Battle_Rattle
Limp Gawd
- Joined
- Nov 6, 2005
- Messages
- 327
To my surprise (this being the most active forum on Displays on the net) there is no dedicated discussion of the dreaded "input lag." Yet you hear about it in many threads.
"Only go with TN Panels"
"40ms difference will get you killed"
"No way humans can even notice"
"I game fine on XXX which has 50ms input lag"
Mainly what I'm looking for is for first hand data and/or impressions across individual games across one system, with - Two different monitors.
I was a bit worried about my new monitor having Input Lag, so I have done some cursory testing comparing my old monitor vs my new monitor, both now sitting on my desk.
<Taken from my post in another thread>
So... My old primary gaming monitor is a Gateway 21inch 2185w. Many a night I have thrown up 20-8 etc. kill counts on COD4 and the like. I'm not saying im some leet gamer, just that I have had some regular success while playing (no, not camping lol.)
Ideally I need to get my hands on a CRT and try the following technique but it is a great personal comparison to compare my old monitor to my new one.
Using the following program http://tft.vanity.dk/ I cloned my monitor output to each monitor (see your Nvidia control panel if you do not know what I am talking about) and set them both up on DVI connections. Then I took pictures at a shutter speed of 2000 to determine which monitor was rendering the clock count more quickly.
Here are the results across 10 points (Taken from Canon A570 at 2000 shutter speed)
275t 2185w
:531 :563
:266 :281
:313 :324
:188 :219
:078 :110
:563 :610
:344 :375
:703 :735
:063 :094
:485 :500
Clearly the 275t is rendering the clock count more quickly. (EDIT: Actually it seems the 275t is slower, see post 11) 27ms faster on average.
Some non-binding conclusions - I do not think Input lag matters, or people adjust, or there are more significant factors while playing....
I'll continue to look for a CRT to get more accurate numbers, but I do not think this finding can be completely discarded. please discuss...
Chime in with anything and everything
"Only go with TN Panels"
"40ms difference will get you killed"
"No way humans can even notice"
"I game fine on XXX which has 50ms input lag"
Mainly what I'm looking for is for first hand data and/or impressions across individual games across one system, with - Two different monitors.
I was a bit worried about my new monitor having Input Lag, so I have done some cursory testing comparing my old monitor vs my new monitor, both now sitting on my desk.
<Taken from my post in another thread>
So... My old primary gaming monitor is a Gateway 21inch 2185w. Many a night I have thrown up 20-8 etc. kill counts on COD4 and the like. I'm not saying im some leet gamer, just that I have had some regular success while playing (no, not camping lol.)
Ideally I need to get my hands on a CRT and try the following technique but it is a great personal comparison to compare my old monitor to my new one.
Using the following program http://tft.vanity.dk/ I cloned my monitor output to each monitor (see your Nvidia control panel if you do not know what I am talking about) and set them both up on DVI connections. Then I took pictures at a shutter speed of 2000 to determine which monitor was rendering the clock count more quickly.
Here are the results across 10 points (Taken from Canon A570 at 2000 shutter speed)
275t 2185w
:531 :563
:266 :281
:313 :324
:188 :219
:078 :110
:563 :610
:344 :375
:703 :735
:063 :094
:485 :500
Clearly the 275t is rendering the clock count more quickly. (EDIT: Actually it seems the 275t is slower, see post 11) 27ms faster on average.
Some non-binding conclusions - I do not think Input lag matters, or people adjust, or there are more significant factors while playing....
I'll continue to look for a CRT to get more accurate numbers, but I do not think this finding can be completely discarded. please discuss...
Chime in with anything and everything