Inside VR: HTC Vive 101

Thank you for the video Kyle! Unboxing the Vive (VR) was such a wicked experience. Having want to be part of the VR world ever since the never released Sega VR, it was such a treat to put the headset and escape reality!

Informative video, thanks! I was unware of the issues with reflective surfaces, use light darkening shades in my office because this rooms gets tons of sun and heats up the place too much so good coincidence there. I do have a 43" Sammy I use as a 4k monitor on the other side of the room but fortunately I've never noticed tracking issues.

So when are you going to get back into doing VR benchmarks?

Star Trek Bridge Crew?
Do you think the scaling we have seen is going to change? It has been very much static across GPUs. That said, yes, it is very much on the list.

Great video! I was pretty impressed when I got into my Vive, very easy to set up and get running.

Awesome video Kyle. Question for you though. If I get a Vive can I use the bottom mounts on the sensors to mount them from the ceiling? Or would that confuse the hell out of the system from the different orientation?

Awesome video Kyle. Question for you though. If I get a Vive can I use the bottom mounts on the sensors to mount them from the ceiling? Or would that confuse the hell out of the system from the different orientation?

As long as the lighthouses are at the proper 30-45 degree angle and they can see each other the orientation doesn't matter as they send out their own identification flash on start up and the system orients itself to where they are. So yes, you can hang them from the ceiling or put them up however fits best in the room you'll be mounting them in.

This was a very timely video as my Vive is supposed to come in today. How high would you all recommend mounting the lighthouses for the best results, and is 5 meters the maximum distance they can be apart or the maximum size of the usable area? Also, the usable area is adjustable without moving the lighthouses, correct?

From what I've heard, you can orient them any way you want, up side down, sideways, doesn't matter. They don't even have to be oriented the same. As long as they can see each other, your play area, and your hmd and controllers, you are good to go.

This was a very timely video as my Vive is supposed to come in today. How high would you all recommend mounting the lighthouses for the best results, and is 5 meters the maximum distance they can be apart or the maximum size of the usable area? Also, the usable area is adjustable without moving the lighthouses, correct?

Congrats!

I have heard that the Vive lighthouses can go up to about 8 meters apart, YMMV but 5 meters isn't a hard limit. No matter the size of the area the lighthouses you should always be between the lighthouses in direct line of sight of both. Position the lighthouses diagonally in opposite corners of your area at least 2 meters high and you should be fine.

I am pretty sure you can hang those however. I have seen pictures of them mounted sideways and "upside down" while being used.

Congrats!

I have heard that the Vive lighthouses can go up to about 8 meters apart, YMMV but 5 meters isn't a hard limit. No matter the size of the area the lighthouses you should always be between the lighthouses in direct line of sight of both. Position the lighthouses diagonally in opposite corners of your area at least 2 meters high and you should be fine.

Thank you! Why am I not surprised that you have a Vive? You always have the awesome stuff!

Thank you! Why am I not surprised that you have a Vive? You always have the awesome stuff!

I'd been out the gaming scene for a good while, I think a lot of folks go through phases like that. I'd love to constantly upgrade but that's above my pay grade plus it's nice to wait a while for the big stuff. When Kyle and others started to review VR and give it such high marks, I just had to give it a spin. I played with Gear VR a bit in store and thought that it was pretty cool but when people were saying "That's not VR." I got even more curious.

I've been gaming since I was 9. And I've played around with a lot of stuff over the years. The Vive is in class all by itself, it's provided the most fun I've ever had gaming in 40 years. If I may, one of personal favorites is Superhot VR. It's on sale on Steam for the Summer Sale. I finished it last week, kind of on the short side, I got through it in three hours with is probably longer than younger folks with better reflexes but pure fun.

I'd been out the gaming scene for a good while, I think a lot of folks go through phases like that. I'd love to constantly upgrade but that's above my pay grade plus it's nice to wait a while for the big stuff. When Kyle and others started to review VR and give it such high marks, I just had to give it a spin. I played with Gear VR a bit in store and thought that it was pretty cool but when people were saying "That's not VR." I got even more curious.

