Inspiron 9300 thread

Well I bought and paid for a 9300, however Dell is taking thier Sweet A$$ time building it.
7 Days straight now in the "BUILD" stage, I want to throw my phone at the wall every time I call to check my status :/

Spazilton said:
Well I bought and paid for a 9300, however Dell is taking thier Sweet A$$ time building it.
7 Days straight now in the "BUILD" stage, I want to throw my phone at the wall every time I call to check my status :/

Ditto only now mine is in the second day of "Boxing" because I'm sure that it takes a lot to box it up.

I actually found out from Dell that boxing is the stage where the laptop is shipped from maylasia to your local UPS/DHL distribution center.

I've had mine since 3/16. Even made a thread about it.

I love it. Swapped out my LG WUXGA display for the Samsung, and it's ten times better than it was before. OC's nice as shit too. Running stable at 390/790.

:)

steal said:
I love it. Swapped out my LG WUXGA display for the Samsung, and it's ten times better than it was before. OC's nice as shit too. Running stable at 390/790.

:)

qft, i like the samsung display much better than the LG. Only problem with this laptop was the screen and now thats fixed

Yes, i'm in love with my 9300 as well. Awesome system. Most everything I could want in a laptop, and even for its size its suprisingly lightweight and easy to transport. I do have a couple of unanswered questions though.

1. How can i find out which screen i have? The Device manager just shows some PnP and Default monitors, and though there seems to be a little bleeding at the bottom, seems relativley harmless to me. Is the switch from LG to Samsung you are referring it to, sending it back to dHell for a replacement?

2. Is anyone elses ram stuck running @ 400mhz FSB when its clearly 533 mzh ram and CPU FSB? (havent had the time to call Dell about this yet, hopefully tuesday. i know of at least one other person with this issue.) Note: i'm running the Intel Pentium M Dothan 730 (1.6GHz, 533MHz FSB) with 2 sticks of 256MB ram running in Dual Channel

3. Finally, does anyone know a piece of software that will let me monitor my 6800 Go temperatures directly? I'm using MobileMonitor now for case/cpu temps, as well as battery info but would like to monitor my vid card temp as well. I do have it OC'ed quite a bit and am NOT ready to take it apart and Arctic silver it yet.....

Thanks in advance for any and all answers.

I was wondering, can you put the 9300 on your lap? or will it
a) block fans
b) get way too hot
c) be too big and bulky to have on ones lap

The_Engineer said:
Yes, i'm in love with my 9300 as well. Awesome system. Most everything I could want in a laptop, and even for its size its suprisingly lightweight and easy to transport. I do have a couple of unanswered questions though.

1. How can i find out which screen i have? The Device manager just shows some PnP and Default monitors, and though there seems to be a little bleeding at the bottom, seems relativley harmless to me. Is the switch from LG to Samsung you are referring it to, sending it back to dHell for a replacement?

2. Is anyone elses ram stuck running @ 400mhz FSB when its clearly 533 mzh ram and CPU FSB? (havent had the time to call Dell about this yet, hopefully tuesday. i know of at least one other person with this issue.)

3. Finally, does anyone know a piece of software that will let me monitor my 6800 Go temperatures directly? I'm using MobileMonitor now for case/cpu temps, as well as battery info but would like to monitor my vid card temp as well. I do have it OC'ed quite a bit and am NOT ready to take it apart and Arctic silver it yet.....

Do you have the 1.6 CPU? That runs @ 400, the higher ones run @ 533.

palabared said:
I was wondering, can you put the 9300 on your lap? or will it
a) block fans
b) get way too hot
c) be too big and bulky to have on ones lap

a) no, it won't at least not too bad. there is a vent but the laptop runs well on my lap. been playin SW Republic commando in my lazy boy....

b) nope, the bottom actually stays surprisingly cool, alot cooler than My mom's M6805 with the amd 64 mobile (not really a surprise...) but there is alot of open space inside the lappy and i think this helps to keep the bottom cool.

c) i've got a big lap, as i'm a tall guy but i find it quite comfortable as it is not extremley heavy.

Summoner said:
Do you have the 1.6 CPU? That runs @ 400, the higher ones run @ 533.

