Info on Best 26" HD Monitors

soulz9

n00b
Can someone post the best monitors out right now a 1920 x1080 native resolution with a 26"?

thats such a loaded question... and yes, there is one, it will cost 3,000 can you afford it?

My budget is $500 - $600 and My main usage is going to be Gaming (PC and Xbox 360/PS3), and watching some movies on the TV.

Will be playing RTS, FPS, Games :)

LG W2600HP-BF /w S-IPS, though I do not know where you can buy one now.
LG has stopped manufacturing the S-IPS version.

What about
Samsung 2963HM or T260HD ? any good stuff about them?

If anyone has a good link for Blackfriday deals I would appreciate that too.

Those are TN panels.
What is your use for this monitor? Price can vary depending on your purpose.

My budget is $500 - $600 and My main usage is going to be Gaming (PC and Xbox 360/PS3), and watching some movies on the TV.

Will be playing RTS, FPS, Games :)

I just read up on the IPS and TN panels didn't really know the difference, but yeah the IPS cost way more then TN's. I would like to have an IPS but that is if it costs between $500 - $600.

I currently own Dell E228WFP, and I was looking for an Upgrade and use the Dell E228WFP as dual monitor.

Specify your purpose so someone can recommend you a monitor.
Unless you are into work that requires accuracy of colors and viewing angles you're better off with a TN panel.
TN does not suffer from lag so this is it if you're just going to game on it.

Anodize: Huh? Really? LG stopped manufacturing the S-IPS version?

I've been holding off buying it for a couple of months now, hoping to scoop a good deal, but I really want it - where did you get this info?

I tried searching to see where you found it but no luck. The monitor is still available through LG's danish distributer, but I'd rather like to know if I need to act fast. Any response appreciated.

Yes, LG no longer uses S-IPS in their 26'' LCD. W2600HP and M2600D(W2600HP w/ tv tuner) made such a big impact in Korea that you'd have wait months to receive your order from LG stores.
The reason to this is because the stocks are drying up and LG has replaced the panel with TN. It will no longer be called "W2600HP-BF."
Call your distributor as you may still get the S-IPS version if you're lucky. Check "BF" at the end of the model number.

Anodize: Huh? Really? LG stopped manufacturing the S-IPS version?

I've been holding off buying it for a couple of months now, hoping to scoop a good deal, but I really want it - where did you get this info?

I tried searching to see where you found it but no luck. The monitor is still available through LG's danish distributer, but I'd rather like to know if I need to act fast. Any response appreciated.

Thanks a lot for your replies anodize.

Well I want a decent monitor that has a fast ms and crisp picture quality for games thats about it. I won't do any photo editing anything in that genre. What I am looking for is a 26" 1920x1080 so I can play games on that Res and I will be able to play XBOX 360 + PS3. Hopefully that helps.

Thanks for the response Anodize. I'll have to spring for it now then.
At least waiting lobbed off 10% of the price. I guess that's something.

soulz9:
There's no easy answer to your question. I don't believe there are any 1920x1080 monitors that fit the bill. If you don't mind 1920x1200, then there are some options, and many of those have circuits that allow them to display 1920x1080 with black bars on top and bottom, making for slightly less than 26" of viewable 1920x1080 goodness. This is the first compromize I would make.

I can't recommend a TN panel because with 26" monitor size the color of the pixels will be different on each eye, which is really annoying when you use it for anything where the contrast between the colours isn't tremendous. You can alleviate by sitting further back, but that gives eyestrain in return when you're not watching movies and playing games. So that leaves these options (that I know of):

Dell 2709W
NEC LCD2690WUXi
LG W2600HP-BF

Of those, the dell has a 3 fps input lag, the NEC had a 1-2 fps input lag, and the LG has a 0(-1?)fps input lag. You'll have to choose between those, but obviously, low input lag is the most important quality when it comes to responsiveness in games.

Also, I can't make any guarantees as to wether the screens will actually be able to do black bars on the PS3 and xbox360 so the image will look correctly. I believe the LG and NEC are able, don't know about the dell but it would suprise me if it wasn't.

The NEC is a very good overall display though, so it really comes down to whether you can find the LG W2600HP-BF, whether you can afford the NEC and you can live with the lag, if you need to get something now, and your own research on how it works with the ps3 and 360.

Personally, I'm almost in your exact situation, and I'm getting the LG W2600HP-BF because it seems like the best deal, and because I live in Denmark, where some displays aren't available. But then, the LG isn't available in the US at all, so your geographical location might also have an impact on your options.