I've been gaming since I was 9. And I've played around with a lot of stuff over the years. The Vive is in class all by itself, it's provided the most fun I've ever had gaming in 40 years. If I may, one of personal favorites is Superhot VR. It's on sale on Steam for the Summer Sale. I finished it last week, kind of on the short side, I got through it in three hours with is probably longer than younger folks with better reflexes but pure fun.

I second Superhot VR. That was the first game I played after setting up my Rift + Touch set up and next thing I knew an hour and a half had gone by.

I second Superhot VR. That was the first game I played after setting up my Rift + Touch set up and next thing I knew an hour and a half had gone by.

I played the conventional version and it was pretty cool but this game is SO much better in VR even with the limitations on movement.

The Vive is why I'm finally getting back into gaming myself. I've wanted to get into VR gaming for a couple of years and was completely sold on it after demoing the Vive at a Microsoft Store a year ago. When the clerk handed the controls to me while I had the headset on and I could see them, I was completely caught off guard. The desktop in my signature (and the HTPC for that matter) had the motherboard fail so I moved over to a Sandy Bridge i3 for a while. I am still only on an Ivy Bridge quad core, but I upgraded to a GTX 1080Ti earlier this week.

I've already downloaded and installed everything I can before it gets here and have added Superhot VR to that list based on your's and Derangel's recommendation. The list so far is:
  • Accounting
  • The Brookhaven Experiment
  • Budget Cuts Demo
  • The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed
  • Google Earth VR
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
  • The Lab
  • Nvidia VR Funhouse
  • The Price of Freedom
  • Space Pirate Trainer
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew
  • Superhot VR
  • Tilt Brush
  • Trials on Tatooine

The Vive is why I'm finally getting back into gaming myself. I've wanted to get into VR gaming for a couple of years and was completely sold on it after demoing the Vive at a Microsoft Store a year ago. When the clerk handed the controls to me while I had the headset on and I could see them, I was completely caught off guard. The desktop in my signature (and the HTPC for that matter) had the motherboard fail so I moved over to a Sandy Bridge i3 for a while. I am still only on an Ivy Bridge quad core, but I upgraded to a GTX 1080Ti earlier this week.

I've already downloaded and installed everything I can before it gets here and have added Superhot VR to that list based on your's and Derangel's recommendation. The list so far is:
  • Accounting
  • The Brookhaven Experiment
  • Budget Cuts Demo
  • The Gallery - Episode 1: Call of the Starseed
  • Google Earth VR
  • Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
  • The Lab
  • Nvidia VR Funhouse
  • The Price of Freedom
  • Space Pirate Trainer
  • Star Trek: Bridge Crew
  • Superhot VR
  • Tilt Brush
  • Trials on Tatooine
Raw Data....

Without much VR benchmarking or discussion from [H]ard over the past six months or so (other than the 1080 Ti and Titan X(p) reviews) I was starting to worry that it was starting to die off. While I don't post very often, I read almost every review you guys put out.
With AMD bringing no real competition, there has not been much to look at. I imagine after we get Vega on the ground we will spin up VR testing again with new games.

Call me when they cut the amount of wires.
I remember when the dongles of the X1800/X1900 were ridiculed for being too much (even though they say behind your PC all the fucking time and didnt need to move) yet this VR wire spaghetti is a ok.
Ill wait until its mature and not just a fad for page hits.

Call me when they cut the amount of wires.
I remember when the dongles of the X1800/X1900 were ridiculed for being too much (even though they say behind your PC all the fucking time and didnt need to move) yet this VR wire spaghetti is a ok.
Ill wait until its mature and not just a fad for page hits.

What are you talking about? There's only one wire attached to my Vive HMD.

What are you talking about? There's only one wire attached to my Vive HMD.

I think he is referring to all of the wires coming into and out of the little box and the power cables for the lighthouses. The same argument for the dongles plugging into the old ATi video cards. I do dread all of the wires in my already cluttered computer area, but I'm not letting that stop me.

I think he is referring to all of the wires coming into and out of the little box and the power cables for the lighthouses. The same argument for the dongles plugging into the old ATi video cards. I do dread all of the wires in my already cluttered computer area, but I'm not letting that stop me.

That's reasonable. I've got so many wires plugged into my sig rig what have nothing to do with VR that never thought about it that way. But still, in terms of the experience we're only talking about one physical wire and yes even that one can be very problematic in scenarios that require 360 degree motion.

Back