Yes, i have the 1.6 cpu. It is the new Dothan that runs @533mhz FSB.
"Intel Pentium M Dothan 730 (1.6GHz, 533MHz FSB)"
Review @ notebookreview

I can post my Screen from CPUZ later too. The RAM actually Shows a 533mhz designation on the chip but is only running @ 400mhz in windows and the bios :confused:

Ordered: 4/2/2005
Estimated Ship Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Hopefully it ships sooner and I get it by Friday :D

The_Engineer said:
a) no, it won't at least not too bad. there is a vent but the laptop runs well on my lap. been playin SW Republic commando in my lazy boy....

b) nope, the bottom actually stays surprisingly cool, alot cooler than My mom's M6805 with the amd 64 mobile (not really a surprise...) but there is alot of open space inside the lappy and i think this helps to keep the bottom cool.

c) i've got a big lap, as i'm a tall guy but i find it quite comfortable as it is not extremley heavy.

Yes, i have the 1.6 cpu. It is the new Dothan that runs @533mhz FSB.
"Intel Pentium M Dothan 730 (1.6GHz, 533MHz FSB)"
Review @ notebookreview

I can post my Screen from CPUZ later too. The RAM actually Shows a 533mhz designation on the chip but is only running @ 400mhz in windows and the bios :confused:

I will back this up the I9300 all use the 533FSB CPU's its a Pentium-M 730. (1.6GHZ 533)

I wouldnt worry about the ram speed too much the I9300 system bus is only 133Mhz.

Spazilton said:
I wouldnt worry about the ram speed too much the I9300 system bus is only 133Mhz.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I suppose i'm a bit confused by that system bus comment. If the processor is 533mhz and is connected to the ram via the north bridge with 533mhz or 400mhz where does the 133mhz come in as a bottleneck? Thanks.

All pentium 4's use a quad pumped FSB. So a 533 FSB processor is really running (4x133Mhz)

Take my older P4 Encoding system for example.

It is a 2.66 P4 533. It operates on a 133Mhz FSB. It uses PC2100 (DDR-266) or 133Mhz ram. All the different speeds are just marketing ploys.

All i was saying Is I dont believe the ram is running at 533Mhz on the new centrino platforms. I believe its is running at 133Mhz.

More news on my 9300. Spent Saturday night and about 3 hours today on the horn with Dell. Another screw has come loose and is rattling around inside of my machine. I am not going to keep taking this thing apart, nor am I going to continue to send it back into the depot for this issue. I managed to finally get them to send a replacement machine today. I should receive it within 8-10 days.

This should not discourage anyone about this machine. I have logged about 60 hours of WoW on it. Stable as can be. Great performer. The screws were loose on the speaker housings on my particular unit. Dell neglected to check the other speaker housing when they fixed the left one before.

Still by far my favorite lappy despite the small issue.

ordered: April 7th
current status: boxing (day 2)
delivery estimate April 27th-29th :(

why must it take so long???? Today is the 11th and it isn't scheduled to ship till the 22nd:( 11 days away

Korgun said:
Ordered: 4/2/2005
Estimated Ship Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Hopefully it ships sooner and I get it by Friday :D

It isn't fair :(

On another note, I have a question about the wireless operation. The mini pci wireless card, does it have the antenna that runs up beside the monitor? If not, would it be benifitial to run an antenna to get better range, or is it just not needed for general connections? Thanks for the help

From what I got from Dell yesterday, they are having large backorders. From my understanding the parts coming in now are being used just to fill the machines already ordered. Thats probally why your date is a little bit out.

I am still playing with mine myself, not too many issues. Some slight light leakage, but hardly any complaints.

Either way I am going to finish looking over mine and hopefully have a small review up as well.

ToyYoda03 said:
qft, i like the samsung display much better than the LG. Only problem with this laptop was the screen and now thats fixed

where can one find the samsung screen for sale? I just decided not to buy the wuxga and I am kicking my self over it eventhough I haven't even received my laptop yet.

You can order one from Dell. You would just need to contact them for the part.

Yes Dell is currently using LG and Samsung screens. I have not heard of people purchasing an LG replacement but plenty of people have purchased Samsung replacement kits.

well my ram is only running at the speed of 400 mhz as well according to CPUZ so i emailed dell back and forth and they are sending me new ram...not sure if this will fix the problem but i would love it if everyone could check the ram speed by using CPUZ and posting what there 9300 is running at...

On another note the word INSPIRON has no completely rubbed off the top of my 9300 and i have only had it for a week...anyone else have this problem??

Besides these 2 little snafus i love this machine and it can handle anything i throw at it....