They are all out of question because of his budget. The NEC 26'' is over $1000 and Dell is about $750. NEC does not offer multimedia interfaces at all.
I would recommend the LG 26'' if you can manage to find one.
Have you thought about 24'' monitors? You lose 2'' of space but a whole lot of more options.
HP LP2475W is S-IPS, offers a variety of ports for your consoles, and can be had for about $600 or possibly less if you get in those hot deals.

If your Xbox 360 is HDMI I would recommend:

1) HP LP2475W - dunno about VGA 360. > S-IPS
2) BenQ FP241VW - works well on all connectors (component, HDMI, VGA). > A-MVA
3) BenQ V2400W - does not work as well with VGA 360 (1920x1080 is stretched) > TN
4) Samsung T260HD. Will work fine with Xbox, has a fair bit of input lag as reported, but works. (also TN)

All are 24" with 1920x1200, only the 260HD is 26". Stick with 24"
The first three choices are above average PC gaming monitors and support at least two digital connectors (HDMI and/or DVI).

The NEC LCD2490/2690 can do black bars on 360 with both VGA and (HDMI to) DVI for perfect ratio scaling and pixel perfect display.

Dell with VGA or HDMI also works well with proper aspect ratio and no overscan for pixel perfect display. Input lag is about the same as the T260HD. Neither is a great PC gaming monitor for high speed FPS gaming, but for consoles should be fine. I have the 2709W and am very happy with its console gaming prowess.

T260HD owner here & whatever lag people are talking about I must not be seeing. Then again every display of mine is Samsung :rolleyes:

Thank you all, that helps a lot. From this information I will try to find those monitors locally and take a look at them and see which one I like.

If your Xbox 360 is HDMI I would recommend:

1) HP LP2475W - dunno about VGA 360. > S-IPS
2) BenQ FP241VW - works well on all connectors (component, HDMI, VGA). > A-MVA
3) BenQ V2400W - does not work as well with VGA 360 (1920x1080 is stretched) > TN
4) Samsung T260HD. Will work fine with Xbox, has a fair bit of input lag as reported, but works. (also TN)

All are 24" with 1920x1200, only the 260HD is 26". Stick with 24"
The first three choices are above average PC gaming monitors and support at least two digital connectors (HDMI and/or DVI).

The NEC LCD2490/2690 can do black bars on 360 with both VGA and (HDMI to) DVI for perfect ratio scaling and pixel perfect display.

Dell with VGA or HDMI also works well with proper aspect ratio and no overscan for pixel perfect display. Input lag is about the same as the T260HD. Neither is a great PC gaming monitor for high speed FPS gaming, but for consoles should be fine. I have the 2709W and am very happy with its console gaming prowess.

Did you try FPS gaming on the 2709W?

What do you guys think of DS-265W it has an IPS panel? Any cons and prons?

I'd search for the actual 265W thread, it's around here somewhere.

Compared to the 263N, its a downgrade. The only thing I can see wrong with my 263N is that it 1) broke once already :( (only 3 months in, oh god will it survive 3+ years?), 2) the bars at the top/bottom of my 1920x1080 signal over the DVI-I are not totally black, they still have a purplish hue, annoying when watching blu ray movies with non-16:9 ratios.

I found the thread and what I understood from it, its an IPS panel in a cheap quality frame. Do you know anything of the Hazro HZ26W, well I can't get it until it is released in the US I've read good things about it.
I never tried an IPS panel, I've always owned a TN panel from what I read they suck :D.

So right now what I am looking for is an 26" IPS, I'm not sure if I want to really get a 24" since I'm planning to spend around $500 - $700 on an IPS and 24" is similar to 22" which I already own but a TN Panel.

So I might just wait till the Hazro arrives to USA.

That may take a year or two, perhaps never.
I think 24'' is the way to go at the moment as getting a decent 26'' is just difficult, unless you can enlarge your budget.

I might actually consider getting the HP LP2475W it has decent specs :D.

Any idea when will they start making decent 26" IPS panel's with a larger variety?

No, the reality is they are discontinuing the 26'' IPS panel. It's going to get harder and harder to find. Hence even LG, the manufacturer, is replacing their IPS version of 26'' with TN.
I am sure you will be satisfied with the HP 24''. Look in to ebay and make sure you get 25% cashback with live search. It's an awesome deal and hard to pass by.

I might actually consider getting the HP LP2475W it has decent specs :D.

Any idea when will they start making decent 26" IPS panel's with a larger variety?

