in the crossroad again, i5 2405s+h67+q08 or i7 2600K+m4gz+v354?

weipim

Limp Gawd
Hey all, so as I grabbed a few parts like the corsair AX850 and Powercolor 6970 2gb, I feel like i'm getting closer and closer to my new build. However as I am approaching to the end, choices are popping up more often then I expected.

The main use for this build are 24/7 streaming htpc, light gaming, living room will be the location.

I know a 2405s +8gb is more than enough for my use, but something in me [H] tells me that I need to hit the ROG set up...

really hard to balance between power consumption and performance

The 2405S would be more then enough power, built a couple pentium g620 rigs now and they are faster then the overclocked q9400 quad core rigs I made a few people a couple years ago.

The 2405S would be more then enough power, built a couple pentium g620 rigs now and they are faster then the overclocked q9400 quad core rigs I made a few people a couple years ago.

Lolll what a coincidence, I came from a q9400 8gb ddr2 hacintosh as well,

I had the 2500K for a while last month and it was totally amazing, however a part in me wanted to go for 2600K and put this thing in my room, another part says I should leave it in the living room and let everyone use it. the pc is totally mine btw

You don't need to hit up the ROG setup unles you're actually planning doing some overclocking. Considering that you want a balance between power consumption and performance, overclocking is something you don't want to do.

There's also a bit of a dichotomy with your purchases: You're only doing "light gaming" and want to "balance between power consumption and performance". The purchase of the HD 6970 2GB negates everything you've just said. So unless you got that HD 6970 2GB for a super low price, are you trying to be wishy-washy and trying to rationalize your poor purchase choice or are you going to be real and just abandon any pretense of "light gaming" and "balance between power consumption and performance" Believe me, the HD 6970 2GB will throw out that balance right quick.

Your exact words are "streaming htpc, light gaming". As such, no reason to get the 2600K unless it's not that much more expensive than the Core i5 2400, 2405S, Core i5 2300, or Core i5 2500K and you have money to burn.

If you live near a MicroCenter you can get the i5 2400 for $150. None of the online stores have had it for that little. I bought mine when I was visiting family up in N. Georgia. Wish they had MC stores in FL. They have some really good cpu and mobo sales.

Back