Thanks]

PS how do u tell if u have the LG or Samsung screen???

The_Engineer said:

bump on question #3 as i havent had any answers on this one yet.

also, i dont know about how to find out your screen type yet...

Power strip should tell you the LCD brand. I also believe that the LG does not have a brightness setting of 3. So you can try and figure it out that way.

The word INSPIRON rubbing off was a common issue on the 9200 as well. Dunno what to tell you there. Wouldnt likely be fixed by any replacement either as they are subject to the same thing.

Engineer- Sorry almost forgot about your question again!

2 possible ways to monitor temps (I have not tried either):

You can use custom nvidia drivers (i.e.- Xtreme G) and hopefully monitor through the control panel.

You can try Rivatuner to monitor temps. I have not tried Rivatuner out on my laptop card yet but it definately works on any other Nvidia card I have ever tried.

Does the new Centrino's support dual channel? Just wondering before I upped my ram. I always skipped the whole 533fsb scene.

homerjr43 said:
yes it is dual channel on the 9300...

Thanks, so maybe I should just go ahead and get 2 gigs of ram for it instead of the single kingston 1gig stick :) Why most I be so gulable.

So,
XGA = LG
and UXGA = Samsung?

Also, how is the viewing angles on the UXGA? I noticed on some of the HPs, the screen is practically like a CRT, and can be viewed from almost all angles. How's this one compare to those?

Korialstrasza said:
So,
XGA = LG
and UXGA = Samsung?

Also, how is the viewing angles on the UXGA? I noticed on some of the HPs, the screen is practically like a CRT, and can be viewed from almost all angles. How's this one compare to those?

for a semi quick answer that isn't full I will tell you that the UXGA screens can be either LG or Samsung. Sorry I can't be of much help but this is what I have heard about the UXGA. I have the XGA screen and hope it will be good enough for me.

FALSE i have a LG UXGA

so that is FALSE...u can tell by the model number under your service parts...i think its something like LP00100

and that is the LG

Is it just me or do all of the 6800's overclock like mad, and stay really cool at the same time?? Also anyone know anything about maybe unlocking some extra pipelines that may be enabled on the Ultra and not on this one but are still there(kinda like the desktop cards).

Donk3y said:
Engineer- Sorry almost forgot about your question again!

2 possible ways to monitor temps (I have not tried either):

You can use custom nvidia drivers (i.e.- Xtreme G) and hopefully monitor through the control panel.

You can try Rivatuner to monitor temps. I have not tried Rivatuner out on my laptop card yet but it definately works on any other Nvidia card I have ever tried.

I tried Rivatuner and its perfect, great onscreen and/or html logs letting me monitor the GPU temp/core speeds simultaneously. Now to find out what a good running temp that will keep my card solid for awhile is.

also, the 6800 Go's seem to OC quite well, probably due to internal heat constraints, and battery life, though the system doesn't get really hot outside, when monitoring the core temps on my GPU i saw them go up to almost 70C at the OC'd rate... i'll check up again on the non-oc rate and see what it runs at, but it seems to idle at 50C i can only imagine this is a bit higher than 'normal' operationg temps but i havent really done any research yet so i'm not certain.

Korialstrasza said:
So,
XGA = LG
and UXGA = Samsung?

Yes both the LG and the Samsung are WUXGA Truebrite screens. These do indeed have very wide viewing angles. The LG has a wider viewing angle than the Samsung. They would be very similar to the ultrabright screens you see on the newer Gateways & HP's. In my opinion only Sony and Fujitsu make better screens that I have seen.

The WXGA screens that Dell uses are not the glossy Truebrite screens. As I have not used one on the 9300 I could not tell you what to expect there. I also have not paid too much attention to who makes their WXGA screens either.

Also, is anyone else having troubles with their video display driver not allowing them to change their resolution back to 1920x1200 after you use a program that automatically changes the resolution to a lower setting? i.e. 3DMark? Everytime I use 3DMark, I have to uninstall my video drivers and then re-install them or else I can't get above 120x1024.

i dont have to reintall my drivers but sometimes when i exit out of BFME it stays at 1600x1200..instaed of going back to 1920x1200..but that is easy fixed in the display options...

Some one PLEASE post a CPUZ pick of the ram speed for there 9300 i want to see fi any has there ram running at 267 or is everyones is running at 200 like mine....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

Back