input needed for a workstation build

cmge

Limp Gawd
trying to help a colleague build a workstation and while i dont know much about building a workstation for these functions:

-rendering 2d/3d modelling
-running revit architecture and structure
-3ds max
-microstation

so he went to local computer store in toronto, canada and was given a quote for $2500+ for a complete system..

i7-4770
asus z87-a
asus vs247h-p 23.6"
thermaltake smart power 750w
corsair vengeance 32gb (4x8gb)
pny quadro k2000
win 8.1 x64
seagate 2tb hdd
asus drw-24f1st
cooler master k280 case
generic keyboard + mouse

while i agree with some parts there are some that are questionable..

any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

As part of sticky question #1, please let use know which programs are being used.

As part of sticky question #1, please let use know which programs are being used.

3ds max and revit as mentioned in OP

more details

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2d/3d modelling using programs like 3ds max, microstation, revit

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$1500 CDN

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
canada

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
cpu, mobo, vidcard

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
no parts being reused

6) Will you be overclocking?
mild

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
new build therefore new monitor 1920 x 1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
asap

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
usb 3.0, sata 6gb/s

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
win 7 pro x64

Questions #4, #5 and #7 conflict one another. In question #4 you state that you only need a cpu, mobo and video card yet in question #5 you state that you aren't reusing anything. Even if you're running the machine naked it will still require a PSU at the least. Then when we get to question #7 you state that since this is a new build you'll need a new monitor yet question #4 doesn't state needing a new monitor.

Questions #4, #5 and #7 conflict one another. In question #4 you state that you only need a cpu, mobo and video card yet in question #5 you state that you aren't reusing anything. Even if you're running the machine naked it will still require a PSU at the least. Then when we get to question #7 you state that since this is a new build you'll need a new monitor yet question #4 doesn't state needing a new monitor.

my colleague already made up their mind in regards to the psu, ram, optical drive, keyboard + mouse, case, os, monitor

therefore the input that i require pertains to the cpu, mobo and vidcard specifically

my colleague already made up their mind in regards to the psu, ram, optical drive, keyboard + mouse, case, os, monitor
Out of curiosity, what did your colleague choose for those parts?
therefore the input that i require pertains to the cpu, mobo and vidcard specifically
Then how much of the budget is left after you've accounted for the PSU, ram, optical drive, keyboard + mouse, case, os, and monitor that your colleague chose?

Well that's nice, but that still doesn't mean you can't tell us. How do you expect me to recommend parts that are compatible with parts I know nothing about?

Not to mention are those parts part of the budget? If so, what's left over from that budget now?

Back