Set Windows 10 back to the intial setup screen?

westrock2000

[H]F Junkie
I bought a laptop for someone for Christmas and I would like to install Office on it before I give it to them, but I want them to be able to go through the initial process of setting up a Microsoft account on the machine and choosing stuff.

Is this possible? For me to boot it up, make my account, install Office, delete my account on the computer and then set the machine to show the account setup process on next reboot?

You want to use what is known as "audit mode". This means the computer will boot into the administrator account (built in) and let you do anything you want without creating a local user.
  • At the OOBE screen (screen that appears when you first boot up), press CTRL+SHIFT+F3.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824920.aspx

Keep in mind that the new versions of Office require linking the product key to an email account so they will have to activate the software.

Sysprep. c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe. You can use this with "Enter Out-of-Box Experience", don't generalize, and then shut down. It powers on to the Windows setup screens.

Keep in mind that the new versions of Office require linking the product key to an email account so they will have to activate the software.

It's unbelievable that people keep paying for that.

It's unbelievable that people keep paying for that.
I've been buying the HUP versions which is a normal key activation but it is still CTR which sucks. I keep reading you can use either CTR or MSI but I can't find how to use MSI.

Reactions: Lunar
like this
You want to use what is known as "audit mode". This means the computer will boot into the administrator account (built in) and let you do anything you want without creating a local user.
  • At the OOBE screen (screen that appears when you first boot up), press CTRL+SHIFT+F3.

Sysprep. c:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe. You can use this with "Enter Out-of-Box Experience", don't generalize, and then shut down. It powers on to the Windows setup screens.

Thanks guys! I did a trial run on Virtualbox and that's exactly what I wanted. The sysprep does what I want, but by itself I had to make an account which made 2 accounts now show up on the login screen. By using the ctrl-alt-f3 I was able to use the phantom account and delete the pre-existing accounts and then sysprep again and everything is cool. And the programs I installed showed up on the desktop of the new account.

Thanks so much!

Back