Infants 'Unable To Use Toy Blocks' Due To iPad Addiction

gb01.jpg

1989?

Pretty sure the discussion is sort of centered around touch devices, which is what I was specifically talking about. Had you actually read what I wrote you may have noticed that.

Further to the point not everyone owned a game boy, certainly infants were unable to play any game made for the gameboy, they do not have the dexterity required and the games made at that time were much more difficult than modern day mobile games for android and iOS.

But nice try.

When I was 10 my folks would kick my ass out the door and tell me not to come back until it was dark. If I was up to know good it would travel at the speed of light via the grapevine and there would be hell to pay when I got home. Sadly doing either of these things nowadays would end up with a visit from the CPS fairy.

My parents had a 25k life insurance plan on me hoping never came back home.:D

My kid is about to turn 4 months old. I am determined to have him grow up playing with the things I did as a kid that have endless creative possibilities. Tinker toys, Lincoln logs, lego's and physical motion toys like a train set. Yeah sure he will have an electronic device of some kind since I play PC games and he likes to watch, but it somewhat worries how much the very young have their neck stuck into phones and tablets these days.

You should get some kind of parent of the year award. :cool:

So bad parenting is now Apple's Fault too?

Classic.

Yup, the mindset is to target them while they are young so they build brand recognition. Normal business practice. Colorful games, toddler activities, interactive story books etc. all geared towards getting them hooked on it. Addiction is big money.

Look at tobacco companies and McDonalds, fruit flavour cigarettes and happy meal toys respectively to entice kids to keep wanting them. Until something catastrphic happens like people getting obese or start having lung cancer, or in this case, failure to demonstrate proper fine-motor functions, the cycle will continue.

this is just bad and lazy parenting. give the kid an ipad to shut it up and keep it busy, instead of putting in more effort,

these kids are going to be effed up and will be a huge drain on the rest of us.

The problem with parenting/schooling system nowdays is the mentality that everyone must be rewarded and no one must be made to feel like a failure or lacking in any respect. You're fine just as you are, there's no need to improve, better yourself, aspire to be more. Its all total bs. Spend your youth on FB, twitter etc wasting your time and thinking you have a 'network'. Then they grow up, face the real world and economy, and find out harsh realities of life.

The problem with parenting/schooling system nowdays is the mentality that everyone must be rewarded and no one must be made to feel like a failure or lacking in any respect. You're fine just as you are, there's no need to improve, better yourself, aspire to be more. Its all total bs. Spend your youth on FB, twitter etc wasting your time and thinking you have a 'network'. Then they grow up, face the real world and economy, and find out harsh realities of life.

Yeap. The general pussification of our entire society. People need to fail in order to stand themselves back up.

Pretty sure the discussion is sort of centered around touch devices, which is what I was specifically talking about. Had you actually read what I wrote you may have noticed that.

Further to the point not everyone owned a game boy, certainly infants were unable to play any game made for the gameboy, they do not have the dexterity required and the games made at that time were much more difficult than modern day mobile games for android and iOS.

But nice try.

I dunno, I don't really actually read posts people make so sure, if you wanna get picky about this device or that device instead of just admitting you're waving your cane and saying, "Back in my day..." or "This whole daggum place is going to hell in a handbasket with those darn kids these days!"

my 3 year old loves to build shit, and he owns my score in temple run... I guess mines an acception?

Yours is not an acceptation, I think that yours and mine are the new norm. My 3 year old, (she just turned 3) can operate a tablet better than I can. She is also very capable of using my PC in which I have Linux with Openbox as the window manager. She does show interest in Lego's and other building blocks. She has a great memory and can count to 12, and has all of her alphabet down pat. She can also name all the major colors and even some minor ones like cyan. She also has an active imaginations, plays with dolls, love the outdoors. She has also been using a tablet since she was 1. Is she the acceptation? I don't think so. I think that article was BS.

I dunno, I don't really actually read posts people make so sure, if you wanna get picky about this device or that device instead of just admitting you're waving your cane and saying, "Back in my day..." or "This whole daggum place is going to hell in a handbasket with those darn kids these days!"

Well, at least this time you responded by actually typing some words rather than posting a picture and a year with a question mark, that is a step forward for you.

I don't think I'm waving a cane, there actually is a substantial difference between the tech available now and how far it has penetrated every demographic as well as how far entrenched into peoples lives it has become. If you'd like to actually argue that point with me you are more than welcome to. Or you can continue on just posting for the sake of it. Your choice.

Well, at least this time you responded by actually typing some words rather than posting a picture and a year with a question mark, that is a step forward for you.

