Infamous: Second Son

The more and more I see of this (and after playing the previous games) the more and more I think they could learn from Rocksteady.

I was thinking of getting this game but after watching the video I lost all interest. If it averages over a 9/10 on reviews I'll pick it up. Otherwise I'll just wait for better games.

This is the problem I have with sandbox games (including GTA). Graphics are getting better, but the gameplay seems to be stuck in 2002.

Originally had this pre-ordered but I think I'm gonna cancel now.

I didn't watch the posted video but Destructiod had the same demo on their live show last week and I watched that. I made me more excited for the game. I liked the first two games and from what they've shown and what they're talking about makes me want the third one even more. I really love the effects on the powers and I have to wonder what other ones you will get.

This is the problem I have with sandbox games (including GTA). Graphics are getting better, but the gameplay seems to be stuck in 2002.

Originally had this pre-ordered but I think I'm gonna cancel now.

What type of gameplay are you expecting??

I watched a little of it and it looks like fun. A Gamefly rental at the very least.

Yea I just watched it, it definitely looks better in a video where someone knows how to actually play. Probably pick this up day 1 now after reviews.
Yeah, it does. Made a huge difference seeing it played by someone who has used a controller before.

Definitely looking forward to Second Son. Those particle effects are so pretty and the game looks fun.

Ok, the 2nd video does make the game look better. I'll still wait for reviews though. Curious to see how many hours of gameplay this has and the variety of powers and just how much fun it is. Graphics do look amazing.

Can't wait for this one. Was a huge fan of the other two. Graphics look awesome as well.

This game is going to be awesome. Should be a system seller if it lives up to billing.

Looks awesome but like the original. I probably won't like aiming and it'll ruin the game for me. Need this on PC, damn it.

1980s purples like Farcry 3 Blood Dragon :)
Basic 3rd person/superhero game..looks like it's not running smoothly and would get boring fast. The effects are pretty but will annoy me after a while. I can't stand the main character either. To bad I guess I was expecting to much..I'll rent it sometime.

Edit: whoa $70 in Canada, some relatives of mine will be shitting pants and passing. Thats like $75 with taxes up there.

Last edited:
Has there been any mention on how long it will take to finish the main story?
I really enjoyed the PS3 games but felt they almost got a little long in the tooth. Especially when doing all of the side missions.

Has there been any mention on how long it will take to finish the main story?
I really enjoyed the PS3 games but felt they almost got a little long in the tooth. Especially when doing all of the side missions.

Infamous 1 and 2 was around 8hrs for the main story. I would assume it would be around the same

1980s purples like Farcry 3 Blood Dragon :)
Basic 3rd person/superhero game..looks like it's not running smoothly and would get boring fast. The effects are pretty but will annoy me after a while. I can't stand the main character either. To bad I guess I was expecting to much..I'll rent it sometime.

Edit: whoa $70 in Canada, some relatives of mine will be shitting pants and passing. Thats like $75 with taxes up there.

Don't judge a games performance based on a Youtube video

Man I really wish I hadn't missed that ebay deal for the game 52 shipped since people are already playing it. :/ But if I really wanted it there are a few places here that break the street date for a bit extra on top.

Day one patch.

Full 1.01 Patch Notes:

Cole's Legacy Content Pack
FREE with pre-order
Explore the events immediately following inFAMOUS 2
Work with an investigative reporter to understand the source of conduit powers
4 story missions, approximately 1 hour of gameplay

inFAMOUS Paper Trail Storyline
FREE bonus missions and exclusive web content
Innovative online and in-game story arc co-developed by Sucker Punch and 42 Entertainment
Manga and murder, follow the trail of origami doves to discover the full story behind the D.U.P.'s occupation of Seattle.
19 story missions and corresponding web-based investigations, approximately 5 hours of unique gameplay.

Difficulty Balance
Normal difficulty has been slightly increased to challenge the player’s mastery of their powers
Expert difficulty has been fine-tuned to ensure it is the best experience for skilled gamers
Karma progression extended to support longer playtime

Boss Fights
The boss fights have been re-tuned for difficulty and fun
More dynamic boss behaviors and attacks

Pedestrians and DUPs
Engine performance tweaks to allow for more life and activity in the city
Increased pedestrian and traffic density and variety
Increased pedestrian-related karmic opportunities
Post-story enemy activity and D.U.P. raids

Technical Improvements
Graphics and performance improvements
Fixes for a small number of infrequent blocking bugs
PSN integration to support Paper Trail DLC

Not sure what other sites have posted reviews, but ign gives it an 8.7. Downsides were some issues with the morality system.

cant wait to pick it up tomorrow! reviews are looking good. Loved the first game. Hopefully I didn't miss to much of the storyline since I skipped part 2....

cant wait to pick it up tomorrow! reviews are looking good. Loved the first game. Hopefully I didn't miss to much of the storyline since I skipped part 2....

From what I've read you don't need to know anything about prior games for this one. Though there is one thing to note- The game follows off of both previous game's good ending so
Cole is dead
Apparently the preorder stuff deals with events between 2 and Second Son.

From what I can gather from reviews and a bit of live streaming , this Infamous is attempting to offer a more serious tone and story but really it's just another sandbox game at its core however its pretty and it makes you feel like a superhero or a bad guy.

