you'd honestly think there's no other way to set up an account unless it's a Microsoft account: Until you see somewhere down near the L/H lower corner the words 'skip this step'.

Microsoft are very manipulative when it comes to setting up an account under the installer, you'd honestly think there's no other way to set up an account unless it's a Microsoft account: Until you see somewhere down near the L/H lower corner the words 'skip this step'.

Do not listen to this right here, it is very easy to setup with a local account but, if you have any further questions OP, just ask, I can give you a step by step, no problem. :)

Edit: Oh, and just leave the computer disconnected from the network, skip the network setup and setup a local account that way, if you want. It works fine. You will have to be connected to the internet to activate windows, however, afterwards.

Thanks guys, installing it now. I installed Win10 on my system (this one) about a year ago using a local account only and keep it that way. Getting older and CRS kicked in so didn't remember what all I had went through.

He wants his to be able to connect to his microsoft account so that he can share his Xbox One games and account with the PC and thus the question about that. I think I can install him a local account and then he can set that part up later, correct?

That's correct. Or, as mentioned, you can sysprep it and it'll take him through the "create a new account" portion on the next bootup.

You just go to Accounts, and then click the button that says Sign in with a MS account instead.
ms-account.jpg

Do not listen to this right here, it is very easy to setup with a local account but, if you have any further questions OP, just ask, I can give you a step by step, no problem. :)

Edit: Oh, and just leave the computer disconnected from the network, skip the network setup and setup a local account that way, if you want. It works fine. You will have to be connected to the internet to activate windows, however, afterwards.

hGMcMnPh.png

And in small text down the bottom left designed to blend with the Microsoft Privacy Statement and not directly making mention of configuration using a 'local account':

aIDT4oYh.png

That's called a 'manipulative tactic' and macOS isn't immune to it either - But Microsoft are defiantly in a class of their own:

ADpX63ah.png

For the record, I use Chrome under macOS.

I was in no way highlighting simplicity, I was highlighting 'deliberate manipulation'. If Microsoft wasn't being deliberately manipulative the OP wouldn't have started this very thread, as a matter of deductive logic.

To the OP, click 'Skip This Step' and you can make a local account on install. This thread will help you achieve what you want so that your grandson can make his own account on powering up his device for the first time:

https://hardforum.com/threads/set-windows-10-back-to-the-intial-setup-screen.1949461/

Last edited:
You can click on an option to setup later at the bottom of one of the install windows when you first start the install.

Out of curiosity, where is this option on install? I've been through the installer and I can't see it?

1nJM8WUh.png

Out of curiosity, where is this option on install? I've been through the installer and I can't see it?

1nJM8WUh.png
It is that screen you posted in the comment before this one. That was the option I was speaking of....... 'Skip This Step'

I haven't done a Win 10 install in a couple of months so I couldn't remember exactly what it said or where exactly it was, but that was it.

It is that screen you posted in the comment before this one. That was the option I was speaking of....... 'Skip This Step'

I haven't done a Win 10 install in a couple of months so I couldn't remember exactly what it said or where exactly it was, but that was it.

The order is:

1. Make It Yours.
2. Skip This Step.

and

3. Create An Account.

'Skip This Step' simply allows you to create an account that's local as opposed to a Microsoft account. Confusing, isn't it? That's no accident.

Last edited:
Installed Win10 from an OEM Disc and then applied (still applying) updates. This graph shows what that's like:
line_A97648_F.png

Installed Win10 from an OEM Disc and then applied (still applying) updates. This graph shows what that's like:
line_A97648_F.png

Did you install it with the latest version? Also, did you install it without being connected to the network? There is a known bug that can cause an issue where a service uses a ton of cpu with the latest version if it is a clean install and you are connected to the network well doing that. Also, are you installing on a hard drive or SSD?

hGMcMnPh.png

And in small text down the bottom left designed to blend with the Microsoft Privacy Statement and not directly making mention of configuration using a 'local account':

aIDT4oYh.png

That's called a 'manipulative tactic' and macOS isn't immune to it either - But Microsoft are defiantly in a class of their own:

ADpX63ah.png

For the record, I use Chrome under macOS.

I was in no way highlighting simplicity, I was highlighting 'deliberate manipulation'. If Microsoft wasn't being deliberately manipulative the OP wouldn't have started this very thread, as a matter of deductive logic.

To the OP, click 'Skip This Step' and you can make a local account on install. This thread will help you achieve what you want so that your grandson can make his own account on powering up his device for the first time:

https://hardforum.com/threads/set-windows-10-back-to-the-intial-setup-screen.1949461/

That is a very old install screen from a much older version. That is not at all the screen for the Creators update or Fall Creators update and therefore, you are not correct.

That is a very old install screen from a much older version. That is not at all the screen for the Creators update or Fall Creators update and therefore, you are not correct.

That's the version 'just' before the Creators update, the Creators update is so fraught with issues that there is no way I can use it as a reliable install medium and only upgrade to it as necessary.

However, I'll download the latest version and try the same thing. No matter how you want to spin it - That's manipulative tactics. Stop caring so much about the company that doesn't give a shit about you.

That's the version 'just' before the Creators update, the Creators update is so fraught with issues that there is no way I can use it as a reliable install medium and only upgrade to it as necessary.