I don't think I'm waving a cane, there actually is a substantial difference between the tech available now and how far it has penetrated every demographic as well as how far entrenched into peoples lives it has become. If you'd like to actually argue that point with me you are more than welcome to. Or you can continue on just posting for the sake of it. Your choice.

Of course there's more stuff and its easier to get, but I don't think it really changes anything. Kids either grow up as big fat dumb-face-heads or they don't and that's up to parents to decide. It has almost nothing to do with whether or not people interact with a computer using a touchscreen or a few buttons and that's been true for as long as there have been adults raising little munchkins. I think if you look at people, you can kinda see who would and wouldn't be a good parent but since becoming a parent is the easiest thing ever and avoiding it is super hard, even horrible, awful losers make them and mess up at raising them. The techie stuff has nothing to do with that.

as an advocate for a specific type of film, I find your use of the term "midgets" as a derogatory/demeaning word to be both insensitive and reckless.

Of course there's more stuff and its easier to get, but I don't think it really changes anything. Kids either grow up as big fat dumb-face-heads or they don't and that's up to parents to decide. It has almost nothing to do with whether or not people interact with a computer using a touchscreen or a few buttons and that's been true for as long as there have been adults raising little munchkins. I think if you look at people, you can kinda see who would and wouldn't be a good parent but since becoming a parent is the easiest thing ever and avoiding it is super hard, even horrible, awful losers make them and mess up at raising them. The techie stuff has nothing to do with that.

I actually agree with most of what you said. But I do think that the kinds of devices available today do make it easier for terrible parents to ruin their children in new ways. The biggest issue I see is what this article points out, its that the devices have not only become easier to get and there is more of it, its easier to use. Its also more acceptable these days to allow very young children to play with electronics, just look in this thread. Parents talking about their infant children playing with tablets and watching them play games, and I doubt all of them are bad parents.

I actually agree with most of what you said. But I do think that the kinds of devices available today do make it easier for terrible parents to ruin their children in new ways. The biggest issue I see is what this article points out, its that the devices have not only become easier to get and there is more of it, its easier to use. Its also more acceptable these days to allow very young children to play with electronics, just look in this thread. Parents talking about their infant children playing with tablets and watching them play games, and I doubt all of them are bad parents.

Well, I'm not qualified to really say what someone is doing with their kids or anything, but I don't think having access to or using any sort of electronics is an instant sign of horribad parenting. Giving something like that to a child and having it slow down or prevent their development really is a problem though. Even with wide availability, it's up to people to make decisions about what their kids do.

What I was kinda trying to imply with the random ancient 1980s era game boy thing is that parents of other generations were giving their kids stuff so they could make them be quite and ignorable long before now and that I don't really think we're any better or worse off than before since there's probably about the same um...distributed strata of parenting across the "OMG is that vodka in that baby bottle?!" to "making future world leaders" spectrum as there has always been. Its not unique to us just because we have touchscreen tablets all over the place.

Should have went with a Windows Tablet. Could have had all the toy block practice then needed, and to take them right into adulthood where, apparently, the ability to manipulate colored blocks is now deemed important and useful.

As a 42 year old, watching young people raise children, I've seen the decline of creativity in young children. As a disclaimer, this is just anecdotal of what I see.

Technology has laid out what they should see in their mind's eye right out in front of them with no effort. Creativity leads to imaginative solutions to everyday problems. Thinking outside the box to solve a solution in a video game really isn't because though it may be coded to be solved in different ways, it was all pre-planned.

I'm also a father of a new 9-month old (yes at 42 years of age). What I've learned is that the best thing to do is be interactive with a child and enter the child's imagination without the fancy techo-gizmos and electronics. I am also father to a 20 year old, a 24 year old, and a 28 year old, and a grandfather to a 3 year old, a 5 year old, and a 7 year old.

I'm disheartened when I babysit my grand-children. They are obsessed with tablets and video games. Their attention cannot be held for more than 5 minutes without it, and when I introduce something that isn't plugged-in, they slog through it like zombies. Their imagination is almost non-existent, it's incredibly sad. When I babysit the 3 year old, I read to her ever chance I get. We even sit sometimes and play tea-party sipping fake tea with our imaginative guests.

Young parents are either lazy, busy, or a combination of the two, and find the path to least resistance when raising their children. Throwing them a tablet, phone, sitting them in front of the tv, etc is too easy.

Children need creativity, imagination, challenges, they need to fail, they need to succeed, they need to fall and pick themselves up by themselves. People only grow stronger by their failures and the ability to overcome them. If not, we truly are headed into a world of a weaker generation.