Sony has a lot riding on this game in some ways. Its the first AAA exclusive to PS4 game to launch outside the system release window.

However you have to keep in mind that this game is from the Sly Cooper guys. You are not going to get TLOU level of story. You are not going to be seeing them doing anything new/different with the sandbox gaming genre. I love Sly Cooper , it was one of the best gaming series on the PS2. But this game is quite ambitious.

I'm picking it up. For the gameplay really. I know the voice acting is well done and the story is reasonable but I think the gameplay mechanics are what really attracts me.

From what I've read you don't need to know anything about prior games for this one. Though there is one thing to note- The game follows off of both previous game's good ending so
Cole is dead
Apparently the preorder stuff deals with events between 2 and Second Son.

Thanks for the info.... ohhh that spoiler! haha. ;) assumed that would happen

I'm about 2 hours in and this game is awesome. By far the best looking next gen game and the voice overs and story so far are great. My only complaint is that I wish there was some sort of aim assist for when you're firing at enemies.

I gave in and bought it from the playstation store and queued it up for download all while at work. Wish they had that functionality years ago. Hopefully it is d/led by the time I get home.

All the reviews I have read have pretty minor complaints on the game. I'm not quite sure why it's averaging only an 80 on metacritic based on the complaints. I guess I'll find out myself soon enough.

I gave in and bought it from the playstation store and queued it up for download all while at work. Wish they had that functionality years ago. Hopefully it is d/led by the time I get home.

All the reviews I have read have pretty minor complaints on the game. I'm not quite sure why it's averaging only an 80 on metacritic based on the complaints. I guess I'll find out myself soon enough.

inFamous has always been a series that gets mixed reviews. I loved 1 and 2, and so far Second Son is really damn good but I can understand people not liking them. The controls are still a little finicky, it's still not really clear what you can and can't climb, the morality system is as basic as you can get, and so on but beyond that it is just really fun to play and feels like an advancement of the series. Sucker Punch was allowed to make a game that was just a better inFamous instead of being forced to make it accessible to everyone and it shows.

Love my PS4, and admittedly possibly a sony fanboy (even tho i buy every system), but this game does NOTHING for me. Graphics look solid, but Infamous1-2 were such a bore to play, and even tho reviews have been great so far, the gameplay just doesnt do it for me to buy. I dont see it being a system seller.

Love my PS4, and admittedly possibly a sony fanboy (even tho i buy every system), but this game does NOTHING for me. Graphics look solid, but Infamous1-2 were such a bore to play, and even tho reviews have been great so far, the gameplay just doesnt do it for me to buy. I dont see it being a system seller.

As much as I like the game I agree. It's really not the type of game to push a system. It is nice to have something to play on my PS4 though.

I like it so far I played for a few hours. The only thing is the controls seem a bit off though. I guess it's similar to the first two games, but Cole felt less floaty than the new guy I guess is the best way to put it. When this new guy jumps he like floats all the time like has no weight at all (even in the beginning where he has no powers) so it just looks weird to me. Also the camera seems fixed over the right shoulder. In the previous two games you could press L3 to toggle between over the shoulder left or right so you could aim better if you went behind cover. I don't know why they took that out but it really feels wrong not to have it in the game. The decisions are very red and blue ;) and nothing in between. I was kind of hoping they'd do more with it this time around. Well if you liked the first 2 games you'll like this as so far it plays very similarly to the first 2, but I think control wise, the first two were better.

I'm having some fun with it and the story seems interesting, but just like both INfamous 1 and 2 the actual gameplay seems to be super super repetitive.

I mean it's like the map is broken up into "zones" and in each zone it's the exact same 4 or so missions repeated over and over and over. Just as bad as the AC games are.

Can open world games not think of something different? Does anyone find doing the same thing over and over fun? i'd much rather they spent the time doing all of that on unique gameplay elements spread throughout the game.

Graphics wise it's probably the best "next gen" game on either console atm. Also the facial animations are amazing (it looks like they used LA Noire/Avatar style facial motion tracking).

Combat is fun and the story missions are fun, it's just having to do the repetitive boring "zone" missions that are dragging the game down for me (and you HAVE to do them in order to "unlock" the zone and open a fast travel point for that area.

Look at a game like Skyrim, an example of a good open world game that doesn't drag itself down with tasking you to do the same repetitive things over and over, just lots of interesting quests and places to explore. I don't see why games like Infamous and virtually all Ubisoft games (Far Cry, AC, Watch dogs) can't offer this kind of gameplay instead of forcing yout o play the same thing over and over.

Overall I am really impressed, I did not like Infamous 1 or 2 but this one seems to be growing on me. Obviously the graphics are incredible but my main issue was always the gameplay and for the most part they addressed it.

I would consider it close to being a system seller but it's not quite there. Maybe they can do some more patching to address some of my various complaints

• Building climbing not as smooth as it could be.
  • Variable framerate should be a choice in the options.
  • More variety in vehicles would be nice.
  • Old control scheme from Infamous 1 and 2 would be welcome mainly L2, I find myself always trying to go for that as opposed to the touchpad.
  • Drones need to be fixed in a patch, many of them are on the ground or stuck.

I guess technically you couldn't be a system seller anyway, there has to be systems in stock for it to be a system seller and apparently they (Sony) expect it to be hard to find until June now.

Back