Anodize do you suggest waiting for BlackFriday sales? or that will not really effect the HP LP2475W price?

What do you suggest between Dell 2709W or HP LP2475W?

I know that HP is IPS and Dell 2709W is an VA, but the thing is I've never seen an IPS nor an VA screen and since they are way better then TN, do you think I would notice a lot of lag in FPS gaming with DELL 2709W. And I would like to see your comment on these monitors.

Just opened up the 2709w I ordered for my brother.
I am impressed so far. This monitor is huge. I do not see any lag. I played a little bit of CS and it played just fine.
So if you can enlarge your budget just a little more, then this is definitely a nice option.

Sweet, congrats on the TV. I'm thinking of getting Dell 2709W works perfectly with my budget.

I am thinking of ordering it from Dell.com, what do u suggest? do they have a good return policy if I have dead pixels etc.? and if u find out something u dislike please update me. Thanks a lot, I'll be waiting for your reply.

Dell offers great services. You can return if you don't like it for any reason.
I ordered from ebay because of cashback. Less than $500 total was too good to pass up and I get the same 3 year standard warranty with Dell. Make sure the warranty is transferred to you.
If you decide to order from Dell, look into coupons. Dell seems to offer 10-20% coupons frequently.

Dell offers great services. You can return if you don't like it for any reason.
I ordered from ebay because of cashback. Less than $500 total was too good to pass up and I get the same 3 year standard warranty with Dell. Make sure the warranty is transferred to you.
If you decide to order from Dell, look into coupons. Dell seems to offer 10-20% coupons frequently.

Can you link your EBAY seller and how did you get it for less than $500 total? Thats a crazy deal. Did you notice any dead pixels yet? I'm planning to get the Dell I've decided :D

Can you link your EBAY seller and how did you get it for less than $500 total? Thats a crazy deal. Did you notice any dead pixels yet? I'm planning to get the Dell I've decided :D

Go to ebay and search for Dell 2709w and check the cashback thread on hot deals section to learn how to get your cashback. You need to use buy now and paypal to pay to get your cashback.

I am running it uncalibrated until I get a calibrator next month. I've ran 2 instances of monitor4u screen test utility and couldn't find any dead pixel. I saw a little back light leaking on top right corner.

For some reason I can't see the 25% cashback on none of those 4 Ebay sellers. Was your purchase the last 25% cashback?

cashback is for all buy now items. You should see them. Make sure you follow the steps carefully.

1) go live.com
2) search for "dell 3007wfp" and you should see a banner on the top displaying 25% cashback on ebay. Click that as it will take you to ebay. Search for "dell 2709w" and use buy it now.
3) ebay will PM you with further instruction.

I bought mine when it was at 30%.

Sweet thanks man. Just ordered mine Total price was $561.75 with Free Shipping and 3 Year Dell Warranty. :D

Hopefully it doesn't have any dead pixels.

What's the general consensus on text reading on an IPS panel compared to *VA or TN?

Right now I'm using a P-MVA 24" Soyo, which I "upgraded" to from a Mitsubishi 2070 CRT. I hate the Soyo, I don't know if it's the panel type or the brightness, but I have terrible eyestrain with this monitor compared to the Mitsubishi.

I'm very seriously considering pulling the trigger on an NEC 2690 this week, although it's a bit more than I'd really like to spend, just to get a panel that's closer to a CRT and hopefully easier on my eyes.

How strong is your brightness? Have you tried reducing the brightness/contrast?
It seems your problem is not the monitor itself, but calibration. Most monitors come stressful to your eyes.

What's the general consensus on text reading on an IPS panel compared to *VA or TN?

Right now I'm using a P-MVA 24" Soyo, which I "upgraded" to from a Mitsubishi 2070 CRT. I hate the Soyo, I don't know if it's the panel type or the brightness, but I have terrible eyestrain with this monitor compared to the Mitsubishi.

I'm very seriously considering pulling the trigger on an NEC 2690 this week, although it's a bit more than I'd really like to spend, just to get a panel that's closer to a CRT and hopefully easier on my eyes.

How strong is your brightness? Have you tried reducing the brightness/contrast?
It seems your problem is not the monitor itself, but calibration. Most monitors come stressful to your eyes.

I've played with the settings quite a bit trying to get it to the point where it doesn't give me headaches and bother my eyes, and it has helped somewhat, but not nearly enough. It basically seems like the eyestrain I experience is significantly worse with the Soyo compared to either the 19" Samsung TN I have on another system, or the Mitsu CRT I was using previously.

Back