Should have went with a Windows Tablet. Could have had all the toy block practice then needed, and to take them right into adulthood where, apparently, the ability to manipulate colored blocks is now deemed important and useful.

What's always struck me about the debate over the modern UI is how instantly kids pick it up. My wife as babysitting her 4 year old niece this past Saturday. I let her play with one of my Windows 8 tablets and off she went for hours, all I did was show her the Windows button. And yet on that same device has a full version of Office 2013 and Visual Studio 2013 installed. It will be interesting what happens when the Start Menu returns as then a Windows 8 tablet could be a device that does take one through adulthood, working just like any mobile OS tablet when wanted and just like a Windows 7 desktop, even a Start Menu, when wanted.

As much as people say that a tablet UI has no place in a desktop UI that tablet UI does make a device with a lot of functionally initially approachable even to children.

What's always struck me about the debate over the modern UI is how instantly kids pick it up. My wife as babysitting her 4 year old niece this past Saturday. I let her play with one of my Windows 8 tablets and off she went for hours, all I did was show her the Windows button. And yet on that same device has a full version of Office 2013 and Visual Studio 2013 installed. It will be interesting what happens when the Start Menu returns as then a Windows 8 tablet could be a device that does take one through adulthood, working just like any mobile OS tablet when wanted and just like a Windows 7 desktop, even a Start Menu, when wanted.

As much as people say that a tablet UI has no place in a desktop UI that tablet UI does make a device with a lot of functionally initially approachable even to children.
And if I wanted a Fisher Price computer and occasionally liked to still put random objects or the corner of my screen in my mouth because I was a drooling subadult with an undereveloped brain, I'm sure I would like the WIndows 8 UI.

Since I'm a power-user, it just gets in the way of higher level productivity.

And if I wanted a Fisher Price computer and occasionally liked to still put random objects or the corner of my screen in my mouth because I was a drooling subadult with an undereveloped brain, I'm sure I would like the WIndows 8 UI.

Think about what you just said there. Do you actually think that Microsoft cares about higher level productivity? If you're "smart enough" to operate Windows 8, but still "dumb enough" to rely on someone else to do the productive work, you're their target audience :D

As far as this study is concerned, it may hamper the development of certain motor and/or spatial visualization skills, but eventually the people with the abilities will dominate the positions where these skills are necessary. As previous posters have mentioned, those skills are becoming less necessary as machinery replaces human labor.

The study is not significantly more useful than a study where someone took children from some third-world country and gave them touch-screen devices only to realize that they lacked the hand-eye coordination to use them as effectively as those that started earlier (i.e. first-worlders like most of us), but were likely better in the areas where our children are lacking (i.e. spatial visualization).

When this will become really interesting is when there is a massive worldwide catastrophe like a massive solar flare that fries the majority of electronic devices. At that point in time, the people with the talent for hands-on creativity will be able to use that to their advantage while the others wither and die. Evolutionists should be very happy - this is Darwin's wet dream in action.

Solution: Quit giving small children unlimited access to tablets. They don't need to be playing on them all day, every day.

I was talking about the announced future update that brings back the Start Menu to 8.1, so I'm not exactly sure how one would achieve a higher lever of productivity between Windows 7 and 8.1 with a Start Menu with desktop applications since they would work on the desktop almost identically. Even without the Start Menu, the vast majority of productive work done the desktop is done in applications, not the Start Menu or Start Screen.

Solution: Quit giving small children unlimited access to tablets. They don't need to be playing on them all day, every day.

Yep. My kids actually have their own tablets. (Eff letting them use mine :D ) However, they do NOT use them all day. They read books on them (and real books,) play games, when we let them, they go outside and play, they draw, they ride bikes, build things with Legos, etc. just like I did when I was a kid. I had a C64 from the time I was 5 and I SEEM to have turned out ok. We're a technology house, I admit, but I can't even imagine what it would be like to grow up without doing all the things I did when I was a kid, so I make them do those things as well. Actually more often than not, they choose the other things on their own. And then, sometimes they feel like playing video games together, or with me. I'd say it's a pretty healthy mix. The only thing they don't have living in the city is the 5 acres of woods and miles of dirt logging roads and motorcycles I had as a kid. Well, actually they do when they go to my parents' house, but not on a daily basis.

Anyway, tablets don't hurt anyone if they're not glued to them constantly. My 3 year old knows how to use them, but she also has a huge case of Duplos and is constantly bringing me VERY cool structures. My 13 year old plays select basketball on a team that's third in state. He breathes sports, but still like to play games. He's been exposed to everything the rest of them (and I have) his whole life. But look what he chooses to do.

And yes, babysitting aids are ok once in a while. A little human interaction never hurts though either. :D

Back