• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Improperly applied thermal compound

Joined
May 22, 2008
Messages
35
I built a new system yesterday and forgot how to apply thermal compound. I put about 4-6 BBs worth of Arctic Silver 5 on there and spread it over the entire heatspreader. My heatsink (ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro) already had a thermal compound pre-applied and I left that on. I also removed the heatsink 2-3 times during installation because of those stupid Intel mounting clips.

I know now that I screwed this up, and should have put much less AS on it and removed the compound from the Freezer 7 first. I don't plan on overclocking it though, and I'm wondering how bad it would be to just leave it on, rather than having to take it all off, have Articlean overnighted to me, and reapply. Will I damage my CPU or will it just not run as cool as it should?

Thanks for any help.
 
I built a new system yesterday and forgot how to apply thermal compound. I put about 4-6 BBs worth of Arctic Silver 5 on there and spread it over the entire heatspreader. My heatsink (ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro) already had a thermal compound pre-applied and I left that on. I also removed the heatsink 2-3 times during installation because of those stupid Intel mounting clips.

I know now that I screwed this up, and should have put much less AS on it and removed the compound from the Freezer 7 first. I don't plan on overclocking it though, and I'm wondering how bad it would be to just leave it on, rather than having to take it all off, have Articlean overnighted to me, and reapply. Will I damage my CPU or will it just not run as cool as it should?

Thanks for any help.

Too much thermal paste will act like an insulator. The stuff already on the Freezer 7 was MX-2 which better than AS5. You should have just used the pre-applied stuff and nothing else. Oh well, hindsight 20/20 and all that.

I doubt you'd damage your processor, but it's likely to run very hot, possibly even to the point of throttling. Get it cleaned up and done right as quick as you can. (You don't need the Articlean stuff, just use rubbing alcohol).
 
Too much thermal paste will act like an insulator. The stuff already on the Freezer 7 was MX-2 which better than AS5. You should have just used the pre-applied stuff and nothing else. Oh well, hindsight 20/20 and all that.

I doubt you'd damage your processor, but it's likely to run very hot, possibly even to the point of throttling. Get it cleaned up and done right as quick as you can. (You don't need the Articlean stuff, just use rubbing alcohol).

He's right, you should remove it and reseat. Clean off all the thermal compound and reapply. It won't take long and it's an easy way to help lower temperatures on your CPU. There are some guides for applying on their website.
 
so that crap on the bottom of the ASF7 is good?

i was deciding whether to remove and use as5 when i get it
 
Arctic cooling MX2 is better by several degrees than AS5. If you are ordering some TIM, buy it instead. As was posted, not rubbing alcohol, but isopropyl alcohol can easily be used to clean off the CPU and heatsink. I just use paper towels, but you can also use lint-free cloth that you can get in the eyeglass section at Walmart for about $2.

Too much thermal paste can really hurt your temps.
 
so that crap on the bottom of the ASF7 is good?

i was deciding whether to remove and use as5 when i get it

Yeah the stuff on the bottom of the ASF7 Pro is some of the best stuff you can get. Whats really hilarious is if found a post (and there have been a few) with someone talking about "scraping the junk off the bottom of the F7 Pro" and using MX-2 instead :p:p:p
 
Arctic cooling MX2 is better by several degrees than AS5. If you are ordering some TIM, buy it instead. As was posted, not rubbing alcohol, but isopropyl alcohol can easily be used to clean off the CPU and heatsink. I just use paper towels, but you can also use lint-free cloth that you can get in the eyeglass section at Walmart for about $2.

Too much thermal paste can really hurt your temps.

Or Q Tips. Everyone already has Q Tips. Takes about 3 or 4 Q Tips dipped in iso alcohol to get a CPU and HSF base looking perfect.
 
Arctic cooling MX2 is better by several degrees than AS5. If you are ordering some TIM, buy it instead. As was posted, not rubbing alcohol, but isopropyl alcohol can easily be used to clean off the CPU and heatsink. I just use paper towels, but you can also use lint-free cloth that you can get in the eyeglass section at Walmart for about $2.

Too much thermal paste can really hurt your temps.

Oops, yeah Isopropyl, not rubbing. Don't know why I said that.
 
Yeah the stuff on the bottom of the ASF7 Pro is some of the best stuff you can get. Whats really hilarious is if found a post (and there have been a few) with someone talking about "scraping the junk off the bottom of the F7 Pro" and using MX-2 instead :p:p:p

hmmm just looks like there way too much on it, i dont use much at all when applying

Good if there was some comparison tests, how thick is the pre-applied stuff? like a mm or two cause thats way too much
 
that's why you go with isopropyl over rubbing alcohol. As was stated, rubbing alcohol is only 70% and can leave junk behind.
 
Unless you are overclocking none of these extra techniques matter. It does not matter what paste you use either.

Edit: Just clean off all the paste pick your method of application and be done with it. As long as you do not have high temps you will be fine.
 
FWIW, I've been to almost every store around me, CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Eckerd, every grocery store. The only "isopropyl" alcohol I can find is 70%. Highest percentage rubbing alcohol I can find is 70%. Both of which have the same exact ingredients: isopropyl alcohol and purified water. When in doubt READ THE LABLE!

There is no difference between "rubbing" and "isopropyl" alcohol besides the name. Although, some, and I stress SOME, rubbing alcohol was fragranced with mint, but the liquid inside was colored green.

