IN regards to the front page xp article...

Should XP's life be extended?

• Total voters
Other

Vista has gotten comfortable within the consumer arena, but many businesses are still using XP, and many consumers are using both. I dual boot, but I find myself using XP more because I know what works with it, and sometimes with Vista you don't know if an app is going to install and work properly. Plus my Logitech keyboard uses iTouch, which Logitech no longer updates, so the special keys and functions won't work under Vista.

Soon Vista will become the next XP, and businesses will eventually migrate. Will be several years, though, I'm sure. I see myself hanging onto my XP Pro CDs for a long time, and I plan to always have an XP machine around.

Once I get my Palit 9600GT Sonic, I'll probably try some games in Vista to see if there's any improvement.

Soon Vista will become the next XP, and businesses will eventually migrate. Will be several years, though, I'm sure.
Don't bet on it. I live near Detroit, and Chrysler will be switching to Vista starting this summer.

That's just one corporation though. I work for a Fortune 500 company and I don't see Vista in our future for quite awhile still. Many branches just got new Dells with XP Pro. We cycle machines every four years.

But yours is just one company... :p
Anyway, it's a huge company, and several "other very big companies in the industry" (hint wink) have mentioned starting the switch by the end of the year. These are some of the biggest corporations in the nation... but only three...;)

Yes. One large company that won't be switching for quite awhile.

I only said several years, not a decade or something. By the end of several years most businesses will probably have migrated.

I also don't see any financial practicality for small businesses to switch anytime soon.

Not enough options on the poll so I chose "Other." I think it should be extended a few more years since it is Microsoft's flagship OS, even now, whether they like it or not. Vista will take another year or two before it's penetrated enough to the point where people automagically think Vista when referring to a Microsoft computer OS. They sure as hell aren't there yet considering all this hubbub going on right now about XP's "death sentence" that could or could not be looming so close.

I don't even run XP 32 bit anymore, moved to XP x64 years ago and never really looked back. I do testing with XP x86 but that's about it - I have countless images of XP x86 installations all over the place for native or VM hosted testing purposes.

It's been a good OS, probably the best OS Microsoft put out for consumers ever, even in spite of the media blitzing done since Vista was released. Vista has some great stuff, and it's redesign from the core (now that it has the heart of Server 2008 beating there) is a major plus for it, but even so, I have no need for it. Even the x64 flavors - aside from Vista Business, which if I ran Vista as my desktop OS that would be the one - don't quite perform as well as this hardware does with XP x64 which I have tuned to near-perfection.

XP still has a lot of life in it, definitely. Where it goes from here, there's no real way to know that just yet... only time will tell.

I know my company would only switch to vista at this point if XP was no longer available. We are already making plans with our software vendors for compatibility but we will continue to roll out workstations with XP so long as it is an option for us.

Most of our users don't know anything about windows anyway so the learning curve is about the same regardless of OS for them. The added hardware requirements are the largest downside for my company in regards to Vista.

It would be nice if they developed a somewhat revamped xp pro 32bit and 64 bit that took the place of vista business and was only available OEM. So you could still get it as an option if you were prebuilding from one of the major manufacturers.

As long as an operating system is still widely used, I think MS should support it until such time that it is a dinosaur and is no longer compatable to newer technology. They should continue to offer XP to OEM manufacturers and consumers alike...why should they care about the source of their income? Choices are good....it's a win/win situation.

Oh. That sucks. I can't wait for the time when there's only one version to worry about.

Yeah right. Numerous devices and apps aren't coded for it, and never will be by certain companies. I know it's a lot better now, but much has been abandoned and will not be revived to be compatible.

I didn't have a choice, as I've gotten XP Pro 32-bit and Vista Business 32-bit through school. Plus I'm poor, but maybe someday I'll build myself a nice Intel quad-core 64-bit machine. Maybe by then Windows 7 will be out and I can have three machines with a different OS to fiddle around with.

Other

Vista has gotten comfortable within the consumer arena, but many businesses are still using XP, and many consumers are using both. I dual boot, but I find myself using XP more because I know what works with it, and sometimes with Vista you don't know if an app is going to install and work properly. Plus my Logitech keyboard uses iTouch, which Logitech no longer updates, so the special keys and functions won't work under Vista.