However, I'll download the latest version and try the same thing. No matter how you want to spin it - That's manipulative tactics. Stop caring so much about the company that doesn't give a shit about you.
I am pretty sure the latest version has the Create Local Account visible on the MS account creation screen. I just did a fresh install the other day and I honestly can't say 100%, lol

Did you install it with the latest version?
No, from the install disc which I assume is an older version

Also, did you install it without being connected to the network? There is a known bug that can cause an issue where a service uses a ton of cpu with the latest version if it is a clean install and you are connected to the network well doing that. Also, are you installing on a hard drive or SSD?
On a SSD. Install went fine. Installed all drivers except nVidia drivers which required later version of Win10, so I did the updates (requires being connected to the net). That's where things are going slowly, updating Windows 10 to the latest version. I'm finally got to the point of a reboot and it's now on the working on updates screen, so hopefully I'm close.

Edit: That finished and now it's doing a feature update to version 1709. See how long this takes

Last edited:
No, from the install disc which I assume is an older version

On a SSD. Install went fine. Installed all drivers except nVidia drivers which required later version of Win10, so I did the updates (requires being connected to the net). That's where things are going slowly, updating Windows 10 to the latest version. I'm finally got to the point of a reboot and it's now on the working on updates screen, so hopefully I'm close.

In the future, I recommend installing the latest version using the USB flash drive you can create using the Media Creation tool. Usually takes about 15 minutes to install to a usable desktop. I usually did the same when it came to Windows 7 and I would manually install Service Pack 1 before doing any updates through Windows updates.

Either way, I am sure your grandson will enjoy it. :) What are the parts you used?

I had on hand a MSI sli plus z170a and a intel 6600. I added 16GB memory, a Samsung 850 EVO, EVGA 6GB 1060SC, thermatake 750W Tough Power. It's not going to be extreme top of the line, but should be strong for a while and still upgradable for later.

The update to 1709 was doing the same thing so I canceled and went to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 on his PC and clicked the Update Now for the fall creators update. Seems to be going faster that way.

Where is that "Stop liking what I hate!" meme picture when I need it. :D

You.. didn't read the OP at all, and are just casually commenting on a tangent. Right?

You.. didn't read the OP at all, and are just casually commenting on a tangent. Right?

I advised the OP as to the exact process to achieve what he wants! You've gotta actually read posts. To quote myself:

I am pretty sure the latest version has the Create Local Account visible on the MS account creation screen. I just did a fresh install the other day and I honestly can't say 100%, lol

The latest version is even more manipulative. The initial account setup screen has printed in small text in the lower left corner stating simply 'Offline Account' - After you select that option there's another three pages where MS does all they can to convince the user to set up a Microsoft account! It's deplorable!

No wonder the OP's getting confused.

Screen 1:

JDN7Wiah.png

Screen 2:

Here, 'Sign In With Microsoft' dominates the screen, notice the wording and the fact it doesn't logically state 'Set Up A Microsoft Online Account' and there's small text in the lower corner that states 'Offline account', not 'Set Up An Offline Account Instead', just 'Offline Account'. But once you select offline account you have another two screens of manipulation!

4ox3Jsyh.png

Screen 3:

zKFbS9bh.png

This screen is devoted to convincing the unsuspecting user to sign in using a Microsoft account instead, you'll notice MS never goes into too much detail as to just what a Microsoft account involves. For all the unsuspecting user knows it could be literally identical to a local account with a few additional tweaks!

Screen 4:

tPXvVrVh.png

"Or, even better, use an online account!" Are you serious?

As a Windows 10 user myself, A Windows 10 user - There is no doubting the underhanded manipulation here, and it's speckled right throughout the OS in various forms promoting MS products! I hate it, it confuses people that don't know any better and it's an unwarranted marketing ploy. Why is it assumed that one should just be submissive when it comes to Microsoft?

So, once again, I can totally understand just why the OP was struggling with what should be a straightforward process the user should be completely in control of with no manipulation.

It also has to be highlighted that I'm not just singling Microsoft out here, as evidenced in my previous post.

Last edited:
I have to admit, microsoft caught me off guard the first time I set up windows 10 with their 'in your face' pushing for me to create a microsoft account.

I'd like to thank everyone. The OS is installed (after a whole day updating) with all drivers and working great, the PC is packed up and ready to send out to him tomorrow.
Interesting the updates took an entire 'day' whether that's 12 or 24 hours. I just set up a clean Fall Creator's Update machine (i5 laptop with a hard drive), which I did the initial boot from the USB about.. 45 minutes ago?... and I've installed the OS, updated it fully (which isn't much), verified all of the drivers, cleaned up the Start menu, disabled the animations, AND changed the wallpaper. Maybe you were doing other stuff as well?

Interesting the updates took an entire 'day' whether that's 12 or 24 hours. I just set up a clean Fall Creator's Update machine (i5 laptop with a hard drive), which I did the initial boot from the USB about.. 45 minutes ago?... and I've installed the OS, updated it fully (which isn't much), verified all of the drivers, cleaned up the Start menu, disabled the animations, AND changed the wallpaper. Maybe you were doing other stuff as well?

I believe the OP was using the version just prior to the fall CU. Therefore he would have had to download the CU, not just updates.

Last edited:
Back