Now, I know you can get isopropyl in some areas of the country with higher than 70% content, but don't get everyones hopes up on finding some at their local grocery/pharmacy store.

And, from personal experience, 70% rubbing/isopropyl will do the job just fine.
 
Every Target store (pharmacy section) has the isopropyl (90%) on the shelvves right next to the rubbing (70%) alcohol; and its only $1 for a good size bottle-- enough to clean thousands of CPU surfaces:)
 
It takes about 14 seconds to undo the push pins and pull that heatsink off. It takes about 8 seconds to put it back on. WTF is your problem ?
 
Clean all the crap off with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, apply a rice sized amount of AS5 on the CPU. Use a razor blade, evenly spread the rice sized amount over the entire surface of the chip (not the part that goes under the retention part of course).

That's what I've been doing for a long time... Sure everyone says to put one long thin strip of AS5 on the top and let the hsf spread it out...
 
FWIW, I've been to almost every store around me, CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Eckerd, every grocery store. The only "isopropyl" alcohol I can find is 70%. Highest percentage rubbing alcohol I can find is 70%. Both of which have the same exact ingredients: isopropyl alcohol and purified water. When in doubt READ THE LABLE!

There is no difference between "rubbing" and "isopropyl" alcohol besides the name. Although, some, and I stress SOME, rubbing alcohol was fragranced with mint, but the liquid inside was colored green.

Now, I know you can get isopropyl in some areas of the country with higher than 70% content, but don't get everyones hopes up on finding some at their local grocery/pharmacy store.

And, from personal experience, 70% rubbing/isopropyl will do the job just fine.


Wow who got up on the wrong side of the bed.

The whole idea by clearly stating isopropyl so people know to use specifically that and there are no confusions.

Did you ever ask the stores if they carry 91%? I have never heard of a state law that prohibits it. I have never had a problem getting it in multiple states.
 
FWIW, I've been to almost every store around me, CVS, Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Eckerd, every grocery store. The only "isopropyl" alcohol I can find is 70%. Highest percentage rubbing alcohol I can find is 70%. Both of which have the same exact ingredients: isopropyl alcohol and purified water. When in doubt READ THE LABLE!

There is no difference between "rubbing" and "isopropyl" alcohol besides the name. Although, some, and I stress SOME, rubbing alcohol was fragranced with mint, but the liquid inside was colored green.

Now, I know you can get isopropyl in some areas of the country with higher than 70% content, but don't get everyones hopes up on finding some at their local grocery/pharmacy store.

And, from personal experience, 70% rubbing/isopropyl will do the job just fine.

Check home depot.....
 
Use Everclear!
Then use the rest to make Jungle Juice and commemorate your squeaky clean CPU.:cool:
 
Unless you are overclocking none of these extra techniques matter. It does not matter what paste you use either.

Edit: Just clean off all the paste pick your method of application and be done with it. As long as you do not have high temps you will be fine.

Wrong. Just because you're not overclocking does not mean you can't take 'extra' steps to ensure that you have a proper application. Even on normal daily rigs that I build that uses stock cooling I will take the necessary steps to make sure that there are no excessive grooves on the heatsink. Anything that has crappy thermal paste or pads intact will be removed thoroughly and cleaned.

Taking care of your computer is good practice. I've seen a lot of builders that don't take the extra steps and I'm the one who ends up repairing their botched up jobs.



As far as the whole 70% vs 90% vs 91% deal.. yeah that's all non-relevant. Buy the regular stuff at any drug store or department store (no scents or whatever). I've been using it for years, there's been no extra gunk material or buildup. Temperatures have all matched what the average results under similar scenarios. Discoloration of copper is normal under heat.
 
Wrong. Just because you're not overclocking does not mean you can't take 'extra' steps to ensure that you have a proper application. Even on normal daily rigs that I build that uses stock cooling I will take the necessary steps to make sure that there are no excessive grooves on the heatsink. Anything that has crappy thermal paste or pads intact will be removed thoroughly and cleaned.

Taking care of your computer is good practice. I've seen a lot of builders that don't take the extra steps and I'm the one who ends up repairing their botched up jobs.

Perfect example of how you should not clean a CPU. (I like how they wipe some off and call it a day).

A little can go a long way.
 
Just as a little addendum here.

Best compound cleaner I have ever used.....

kingsford.jpg


Doesn't cost you 10 bucks like arctic clean, and is pretty easy to find. ;)
 
Wrong. Just because you're not overclocking does not mean you can't take 'extra' steps to ensure that you have a proper application. Even on normal daily rigs that I build that uses stock cooling I will take the necessary steps to make sure that there are no excessive grooves on the heatsink. Anything that has crappy thermal paste or pads intact will be removed thoroughly and cleaned.

Taking care of your computer is good practice. I've seen a lot of builders that don't take the extra steps and I'm the one who ends up repairing their botched up jobs.



As far as the whole 70% vs 90% vs 91% deal.. yeah that's all non-relevant. Buy the regular stuff at any drug store or department store (no scents or whatever). I've been using it for years, there's been no extra gunk material or buildup. Temperatures have all matched what the average results under similar scenarios. Discoloration of copper is normal under heat.

Never said just slap a ton of paste on and run with it. I only said pick a method and do it. Do not worry too much about the type of paste and the most anal of application methods. That all comes with experience and personal preference. Looking at the OPs post it seems like he has very little experience so doing the basics is great for a start.
 
Back
Top