Soon Vista will become the next XP, and businesses will eventually migrate. Will be several years, though, I'm sure. I see myself hanging onto my XP Pro CDs for a long time, and I plan to always have an XP machine around.

Once I get my Palit 9600GT Sonic, I'll probably try some games in Vista to see if there's any improvement.

I voted other for this reason also....

I want to be able to keep buying XP for all the PC's I manage at work.

let it die already. its had a good run. we'll all be moving to vista soon enough and then when windows 7 comes out, we'll be bitching about upgrading from vista. :p:rolleyes:

let it die already. its had a good run. we'll all be moving to vista soon enough and then when windows 7 comes out, we'll be bitching about upgrading from vista. :p:rolleyes:

Speak for yourself. I plan to be running XP x64 for oh, another 5 years at the minimum. :D Yeah, I know we're talking about XP x86, not XP x64 but but but. Then again, Windows Server 2008... that's some damned fine OS, it truly is.

I've never once - not with this nick, not with any other accounts I've had at this forum - said I'd use Vista as my own desktop OS over XP x64 or Windows Server 2003. If I went back and polled my own posts over the past 8 years or so that I've been around here under said nicks, I'd probably find the progression from 2K when it came out through XP to 2K3 and then squarely to XP x64 where I remain today.

I do post quite often when it comes to Vista, that's true, but that's just because I can't stand watching people spout off stuff that simply isn't true. Above and beyond all other things, I believe if people are going to participate in a forum like this one, especially the OS subforum, then I think they should be accurate, at the bare minimum. It's the constant "Vista bashing" where people just do that spouting off regurgitating something they read or heard a rumor about without being able to back it up.

I like Vista, I do. I think it's "neat" for the most part, and useful up to a point. But as my own personal desktop OS? Not a snowball's chance in Hell, and I've lived there too. :D

How about an option for, Yes, I like XP, keep it around for a while. I also like Vista as well. I like choice.

I wouldn't say that XP is better than Vista, but it's definitely still a great OS and I would hate to see support for it die any time within a few years.

Snip..] Chrysler will be switching to Vista starting this summer.

Okay, so Modred189 knows of 1 company that will..and...

That's just one corporation though. I work for a Fortune 500 company and I don't see Vista in our future for quite awhile still. [Snip..].

GJSNeptune knows of 1 that wont'.. and..

But yours is just one company... :p

Bingo, so both of you know a company that will and 1 that won't... so..

Yes. One large company that won't be switching for quite awhile.

Yes, I believe that's been established, you both know one each doing separate things... therefore..

I only said several years, not a decade or something. By the end of several years most businesses will probably have migrated.

I also don't see any financial practicality for small businesses to switch anytime soon.

Wait, what? You both have personal adages as to why you feel Vista will be or won't be adopted by businesses. But, both are on equal keels, respectively--and neither of you seem to have ESP..so.. How on earth did you arrive at your outcome?

1 + 1+ x = Z

Not good enough for the gander, I guess?

As long as an operating system is still widely used, I think MS should support it until such time that it is a dinosaur and is no longer compatable to newer technology. They should continue to offer XP to OEM manufacturers and consumers alike...why should they care about the source of their income? Choices are good....it's a win/win situation.

I agree, however, how do you arrive at the appropriate cut-off? 10, 100, 1000, 10,000? Who sets the boundary? I know and hear of ppl who still hold dear to Amigas, so..

I just don't like flaky indecisive businesses or leaders.. Just what I'd expect from Ballmerm, though.

Microsoft will certainly provided extended support for XP until at least 2014, just not sell it.

I think Vista is generally better than XP and that XP needs to come off the shelves to encourage migration; most of the anti-Vista sentiment is outdated hearsay. However, XP should still be made available to those who have a valid reason not to use XP, such as low-power devices like the Eee PC and for anyone who has mission-critical software that's not Vista compatible (though that surprises me by now). That's likely to be the way it works out anyway.

Well, all I know is I order desktops all the time, and need to start looking into Vista.

Can't get our logon script working is about the only problem I've had with it.

But otherwise, I don't care a ton.
Vista is a fine OS. I won't UPGRADE our existing XP to Vista at all, but getting new Vista machines is just fine and dandy to me.

Back